Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Abandoned Theatres

Author Topic: Abandoned Theatres
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 08:55 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link below is to a site that contains 75 photographs of abandoned theatres. No story to copy over, and far too many photographs to copy over to Film-Tech. Hopefully the moderators won't crush me for just posting the link, but I found the site a sad reminder of what once was, when the theatre itself was part of the experience.

Abandoned Theatres

I can't speak about any of the others, but the Baronet Theatre in Asbury Park NJ was/is slated for eventual condemnation and demolition as part of an urban renewal project.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 09:20 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, in a depressing sort of way.

FWIW: The Lyric in Birmingham is owned by the Alabama Theatre and they are raising money to restore it.

Steve G can probably answer this: was the State/Pitts in Culpepper saved for the Smithsonian(?), or have they abandoned it?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 09:27 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The #49 theatre is the Loew's Kings Theatre and is owned by NYC and is going to be fully restored. It's one of the 5 Loew's Wonder Theatres built in the late 1920's. All seat over 3500 people.
  • Loew's 175th. Street Theatre (Manhattan)
    Loew's King's Theatre (Brooklyn)
    Loew's Paradise Theatre (Bronx)
    Loew's Valencia Theatre (Queens)
    Loew's Jersey Theatre (Jersey City, NJ)

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 09:58 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. 10 is the East End, there is actually a lot less remaining than would appear in the photo. There is no roof or roof structure and absolutely nothing left inside---just 4 walls. The other theatre is the Hippodrome which has undergone a total and complete renovation and is available for rentals, etc.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. 28 is in Columbus, Ohio, not Youngstown. It is the Cleve Theatre. The location has been purchased by a local church with plans to reopen it as some sort of theatre.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures... sad though.

The Olympic Theatre (Forks, WA) burned last year. Newspaper says transients were lighting matches inside to see around. The place was ALL wood... only took about 15 minutes to burn to the ground.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 10:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Billings MT has three abandoned theatres, all Carmikes: A 7-plex that was originally a 3 and then a 4; a twin, and another 7. They currently have a 10 plex and a 14.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-11-2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#2 and #60 are St Alphonus Hall. Not a movie theatre. I believe that it is associated with the adjacent church or a school. Expected to be demo'd.

#47 is the Victory Theatre in Holyoke, MA. I believe that this one is being restored (or supposed to be).

#52 is the Orpheum in New Bedford, MA. I don't know the details.

#53 is at the Norwich State (Mental) Hospital in Connecticut. I don't know why, but there are a bunch of abandoned mental institutions in the New England area, and many of them have (had) nice-ish theatres.

I have not personally visited any of these.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-11-2011 02:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
East Saint Louis is in Illinois.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 03:25 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Grand Theatre 12
6601 Plaza Drive in New Orleans LA
2003-2005
Southern Theatres owned this stadium-seating cinema.
It was destroyed byhurricane Katrina

It's the only 21st century theatre on this list.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 04-11-2011 03:27 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Westwood Theatre Toronto. Closed in 1998, still standing as of today. Marquee and Pepsi logo still there. Inside, there is a note at the box office that says "we are closed, the closest theatre is the Skyway 6" which actually closed after the Wood.

Jerry D. Cox
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 05:20 PM      Profile for Jerry D. Cox   Email Jerry D. Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Went to the "Lyric"Theatre in Birmingham,Back in 1953 to see
A 3-D Movie.It is across the street from the AlaBama theatre

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: