Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Strange organ console.

Author Topic: Strange organ console.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-13-2011 02:24 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was listening to some Bach on You Tube during lunch at work a few days ago, and there were some pictures of the console, which is rather strange. This is one which I was listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgXE0YJtVJg&feature=related

During the Allegro there is a picture of the organ case and pipework, but the console is nowhere to be seen. During the Grave, at about three minutes, there is a picture of the console, but this time the organ case cannot be seen, so it is not possible to tell where they are located in relation to each other. Finally, during the Presto, there are more pictures of the case and pipework, but again the console cannot be seen.

The console seems to be of an unusual design, with the stop jambs positioned parallel to the manuals, and it looks like some of the stop knobs would be out of reach of the organist.

There's another video of the same organ here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC6k74Lx3DU&feature=related

In this one it is possible to see a better view of the console, and it looks even odder. It seems to have been squeezed into a narrow space, and there seem to be another set of stop knobs behind the organist. Surely, (s)he isn't expected to turn around to operate them? It even looks like there might be a second set of manuals here, hidden behind a wooden panel, but I don't think there could be a second pedal board, and the bench is positioned just about midway,so there wouldn't be room for two organists to play together.

I know that there are several organists here; does anybody know why this console is designed like this?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-13-2011 05:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet that some or all of the stops are pneumatically actuated and that there's a button somewhere to change settings.

Either that or there's an assistant to pull stops on the organist's cue.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-13-2011 06:02 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

could well be on a more modern organ, but I think this one dates from long before such things were introduced.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-14-2011 09:45 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it's in a Catholic church they probably have an abundance of acolytes.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2011 10:49 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a tracker (mechanical action) organ. The video shows the organ case. The console is at the bottom of and integral to the case.

Indeed the layout of the draw knobs is inconvenient at best, and likely an assistant changed registrations for the player.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-14-2011 12:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen several modern trackers built with the draw knobs positioned like that

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-14-2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, they had "Stop pullers"- people assigned to pull the drawknobs on cue - positioned on each side of the "playdeck" -which was the term then for the manual setup for these baroque organs.

Watch this example of "Stop Pullers" in action with this early 20th century piece of Louis Vierne: "Naļades" on a baroque organ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1hvfViRsDI
... and similar operations at another baroque organ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGXsiBr81wk&feature=related

Being all mechanical tracker action-there were no couplers until the Romantic Era and Cavaille-Coll when the Symphonic Organ was introduced.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: