Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 'The Rocketeer' - El Capitan Theatre screening 6/21

Author Topic: 'The Rocketeer' - El Capitan Theatre screening 6/21
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2011 10:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from DigitalBits.com:

And here's something interesting: We've just gotten word that Disney's D23 Fan Club is going to be celebrating the 20th anniversary of The Rocketeer though a special screening at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood on 6/21. Kevin Smith is hosting the event, which will feature a cast and crew reunion and panel discussion as well as a special exhibition of props and costumes from the film. Tickets are $50 and go on sale to D23 club members on 5/2 (public sale tickets go on sale on 5/23). More details are available here. Cool yes? Here's HOPING it means that Disney plans to release The Rocketeer on Blu-ray (and better quality DVD - the only official DVD release so far is non-anamorphic) later this year as part of the anniversary celebration. This is a title we've been waiting to see get better treatment on disc for a LONG time, and it's one that our readers often ask about. Get cracking, Disney!

~~~

question: I thought this was Disney's second CDS (Kodak's Cinema Digital Sound) soundmix to theatres? I know that 'Dick Tracy' was, but I'm having a senior moment in thinking that Disney did release the film in 6-track sound theatrically - the home video release though was 2.0 stereo. ??

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2011 10:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
According to in70mm.com the only movies released in CDS (Cinema Digital Sound) were:

-

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-04-2011 11:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rocketeer was 70mm Dolby mag only. No CDS.

Regarding the CDS credits, I have to wonder about Flatliners. It sure didn't play in CDS anywhere in New York City. I watched the show in 70mm Dolby mag at the Ziegfeld. I remember some pre-release TV commercials for For the Boys showing off the Cinema Digital Sound logo. But I never could find any evidence that any theaters in the United States played the movie in CDS. Universal Soldier has been another questionable CDS release, at least in terms of theaters in the United States that might have played it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2011 10:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the hoopla over this movie? What's next, a 50-year celebration for "Million Dollar Duck?"

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 05-05-2011 10:47 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mike. What is so special about this movie?

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 11:17 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mobsters vs. Nazis! What's not to love?

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bettie Page. But not in Disney's version.

Dave Stevens interview
quote:
Dave: Well, the problem with the film version of The Rocketeer was that it ended up at Disney and they wanted nothing to do with a female character that was based on a real person for rights reasons. Plus it was a very sexy character and Bettie Page had really caught on in pop culture before we even got into pre-production. So they immediately called for changes in the character. We were still calling her Betty in the first few versions of the script, but by the time we were shooting, the name and appearance had changed, and she wasn't Betty anymore.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-05-2011 12:17 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Rocketeer" was the first film to play the theatre. On it's Grand Re-Opening of the theatre after Disney did the restoration.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 12:25 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The Rocketeer was 70mm Dolby mag only. No CDS.

Regarding the CDS credits, I have to wonder about Flatliners. It sure didn't play in CDS anywhere in New York City. I watched the show in 70mm Dolby mag at the Ziegfeld. I remember some pre-release TV commercials for For the Boys showing off the Cinema Digital Sound logo. But I never could find any evidence that any theaters in the United States played the movie in CDS. Universal Soldier has been another questionable CDS release, at least in terms of theaters in the United States that might have played it.

so under that theory (i.e, a release in 70mm) 6-track elements/soundmix was created - I just wonder why that mix was not culled and used for the DVD release.

in regards to 'Flatliners' - I'm assuming it's that Keifer Sutherland movie - I thought that was pretty much a nationwide SDDS release

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-05-2011 12:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
the only official DVD release so far is non-anamorphic
...once again, not knowing all of the facts..... I have the DVD of the Rocketeer and it released in the 2.35/1 format - enhanced for 16:9 viewing..

That was an entertaining movie to run in early 1991..(Ran it twice - Ist run and discount house with good crowds...)

Interesting that they nixed the "Betty Page" image for the main character, but snuck her in with Jennifer Connelly to play second banana against the main character - which she can easily have the appearance of a Betty Page wannabe.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2011 12:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember really liking the trailer for that movie, then it came out and wasn't much of a hit so we never did play it. Maybe the schedule was too full of other good stuff, I'm not sure.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 01:14 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember as a teenager liking some aspects of the film... namely Jennifer Connelly

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 04:50 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the home video release though was 2.0 stereo
so under that theory (i.e, a release in 70mm) 6-track elements/soundmix was created - I just wonder why that mix was not culled and used for the DVD release.
How many Region 1 DVD releases have there been of "The Rocketeer"? I'm aware of only one (catalog #17501), released in 1999. I believe that version does have 5.1 audio.

quote: Monte L. Fullmer
I have the DVD of the Rocketeer and it released in the 2.35/1 format - enhanced for 16:9 viewing.
It's a 2.35:1 letterbox presentation but is not enhanced for 16:9 TVs.

in regards to 'Flatliners' - I'm assuming it's that Keifer Sutherland movie - I thought that was pretty much a nationwide SDDS release
"Flatliners" was released three years before the introduction of SDDS. It was released only in Dolby in the U.S. (both 70-mag and 35-optical). There were 35mm-CDS prints, as well, in Europe.

I remember some pre-release TV commercials for For the Boys showing off the Cinema Digital Sound logo. But I never could find any evidence that any theaters in the United States played the movie in CDS.
Me neither, though it reportedly showed in CDS at a film festival in Fort Lauderdale.

Universal Soldier has been another questionable CDS release, at least in terms of theaters in the United States that might have played it.
There was a theater in Philadelphia that had been sent a CDS print. It never ran because the theater had ditched their CDS system.

quote: Paul Gordon
I remember as a teenager liking some aspects of the film... namely Jennifer Connelly
"Charmed. Doubly charmed."

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 05:50 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if TImothy Dalton will be there...

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Campbell
I wonder if TImothy Dalton will be there...

"I'm going to miss Hollywood!" My favorite line of his from the movie (and most prophetic [Big Grin] ).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: