Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » WB Remaking Wizard of Oz (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WB Remaking Wizard of Oz
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-16-2010 07:11 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/warner-bros-wants-robert-zemeckis-for-wizard-of-oz-remake-based-on-original-script/

This is such a colossally bad idea in my mind. Comments? Who would you love/hate to see in which roles?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-16-2010 08:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin Bieber as Dorothy, of course.

Oh and they should make it in 3D!!!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2010 10:46 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as it's Warners producing, and the story is all a dream (or is it?) I'd let Christopher Nolan direct it. Film it in IMAX of course. Cast would be Ellen Page as Dorothy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the Scarecrow, Tom Hardy as Tin Man, Leo DiCaprio as the Cowardly Lion, Ken Watanabe as the Wizard, Marion Cotillard as the Wicked Witch of the West. Christian Bale could be the head of the Guards.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-16-2010 11:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. It's bad enough to hear Warner Bros. wanting to do a remake of The Wizard of Oz, but the remake idea seems to be a foregone conclusion if Disney is pushing its own efforts at redoing Oz.

Maybe this is part of the end game to kill movie theaters, then kill America's movie industry and then ultimately "outsource" it all to China and India (with white, American owners still somehow, hopefully in control). This makes me feel like punching a puppy in the face. Not that I would actually do that. But figuratively, yeah, I want to smash something out of anger over this nonsense.

What's next? A remake of Mario Puzo's: The Godfather starring Will Ferril, Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller? Or how about McG helming a new "re-visioned" E.T.: The Extraterrestrial, naturally with Justin Bieber playing "Elliot."

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 04:06 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - this story had me so baffled and dumb struck that I completely neglected the forum rules. I guess everyone else was so moved by the story that they didn't notice either. Apparently it's too late to edit my original post, so here we go:

Link

quote:
Warner Bros Wants Zemeckis For 'Wizard Of Oz' Remake Based On Original MGM Script
By MIKE FLEMING | Tuesday November 16, 2010 @ 6:59pm EST

Whenever you remake a revered Hollywood film, there’s bound to be controversy, but going right to the original material is certainly an interesting approach. Warner Bros is in early talks with Robert Zemeckis to direct a live-action remake of the The Wizard of Oz and plans to use the original script from the 1939 classic. Warner Bros owns the screenplay because Ted Turner bought it along with the MGM library before Warner Bros bought Turner’s empire. This latest Oz twist comes as Disney is trying very hard to mount The Great And Powerful Oz. Sam Raimi is developing that film while he simultaneously develops World of Warcraft for Warner Bros and Legendary. Disney and Raimi want Robert Downey Jr as their star. The original Wizard of Oz script had a total of 19 writers (seems not much has changed in Hollywood) with many of them uncredited, including Bert Lahr who played the film’s Cowardly Lion. This wouldn’t be the first hugely high-profile remake for Zemeckis; he's in the middle of a Yellow Submarine animated redux for Disney, scheduled for a 2012 release. Also, after working for years in performance-capture animation, Zemeckis has been moving toward a return to a live-action films, attaching himself to Timeless also at Warner Bros.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 11:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is old news, actually. I posted a thread about this last March, but it looks like the idea has morphed into a true re-make rather than a "reimagining" as reported in the previous story... I'll reproduce it here in case the link has gone dead.

quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off Disney's massive success with Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland," Warner Bros. wants to remake another childhood classic. Like, really classic.

The studio is examining two existing "Wizard of Oz" projects, with an eye toward giving one of them a modern gloss and moving it toward the screen.

One project, called "Oz," currently lives at Warner's New Line label. It's being produced by Temple Hill, which is behind a little franchise called "Twilight," and has a script written by Darren Lemke, a writer on the upcoming "Shrek Forever After."

A second "Wizard of Oz" project, set up at Warners proper, skews a little darker -- it's written by "A History of Violence" screenwriter Josh Olson and focuses on a granddaughter of Dorothy who returns to Oz to fight evil. "Clash of the Titans" producer Basil Iwanyk and his Thunder Road Pictures are behind that one. ("Spawn" creator Todd MacFarlane is potentially involved in a producerial capacity, to give you some idea of the tone.)

While the idea of a new "Wizard of Oz" movie is said to be in the development, let's-bat-this-around stage, it's been advanced seriously enough on the lot that representatives for some of the top directors around Hollywood have been briefed.

The Judy Garland-starring "The Wizard of Oz" from 1939 -- we could give you the refresher on witches, tin men, Dorothy and everyone else, but really, do we need to? -- has been given alternative treatments before. There was the 1978 black-themed film adaptation of the stage play "The Wiz." And of course about six years ago came the Broadway adaptation of Gregory Maguire's "Wicked," an alternative story of girls, witches and Emerald City politics. The property proved a huge stage hit, prompting a film version that's in development at Universal and "Wanted" producer Marc Platt.

Audiences are likely to respond to the idea of a new silver screen "Wizard of Oz" with gusto ("at least the first one was good," said one colleague we told) or with horror, precisely because the original is such a classic.

But for Warners, there's plenty of appeal in trying to take the story of Dorothy & Co. back to the big screen. For one, there's the bonkers $210 million global opening for "Alice," which shows that if you're trying to create a mega-blockbuster, one smart way to do it is to take a title people know and update it for the effects era. And there's a neat symmetry, since the Technicolor version of the classic film did for color in the movies what a lot of people say that "Avatar," "Alice" -- and now, perhaps, "Wizard" -- could do for 3-D in the movies.

With its Harry Potter series drawing to an end, Warners also likes the idea of a franchise, and "Wizard of Oz" and the many books L. Frank Baum wrote featuring many of the same characters (all of which are in the public domain) fit the bill nicely. And let's not forget the property's strong, young female protagonist, hugely in vogue now in the post -Twilight" and -"Alice" eras.

There could still be questions about the project's title (the book's "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" is in the public domain but the movie's "The Wizard of Oz" is not; it's owned by MGM, whose library is partly owned by Warner Bros.). And then there's the matter of whether filmmakers would make the movie with musical elements, as the original, of course, did. Those questions aside, it could be the moneymaking formula.

Follow the yellow brick road. It's strewn with CGI, tent poles and 3-D. And, of course, a little green.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-17-2010 12:27 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Lord! Is nothing sacred?

This reminds me of the April Fools prank I pulled some years ago, where I announced a remake of CABARET.

I was hoping this was also some kind of a sick joke.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2010 04:45 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when you really think about it, it is a sick joke.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-17-2010 06:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: www.deadline.com
Also, after working for years in performance-capture animation, Zemeckis has been moving toward a return to a live-action films, attaching himself to Timeless also at Warner Bros
That's the best thing in that article.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2010 07:18 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Hollywood. Never let common sence get in the way of greedy corporate profits. They will undoubtly let digital (crud) effects take over the film, putting the story in the background; or better yet, do it in 3D, and get rid of the story all together. Just give us a 2 hour long string of goofy 3D effects, we don't need a story line getting in the way.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2010 01:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next thing you know...they'll try to remake Miracle on 34th street! [Wink]

Its a Wonderful Life would be another good candidate for a remake [Roll Eyes]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 07:22 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Its a Wonderful Life would be another good candidate for a remake
Already done, with Marlo Thomas in the Jimmy Stewart role(!)

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2010 09:48 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson

That's the best thing in that article.

Its to bad that he has already come out and said that this report of him doing it is false. He will not touch it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2010 10:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's clear that someone should remake Warner Brothers!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-18-2010 10:09 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They remade Miracle on 34th St theatrically in 1994: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110527/

And for tv in 1973 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070395/) and

1959 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307164/)

The deep warm memories we have of these remakes should serve notice( but won't) to anyone else looking to remake the "classics" [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: