Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Can Anybody Here Read Cuneiform?

Author Topic: Can Anybody Here Read Cuneiform?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-10-2011 10:44 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is in the middle of cleaning out her father's estate. Among all the strange things she came across in his collection, she found this small cuneiform token.

-

-

It is almost exactly 1 1/4 inches square and it's about 5/8 inch thick.

Apparently, the ancient Sumerians/Babylonians/Assyrians had a custom of using small tokens like this as inventory records. It is likely that this one of those tokens which was used to record how many baskets of grain was kept in a storage bin or how many sheep were in somebody's herd. I don't think this is anything that's especially significant. Probably just run-of-the-mill stuff.

However, I can't even figure out which way is up, let along which language it's written in. I'm guessing it's one of the Akkadian scripts. That rules out ancient Sumer but still leaves Babylonian or Assyrian as possibilities. (i.e. Ancient Mesopotamia.)

Anybody care to take a crack at deciphering it? [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite sure, but to me it reads as "EAT AT JOE'S."

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2011 01:26 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It says No Smoking or Cell Phones Permitted In The Amphitheater. [Smile]

While those tables certainly could be real, more likely they are museum store reproductions that were quite common back in the 1960's and 70's.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-10-2011 01:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think it's a reproduction. (Could be but I don't think so.)

First, this tablet was found with a collection of other things that are real:
A piece of lava from Mt. Vesuvius.
A miniature hand carved elephant made of real ivory.
A hand-strung strand of natural pearls.

All of these things were collected during WW-II and brought back to the US upon her father's return. So, pretty much, as long as we keep any of these objects or donate them to a museum, we're okay but it's probably illegal to sell them.

From the research that I have done, so far, I learned that the ancient Babylonians and Assyrians used to make little clay tokens like these and use them to tally up their agricultural stores. For instance, if you had so much grain stored in a silo (or whatever they used back then) you could present one of these tokens and take so much wheat or rice or whatever was written on the token. So, basically, they are like receipts for goods sold.

Whatever it is, it looks like gobbledygook to me.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-10-2011 04:42 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Sounds like you're describing "receipt currency." What our dollar used to be.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: