Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Japanese earthquake and tsunami (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Japanese earthquake and tsunami
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-11-2011 08:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching Otto Premenger's THE CARDINAL on DVD last night when the Civ Alert sirens sounded all over the state at about 9:15 last night. I put the movie into pause and switched over to TV and learned Hawaii was under a tsunami warning after a 8.9 earthquake struck the North eastern coast of eastern Honshu in Japan and generated a Pacific wide tsunami after the first waves slammed into Sendai about five minutes after the tremor. All of Honolulu' TV stations were showing actual footage of the waves moving slowly over the city and farmlands and I was very sad when I saw it. The quake struck Japan at about 7: 45 pm Hawaii time last night (Friday 2:45 pm in Japan) and a ' Tsunami Watch' was issued immediately for Hawaii. The 'watch' was upgraded to a full warning at 9:30 and residents were told to expect the first wave at about 3:10 the following morning. I was planning to stay up until that time but decided to go to bed until the waves arrived. When the waves struck the islands, nothing exciting was happening so I decided to go back to bed. When I tuned in at about 7:00 this morning, the waves did strike Hawaii as well as other locations around the Pacific but it was still too early to learn how severe the damage from the wave was. All I know so far was the damage in Hawaii was not severe but there was a loss of life on the west coast when a man photographing the incoming waves was swept away.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2011 08:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was still up when all of this started breaking out of Japan too: it was pretty scary watching the footage of a refinery on fire live.

My thoughts and prayers are with those in harms way right now.

AJG

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-12-2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family and friends, being in or around the Tokyo area or further south, are shaken up but fine.

My grandfather's home town (Taira in Iwaki in Fukushima prefecture) looks like it took a major hit. Been watching NHK, NTV, ANN, and FNN on-line news feeds here. Definitely scary images.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-12-2011 01:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although there were no loss of life in Hawaii, there was considerable property damage on all of the major islands. A lot of small boat harbors lost some moorings and people who did not take their craft out to sea had their vessel smash into piers and other boats. Some were washed away. The Kona coast on the big island of Hawaii suffered the most damage when eighteen homes and apartments were either destroyed or suffered major damage. A house was swept away and found floating at Kealakekua Bay, the site where Captain James Cook and some of his men were killed by the the local natives in 1779. The most dramatic video footage I saw last night during the ten o clock news was the strong surge of water washing across the street in the town of Kona. Considerable amount of damage to the beach front shops and stores occurred here including a foot of water that washed into the lobby of the King Kamehameha Hotel. The most alarming thing I saw that was captured with a infrared camera when the waves were due to hit the islands was a few people at Waikiki Beach who ignored warning to stay away from the area who wanted to see the waves come in. Unlike the idiot who was killed by the tsunami when he ignored warnings to stay away from the beach in California, these same fools were lucky this time but will they be if they tried it again when another tsunami threatens Hawaii?

-Claude

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And in other news "Battle: Los Angeles" opened on Friday to an estimated $13.5 Million on its way to a 35-40 Million dollar opening weekend.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My teenage neighbor across the street had no idea what happened in Japan but loved to see the destruction of LA.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-12-2011 03:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what the hell does THAT have to do with this?

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2011 03:03 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because the aliens caused the earthquake and the tsunami that followed

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-12-2011 04:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude Ayakawa
Although there were no loss of life in Hawaii, there was considerable property damage on all of the major islands. A lot of small boat harbors lost some moorings and people who did not take their craft out to sea had their vessel smash into piers and other boats. Some were washed away. The Kona coast on the big island of Hawaii suffered the most damage when eighteen homes and apartments were either destroyed or suffered major damage. A house was swept away and found floating at Kealakekua Bay, the site where Captain James Cook and some of his men were killed by the the local natives in 1779.
I thought of you when I first heard this story break, which was early morning on Friday our time. On weekday mornings I phone my girlfriend in Colton, CA (about 80 miles inland from the southern California coast) at 0500 my time / 2100 hers and we talk for an hour or so before I leave for work. On Friday, she'd heard the first news of the earthquake, but because I'd just got up and gone through the shower without having put the radio on, it was news to me. At that time, there were fears that the tsunami would devastate the entire Pacific islands and cause major damage to the west coast of the US, all the way from Alaska to San Diego. By late yesterday afternoon it seemed that thankfully those fears had not been realised. The Friday evening news broadcasts in Britain basically took the line that, apart from the one Darwin award nominee in Crescent City (sorry if that sounds a bit callous, but he was trying to surf the tsunami...), there had been no significant damage; and they specifically said that Hawaii was OK. Very sorry to hear that the infrastructural damage was in fact substantial, but of course glad that there don't seem to have been any injuries or deaths.

In the end, there was nothing of any consequence on the SoCal coast, but my other half was obviously a bit nervous. She has some very close friends in Santa Monica, who we've visited a few times, and I quipped yesterday that I was glad that we weren't sitting in a restaurant she likes that is just across the street from the pier there.

Captain Cook certainly seems to have had a knack for visiting the sites of natural disasters, about 300 years before they happened! He landed near Christchurch, too. Sitting here writing this about 50 miles from his birthplace and 40 from where he spent most of his childhood, I'm starting to get a tinsy bit nervous...

All that having been said, of course, my thoughts are with everyone in northern Japan. The infrastructural recovery from the Kobe earthquake took a decade and cost around $100bn, and from what I gather this disaster is an order of magnitude bigger.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-12-2011 08:50 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a sizeable portion of it still to go, the award for 'Dumbest Post Of The Decade' goes to:

JONATHAN M CRIST! for his completely disrespectful post in this very thread...

quote: Jonathan M. Crist
And in other news "Battle: Los Angeles" opened on Friday to an estimated $13.5 Million on its way to a 35-40 Million dollar opening weekend.

-----------------------

Paul, I'm glad your family were not affected by this terrible, terrible tragedy.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 01:09 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who is currently living in Japan teaching English. He lives near Koriyama so wasn't affected by the tsunami, he did get quite a shaking though. Of more concern to me now though is he is 60 miles northwest of the nuclear power plant that currently has two reactors (apparently) melting down.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 06:30 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Claude, I was very glad to hear that your state didn't get the distruction that they first were predicting.

And given the size of this thing, Japan there certainly could have been much more devastation that it sustained. They can be very proud of their preparedness with buildings all built to withstand quake forces and of their high-tech early warning systems for the quakes as well as for the incoming tsunami.

Even on our West Coast, where we KNOW there is a monsterous major fault, we have none of this. How is this possible?

Let's just hope that nuclear plant holds.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-13-2011 01:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the video I've seen of the tsunami rushing in and pulverizing those coastal cities and towns in Japan is both spectacular and sickening. My heart goes out to those people affected by this.

I watched one 6 minute long video that caught the instant the ocean water started rushing through the streets. The camera man was shooting from a metal stairway that led up a hill. The water just kept coming in higher and higher, first carrying cars and by the end of the video it was carrying or smashing buildings. Even the camera man's metal stairway started being taken apart, leaving a dozen or so spectators stranded on the hill. The whole town was being instantly destroyed.

It may take weeks for people to figure out just how many lives were lost and tally the full cost of the destruction. There's no telling what kind of impact this may have on the global economy.

I'm thankful the area of south western Japan where I lived back when I was a kid was spared. It looks like Tokyo will have lots of repairs to make.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 10:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, I'd be curious if you had a source for that video.

The ones I have seen are breathtaking, but sad.

AJG

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 10:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought all the footage from the Indonesian tsunami in 2004 was frightening but the ones from the last weeks was even more graphic Although it only looked like the water was moving inland, there were people in the path of the waves getting killed. So far, about 1600 people are known to have perished and there are more than fifteen hundred people still missing.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 10:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just from all the photos I've seen...I can't even imagine what the final toll will be. It scares me to even wonder.

How much warning did these towns have after the quake before the tsunami hit?

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: