Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP Irvin Kershner - April 29, 1923 - November 27, 2010

Author Topic: RIP Irvin Kershner - April 29, 1923 - November 27, 2010
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-29-2010 01:49 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Irvin Kershner — who directed the "Star Wars" sequel "The Empire Strikes Back," the James Bond film "Never Say Never Again" and "Robocop 2" — has died. He was 87.

LA Times story

Kershner died Saturday in Los Angeles after a long illness, said Adriana Santini, a France-based actress who is a family friend.

Kershner already had made a number of well-received movies when he was hired by George Lucas to direct "Empire," which was the second produced but fifth in the "Star Wars" chronology.

The 1980 production was a darker story than the original. In it, hero Luke Skywalker loses a hand and learns that villain Darth Vader is his father. The movie initially got mixed reviews but has gone on to become one of the most critically praised.

Kershner told Vanity Fair in October that he tried to give the sequel more depth than the original.

"When I finally accepted the assignment, I knew that it was going to be a dark film, with more depth to the characters than in the first film," he said. "It took a few years for the critics to catch up with the film and to see it as a fairy tale rather than a comic book."

Kershner said he had only one sharp disagreement with Lucas. The script originally called for the heroine, Princess Leia, to tell space pilot Han Solo "I love you" and for him to reply "I love you, too."

"I shot the line and it just didn't seem right for the character of Han Solo," Kershner said.

Instead, actor Harrison Ford improvised the reply: "I know."

Lucas wanted the original line but after test previews agreed to leave in Ford's reply, which has gone on to be one of the best-known lines in the series.

The Philadelphia-born Kershner had both musical and photographic training and worked as a freelance illustrator before he turned to filmmaking. He graduated from the USC film school and in the 1950s made U.S. government informational films in Greece, Turkey and the Middle East.

He was a director and cameraman for a television documentary series called "Confidential File" in Los Angeles before getting his first movie break in 1958 when Roger Corman hired him to shoot a low-budget feature called "Stakeout on Dope Street."

He went on to direct a number of noted features in the 1960s and 1970s, including "A Fine Madness" with Sean Connery, Joanne Woodward and Jean Seberg, "The Flim-Flam Man" with George C. Scott, "Loving" with George Segal and Eva Marie Saint, and "The Eyes of Laura Mars" with Faye Dunaway.

The 1976 television movie "Raid on Entebbe" earned him an Emmy nomination for direction.

Besides "Empire," his big-budget work included the 1983 James Bond movie "Never Say Never Again" with Connery and "Robocop 2" in 1990.

Kershner also occasionally acted. He played the priest Zebedee in Martin Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ."

-

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2010 02:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird, all these years I misread his name and thought it was "Irwin." I was all set to put up a correction note but then decided to verify.

Anyway, Empire was a great movie and the best directed of that series I think. R.I.P.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-29-2010 03:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'original' version was the best directed of the series. The Special Edition was a victim of 'Revisionist Bastardry' by Mr Lucas and suffered just like the rest of them as a result.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2010 04:10 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about telling all the craftsman at Kerner Optical to F-off.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-29-2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the original version of Empire. It is my favorite of the series.

Rest In Piece.

So sad that I have had to type that phrase twice today. [Frown]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 12:15 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't tell if "Eyes of Laura Mars" was intentionally cheesy, but I love it either way.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 01:35 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Empire Strikes Back is in my top 5 favorites of all time!
I think of it as a true masterpiece!
In fact i refuse to watch it again until the blu-ray arrives or a print drops into my lap crushing me into the floor [Big Grin]
RIP Irvin Kershner

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-02-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Smith
Talk about telling all the craftsman at Kerner Optical to F-off.
Would you mind expanding on that? I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 12:37 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Empire Strikes Back was the first film I ever saw projected and it is still my favourite in the series.

RIP

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was my first all out 70mm 6 track Dolby Stereo giant curved screen experience!
I was blown away!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-03-2010 01:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Empire" was def the best of the series, very dark and deep, yet still entertaining. I loved "Never Say Never Again", one of my favorite Bond films.

The one thing I remember about the first run of "Empire" in 35mm was that almost all of the prints were screwed up by the lab, they had streaks all throughout them from improper drying..it was most noticeable when Vader arrives in his shuttle at the start of the movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: