Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mexican Coke (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mexican Coke
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 04-19-2011 09:17 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I just had the opportunity to pick up some 355ml glass bottles of Mexican Coca-Cola. I have to say, it does taste different. A little less sour or fizzy than American Coke.

-

I do like the glass bottle and metal cap that needs a bottle opener.

I did pay $2.47 per bottle for this treat.

Anyone a fan?

|  IP: Logged

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2011 09:27 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bottled coke (at least to me) has always had a slightly different taste than plastic or aluminum does. But that might just be me!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-19-2011 09:33 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the drink bottled in Mexico is sweetened with sugar whereas the stuff bottled in the US is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup...

I don't drink soft drinks much any more, but when I did, I did like the stuff that came from Mexico better than the local bottler's stuff.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 04-19-2011 09:34 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul-

I did forget to mention that the Mexican Coke is sweetened with sugar. But the bottle is also a different experience than the plastic one.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2011 09:37 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on soft-drinks I have always liked Root Beer the best! Coke is second and Pepsi is a very far distant third. My drinks of choice are coffee and hot tea. Now if the Mexican coke had the original formula well we would all like it better and be oh so addicted to it!!!

You can still fin dsome bottle coke in bottles but few and far between and usually the little ones.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Coke in glass bottles, or as post-mix, but it is so much more expensive here than a can or plastic bottle.

We get Coke from all over Europe in London, but the British version tastes the best. Not seen Mexican Coke yet though I'm sure you can buy it somewhere.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 04-19-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For you guys in America.

Does the ingredients say "sugar/glucose-fructose" or does it say "High Fructose Corn Syrup" in your regular plastic bottled Coke?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-19-2011 09:47 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real sugar in Mexican Coke, just like Europe.

Smoother, and foams like it did back in the 50s. Louis

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-19-2011 10:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Does the ingredients say "sugar/glucose-fructose" or does it say "High Fructose Corn Syrup" in your regular plastic bottled Coke?
High-Fructose Corn Syrup.

Also, at least here in the States they sell 6-packs of small (8-to-10 ounce) bottles of Coke that are flavored with HFCS. It's weird seeing bottled Coke that's flavored with that since I'm used to having the Mexican-imported ones available.

And Pepsi has its own sugar-sweetened variety both in "Pepsi Throwback" which doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon (despite being labelled by Pepsi as a "limited time" thing) although I did stop at one gas station here in town that had bottled Mexican Pepsi that was made w/ regular cane sugar.

(though I really want to find some "New Coke." I don't remember the difference)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-19-2011 10:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have read, regular CokeŽ IS New CokeŽ and Diet CokeŽ tastes more like the original CokeŽ than current non-diet CokeŽ.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2011 11:23 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coke makes a cane-sugar version of their signature drink for Passover. Just look for the yellow plastic bottle caps in your local stores.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-19-2011 11:24 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Cane sugar.

James Wallor
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2011 01:14 AM      Profile for James Wallor   Email James Wallor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mexi-coke is amazing, however not worth the price all the time.

I would love to have Pepsi Throwback in a glass bottle, I'm very curious as to what that tastes like.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2011 11:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, the best sodas are from the tap on the rocks with systems purifying the water for the syrup and ice along with the right brix mix.

Just like with milk from glass bottles: purist form to contain any fluid since no leaching from the container goes into the product.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2011 12:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is all the sweetened fountain sodas in the United States are sweetened with HFCS. While the fountain drinks may taste good once mixed with carbonated water, the syrup by itself is NASTY!

One of my high school night jobs was kitchen work in the Staff NCO Club in Quantico, VA (Marine Corps base). One evening someone dropped and broken open a box of Coke syrup. The thick, near black syrup spilled all over the floor. The stuff had a really nasty smell slightly similar to shit. It wasn't easy cleaning it off the floor either.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: