Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » need help on laptop ethernet connection

Author Topic: need help on laptop ethernet connection
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2010 09:57 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My current setup is an Acer netbook, it is connected wirelessly to a netgear router, which is connected via ethernet cable to an RCA cable modem. The router has 4 ethernet outputs, but when I hardwire my laptop directly, I get no connection to the internet. When I go to control panel and then network/internet connections, it shows that it's connected. When I turn off the wireless on the laptop, I can't connect.

Am I missing a setting on the laptop? The router lights up showing that it's made a connection with the laptop via the ethernet cable.

Thanks, Rick

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-29-2010 11:01 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming some recent version of Windows and generalizing... Go into Control Panel, Network Connections, Adapter Settings. For TCP/IP Properties make sure it's set up to obtain the IP address and DNS setting automatically (via DHCP).

If that's how it's currently configured, with the notebook plugged into the netgear, open a command prompt and do an "ipconfig /all". What does it show as your IP address? If it's 169.x.x.x then either the netgear is not allocating IP addresses via DHCP (the netgear's DHCP server function could be disabled); or the notebook is not communicating correctly with the netgear for some reason and can't obtain an IP address.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2010 01:07 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave, I am running XP and had to go thru a few different menus, but got it to work with your help.

Greatly appreciated!
Rick

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-09-2010 05:56 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats one of the annoyances of my laptop as well, and I think its related to how Windows prioritizes connections. For example, if I'm listening to an internet station over wifi and I connect via hardline to another switch or device, windows detects the connection and tried to re-route all you internet traffic to the highest priority connection available, regardless of whether there is a valid connection to the internet or not. In this example, my stream will drop until I disconnect the wired connection. I would be keen on a solution as well if anyone has any suggestions.

JJ

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: