Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Tron (1982) Screenings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Tron (1982) Screenings
Keri Delio
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2011 06:07 PM      Profile for Keri Delio   Email Keri Delio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if anyone else here is a fan of the original Tron film like me, but it is going to be playing in select cities at midnight showings.

Here is the list:
April 22 Nuart - Los Angeles
April 30 Ken - San Diego
May 6-7 Esquire - Denver
May 13-14 Uptown - Minneapolis
May 20-21 E Street - Washington D.C.
May 27-29 Sunshine - New York
June 10-11 Inwood - Dallas
June 17-18 Egyptian - Seattle

I am unsure if any of these engagements will be presented in 70mm or not.
I know there was a screening where it was shown in 70MM in LA on March 5th at the Aero Theatre, but outside of that I don't know
Regardless, my husband & I are going to the Inwood to see it. Neither one of us has seen it in the theater since it was originally released in 1982.

|  IP: Logged

James Wallor
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2011 06:22 PM      Profile for James Wallor   Email James Wallor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. It's too bad I'll be unable to make it to any of these, but we showed a DVD copy in our theater (would've loved to show a 35mm copy, but either the person ordering the movies asks for the DVD or Criterion, Fox, or Swank (whoever it is we happen to get that one from) prefers to send a DVD instead. In either case, given it was a DVD, it looked pretty good, all things considered.

I would've loved to see it when it came out... but my mother was 12... so that clearly couldn't happen.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-06-2011 08:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I did not think very much of the 1983 version of TRON, I loved the visual effects when I saw the movie at the Royal Theatre in Honolulu in 70mm during its first run. I was at Walmart yesterday and saw a display of the new Blu-Ray of TRON LEGACY as well as the original film. The BD came out in various editions and the one that had caught my eye was the five disc set that has TRON LEGACY in both 2-D and 3-D on Blu-Ray, a DVD, Digital Copy and a Blu-Ray of the original film. I had learned the original 65mm elements of the 1983 TRON was fully restored and the disc included a 90 minute documentary in HD of the making of the film and other extras. I could not resist so I bought the set of discs and watched the first 30 minutes of the 1983 film last night and was just amazed how great it looks. I love it when 70mm movies come out on Blu-Ray such as THE SOUND OF MUSIC, SOUTH PACIFIC and BARAKA. TRON is right up there with the others as far as the image quality is concerned. If you never saw TRON or the others in 70mm, watching them on Blu-Ray is the next best thing to seeing them in the large film format. I was also very pleased with the soundtrack of TRON on Blu-Ray because the original directional sound was retained.

-Claude

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 04-06-2011 08:36 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Tron kind of sucked, I was surprised that they greenlighted a new one after finding out how bad the original did.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different audience completely. Plus the super-hero and sci-fi genres are doing pretty well right now. Not to mention nostalgia.

4/30 at the Ken is on my calendar now. And yes, wish it could be 70, as well. (though the Ken is a single screen low-budget Landmark house, and I seriously doubt there is 70 capability there.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2011 10:03 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why why why did Chicago not get it?!

[Confused]

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-06-2011 10:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be willing to drive a considerable distance, to perhaps Dallas or Austin, to see a 70mm print of Tron in a quality presentation.

I'm not going to drive a significant distance to see it 35mm. And I'm certainly not willing to drive far to see the movie video projected. If I have to settle for 2K I'll just take the Blu-ray. Hey, that rhymes!
[Big Grin]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-07-2011 08:43 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up the Blu-ray set and watched the first movie for the first time since its original theatrical release.

Surprisingly, I liked it a lot better than I remember.

I now understand why it has a fan base.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2011 08:55 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Washington's engagement should read:

May 20-21 Uptown - Washington D.C.

[Wink]

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2011 05:30 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Prytania Theatre in New Orleans, LA will be playing it on 4/8 and 4/9.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-09-2011 07:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
1983 version of TRON
Claude, Tron was released 7/9/82.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-10-2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw TRON in 70mm at the Regency in SLC that early October of 1982 where it only had a one week engagement (it came out in our area in late July of 1982) with a small audience attending. Did get to go up in the booth to see the machinery (AA'2s with large xenon lamphouses of a make I can't remember)..

...70mm is STILL the way to see movies on a large mega screen...

Keri Delio
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 05:22 PM      Profile for Keri Delio   Email Keri Delio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the updates on the dates and locations guys.

I wish it was playing in 70mm as well but it will just be fun to get out and see it in the theater again at a midnight showing.
The Inwood is one of a handful of older theaters left in Dallas that are still operating and I haven't seen a movie there since the mid 80s.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-15-2011 10:50 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the screening at the Aero in Santa Monica was 70mm.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 01:42 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TRON in 70mm 2 b shown in London i late Lune 2011

http://www.in70mm.com/now_showing/index.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: