Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Recommendations for computer speakers

Author Topic: Recommendations for computer speakers
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2010 12:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for recommendations here. Obviously there exists no better choice than this model from QSC, but I'm looking for something a bit less expensive for some computers. This is not for critical listening, but it would be nice if they didn't sound awful (like most computer speakers).

Price-wise, lets please put a cap at $100 on the recommendations, but something more around $50 would be a better choice. A "subwoofer" [Roll Eyes] is not necessary, but could be fine depending on the system. (For some reason many "subwoofers for computer speakers" that I've heard seem to concentrate on 100-200Hz frequencies, which is just dumb.)

One of my guys had purchased a pair of Altec computer speakers a few years ago that sound amazing. He paid something like $20 for them. The current Altec model is ummm [puke]

Anyone have a recommendation?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-07-2010 07:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you using them for? Will they travel with you and your laptop, or will they live in one spot? For the latter, I always just dig up some stereo receiver and hook a decent pair of bookshelf speakers up to it. You probably already have the receiver laying around collecting dust somewhere, maybe even the speakers, too. The only expense you might incur is for some Monster® Cable™. If you don't have a spare stereo receiver, hit the thrift store. It doesn't have to be fancy.

Otherwise, most computer speakers I have seen and heard have a definite rolloff on the low end as they expect to be paired with a "bass module".

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2010 08:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't need to be flat down to 20hz or anything like that. It just needs to not sound like I am listening to it through a poster tube.

They will stay put.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-07-2010 09:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick search revealed the following models you might try:

Altec Lansing Expressionless Bass FX3022
(Blah!!)

M-Audio Studiophile AV 40
(These are about $50 more than you want to spend, but from what I can tell they look pretty cool. AUX inputs on the front are a plus as well. If only there were a place to audition these.)

Or if money is tight this month you can go with this:
Sony SRS-T33 (silver)

Like I said, it was a quick search. Not thorough.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2010 10:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
M-Audio is pretty good top end audiophile stuff, esp with their PC sound cards ...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-07-2010 11:25 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use JBL Duet speakers on my computer.

Not top-of-the-line but for $49.00, they're pretty good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/377477-REG/JBL_DUETAL_Duet_Computer_Speakers.html

(B&H lists them for $59.00 but I didn't pay that much.)

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2010 09:33 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I have these , only about a month old and in the original box. This weekend I had a few beers and spent a shitload of money upgrading at best buy. This speaker system went back in the box, and will go to a pawn shop or sit in my closet and rot. You're welcome to it at the price of shipping and a Film-Tech shirt [Wink] . It is missing the mp3 cradle. It sounded pretty good, I think I spent $50 - 60 on them.

Rick

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2010 12:13 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd lean towards the M-Audio monitors as well. Amazon has the AV30's for $99, so that meets your budget, but they only go down to 90Hz, which isn't all that great. Good for a computer speaker, I guess, but that's not saying much.

The AV40 gets down to 85Hz, but both models have the same tweeter, which is a good thing. The crossover is a little higher on the 40's, which might mean a little bit nicer highs, but whether that's going to be noticeable in the environment you're in is up to you.

Given the price difference between the 30's and the 40's, I'd give the 30's a try first. Best Buy carries them (at least they do around here), so that would be a good way to possibly listen to each and decide, and return if you're not satisfied.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: