Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kodak 3D software for their Printers

Author Topic: Kodak 3D software for their Printers
Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2011 10:10 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I received an eMail from Kodak offering an updated software and firmware update for my Kodak ink jet printer. The free package includes directions for shooting and printing 3D Anaglyph images using the Kodak printer and this new software.

It is necessary to use glasses to view the images after printing. You must also take two images with your digital camera. The camera is shifted 3 inches from the first position and the second capture is made.

The software comes with a demonstration image that can be printed in both 2D and 3D form.

The glasses are the usual Red / Cyan filter type and there are even clip-on versions available for regular eyeglasses.

I have not tried printing but did download and install the firmware package.

KEN

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-19-2011 03:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised there aren't 3D cameras that have two lenses and two shutters 3" apart. (Or are there?)

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2011 10:23 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A simple camera shifter would do the job just fine. After all these are pictures of still objects.

If you had two cameras, you could space them in a fixture and take the captures simultaneously. You would however need to load the images from two memory cards that way.

There were old 35mm stereo cameras with dual lenses and shutters. They had the slides mounted in special holders and used a special viewer. I never saw a stereo projector for those though.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2011 10:48 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuji make a 3D camera - I think it's now the W3.
I have a W1 and it takes great pictures.
I used it at CinemaCon (whenever I was allowed to take pictures).
It also takes a 2D version at the same time.
It has a lenticular screen on the back but that doesn't work that well.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2011 10:54 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
There were old 35mm stereo cameras with dual lenses and shutters. They had the slides mounted in special holders and used a special viewer. I never saw a stereo projector for those though.
The most legendary stereo projector is the Stereo Realist Model 82. In more recent years, it's been nicknamed "Darth Vader." Can't imagine why...

-

The Realist projector is known to be a bit overdesigned and fussy during projection. I use the more basic TDC 116. Not as sleek as the Realist, but it works simply and effectively.

-

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2011 01:55 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hillary,

Our part of the world is underprivileged in the projector department.

The "Darth Vader" model is really very neat and could easily be marketed today at the toy stores along with scenes from the soon to be 3D'd episodes of the movie. How cool is that?

KEN

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome, Ken. [Smile]

Sorry to hear you folks were "projector poor" in Michigan. You should have stormed the border to Wisconsin, and headed to Milwaukee, home of the David White Company (maker of the Stereo Realist line)!

And yeah, that projector design could inspire some future Star Wars 3D toy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: