Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Harry Potter 7.1 leaked online...big surprise. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter 7.1 leaked online...big surprise.
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 02:32 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So much for the so-called "security" of D-Cinema: just found this news item about how the first 36 minutes of the movie is already on the 'net:
LINK

quote:
Movie bosses to prosecute 'Harry Potter' pirates
Nov. 17, 2010, 9:27 AM EST
Photos: 'Deathly Hallows'
Bing: 'Deathly Hallows' clips

WENN

Executives at the Warner Bros. film studio are planning to prosecute any Internet user caught pirating the new "Harry Potter" movie online, after scenes from the blockbuster leaked early.

The first part of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" hits the big screen on Friday, but earlier this week, the first 36 minutes of the blockbuster were discovered on several download sites.

Related: More on the 'Deathly Hallows'

Bosses at the movie studio are fuming over the leak, and have vowed to take legal action against "those involved."

A statement from Warner Bros. chiefs reads, "A portion of 'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part One' was stolen and illegally posted on the Internet. This constitutes a serious breach of copyright violation and theft of Warner Bros. property.

More: Get up to date with a 'Potter' Primer

"We are working actively to restrict and/or remove copies that may be available. Also, we are vigorously investigating this matter and will prosecute those involved to the full extent of the law."

The second part of the wizard tale, starring Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, is due to be released next July.

Makes me wonder if this movie was originated, post-produced and distributed EXCLUSIVELY on film if this kind of thing would still be happening?

Or better yet, eliminate the dvd/blu-ray Hollywood screeners!

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 02:39 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pffftt...come on, Tony. You're not falling for that are you? They leaked it themselves.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 02:59 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, a distinct possibility..but I'll bet the MPAA would have a cow over it. [Smile]

I guess the REAL test will be to see how soon (or if) the "pirated" material is taken down.

Manny said the same thing on the other HP7.1 thread.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 03:25 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Manny said the same thing on the other HP7.1 thread.
Hmmm...yes. Just saw that.

Why did you post the same thing in two different threads? [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 04:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares about the first half hour? If the LAST half hour was leaked there'd be a problem.

The whole thing will be online by 3:00 AM Friday anyway.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2010 07:40 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it would have still happened if it was exclusively on film. Its ok to hate on digital for the real problems it has, this is just stretching it.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 09:58 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Mike.

Manny, this has nothing to do with hating on digital, if you read my OP and stop to think for a minute, you'd realize that the point is, it's a matter of ease of transfer to online with so many stages being in the electronic domain. It is simply EASIER to get it online faster, without having to transfer from film elements first.

Remember that one of the key selling points of D-Cinema was supposed to be immunity from piracy.

And in the last few years piracy seems to have gotten worse, with better quality material showing up online. It is the worst I have seen in the 26+ years I have been in this business.

I think, now, that John hit it on the head, the STUDIO leaked that footage and is doing it for publicity.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 01:29 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better technology exists for piracy as well, I feel that even if D-cinema wasn't used in this we would probably still have a high quality pirated copy out there before it releases.

As for it being the studio releasing it, i'm not sure, but I wouldn't put it past them to use as a marketing ploy

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 05:24 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we'll know if this is really a advertising hoax IF no one is ever prosecuted. Time will tell.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-18-2010 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be cool would be if someone here were able to tell where it came from - either from decoding the crap code dots or IDing the watermarks on the screener. If it turned out to be from a screener then NATO should go after the studios for a practice that is potentially harmful to their business.

Not a likely scenario, but I can dream about it for a couple of minutes.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 04:00 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony: With so much of a movie like this being effects driven, even if you went traditional cut-neg, like "Inception," or the "Matrix" Trilogy I bet 70% of this film would come off of a film recorder. . .

And, this surprises me, this, maybe all of the "Harry Potters" have been Super 35 (not a 4-perf. scope neg. a full-aperture 2 perf. extraction from a 3-perf. frame). Super 35 films are one of the few areas in film presentation where quality has gotten better because of digital intermediates.

Even if you did a film without a single special effect, academy aperture, I don't think anyone in Hollywood has done a film workprint since the early 1990s.

So even there you have a chance to steal an electronic copy.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-18-2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the way Warner Bros. ratchets up compression levels to squeeze the video bit rate as much as possible on every video medium they sure make it easier for pirates to copy, manipulate and upload the show to the Internet (provided a digital source such as a studio screener is being used).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-18-2010 07:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, the DCP for HP is only about 93GB.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-18-2010 10:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. I wonder why Warner Bros. has at least some of its virtual prints (or maybe all, I don't know) "weighing" less than half of what most virtual prints use in hard drive space. Aren't most D-cinema virtual prints upwards of 200GB or more in size on the disc? There's lots of room to spare on those hard discs. They usually ship 300GB or larger hard discs. Why squeeze the video down to a smaller size when it isn't necessary?

Warner Bros. routinely does this on most of their Blu-ray titles. Sites like DVD Beaver provide all the stats. WB movies on Blu-ray typically have much lower bit rates and take up far less space on Blu-ray discs than titles from other studios. They use lower bit rates on audio or even lossy audio only if they can get away with it. It's funny in a way to see WB put a movie on a dual layer BD-50 and have the feature encoded to where it could almost fit on a single 25GB platter.

Obviously there is a philosophy in place at WB. A stupid one.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-18-2010 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That last awful Will Ferrell movie was something like 50GB, but of course that was suitable for the content.

Also the actual discs they are shipping out these days are as large as 1TB. The 1TB discs have come down so much in price, its foolish to go with something smaller, especially since they are now starting to throw as many as 5 different versions of the same movie onto the hard drive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: