Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone familiar with Yorktown / Jamestown / Williamsburg?

Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Yorktown / Jamestown / Williamsburg?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-13-2011 04:21 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning a get-a-way with my wife for our third anniversary around the end of this month and was wondering if anyone here had any insights about what to do or not do. We'll be there all day Saturday and Sunday. I'm sure it will be as crowded as can be. We're both interested in learning about our history, which is why we're going. Busch Gardens may or may not be on our list of things to do. If we do that it will be later at night when everything else historical related has closed. We're looking for cool museums, tours, etc.

Anyone? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-13-2011 05:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a great area. I would go to them in the Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown order. Start by going to the Colonial Williamsburg "Visitor's Center" (there will be signs to get you there). See the movie in the Visitor's Center (Story of a Patriot)...it is in 70mm in theatres designed specifically to show that movie back in 1957...it isn't too long and it was filmed on location so you will get a sense of what the buildings are in the historic section. You buy passes that let you into the various buildings in the historic section and get a schedule of what "events" are happening and when, that day. For the most part, you take things at your own pace.

At Jamestown and Yorktown...again, follow the signs and they have tours.

-Steve

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 07:50 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasabi Oriental Buffet -- Great

web page

"Story of a Patriot" was recently restored and the colors are superb.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-13-2011 08:29 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What they said. I'm a W&M graduate and lived in Williamsburg while in college. When you arrive, park at the CW Visitors' Center (oddly, the "Colonial Williamsburg" directional signs mostly point there, not to the actual restored area). Buy tickets and see the movie there and then take the shuttle bus to the restored area. The Capitol and Governor's Palace are must-sees. There are plenty of special events, concerts, and performances that are worth seeing; they are listed on the schedule that can be had at the CW visitors' center; many of these are held in the evening. I can also recommend the Ghost Tours, if you have time. Get your picture taken in the stocks at the public gaol (jail). Have at least one meal in one of the historic CW-run restaurants (Chowning's, Kings Arms, Christiana Campbell's, Shields). CW is rather touristy, but it is a place that every American should visit at least once.

I would recommend visiting CW around Christmas for Grand Illumination (the highlight of which is a fireworks show at the Governor's Palace), but most tourists visit in the summer months.

Other than the historical stuff, there are about a million pancake houses and outlet malls nearby for no apparent reason. The Jamestown-Scotland ferry is sort of interesting. The Cheese Shop (in Merchants' Square) has great sandwiches. It can be amusing to watch cars attempt to navigate the intersection of Jamestown Road, Richmond Road, and Duke of Gloucester Street (aka "Confusion Corner").

Busch Gardens is fun, but it's pretty much the same as every other major theme park. If you are only in Williamsburg for a short time and aren't excited about any specific thing at Busch Gardens, I would recommend sticking to the historical stuff, as there is more than enough of that to occupy several days.

If you have time to check out some theatres, I can recommend the Kimball Theatre (formerly the Williamsburg...I worked there in the late 1990s). The Byrd Theatre is an hour away in Richmond, and the Naro Expanded Cinema is an hour the other direction in Norfolk. All are worth seeing.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 09:07 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family did a vacation through Philadelphia and then over to Colonial Williamsburg when I was a kid. At that time I couldn't really care less and wanted to go to a beach. It ended up being a fun trip though. The governor's mansion and it's gardens were unbelievable. I would probably enjoy it much more now. I would recommend it.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-13-2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great info, guys... thanks! Very helpful!

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2011 07:04 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I went to Williamsburg for our honeymoon many, many... many years ago. I suppose some things have changed, so while some of their programing may have changed, history hasn't changed, and the architecture hasn't changed. We had a wonderful time. We spent an entire week, having a room in one of the restored inns right on the main street. We spent one day at Jamestown and Yorktown, but Williamsburg is by far the best. And if there is a woman going with you, you'll need to spend some time at the pottery as well. The set of dishes we bought there we are still using every day.

In the middle of the week, on Wedenesday evening we drove to Richmond for one reason, and one reason only... to see the Byrd Theatre and hear Eddie Weaver play the WurliTzer organ. The movie was totally forgetful, but the Byrd and the organ will be fondly remembered forever.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2011 06:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last visited that area in June, 1990. The flintlock muskets that adorn the Governor's mansion are still the first thing that comes to my mind anytime somebody says Colonial Williamsburg. Never made it to Jamestown, but picked up a reproduction of George Washington's journal to the Ohio Country in 1753. Being from the area in which he passed through it is a great read. It is still one of my most prized possessions and I still read it periodically.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: