Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone Recommend a Video Capture Prgm?

Author Topic: Anyone Recommend a Video Capture Prgm?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-06-2011 10:18 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to capture some YouTube videos, maybe some Skype stuff. I want to be able to box just the area on the screen with the video (needs to record the sound as well). I don't care what file format it creates, as long as it is one of the common usual suspects. I know there are plenty out there, but any recommedations for a app that you use and particularly like for this sort of thing would be great. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-06-2011 11:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an extension for Firefox which will directly download video from YouTube and other websites. It's called Download Helper.

http://www.downloadhelper.net/

I don't know about Skype but if it is embedded in a web page, DH might do the job.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-2011 04:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skype isn't a stored file that can be downloaded. Either FRAPS or Unregistered Hypercam might work. Make sure Unregistered Hypercam remains unregistered so that it puts an Unregistered Hypercam watermark on your video to keep 'em classy.

For Mac, you're screwed. But if you want to pay, ScreenFlow is excellent.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2011 07:37 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the Mac, Snapz Pro will capture anything that appears on your screen or plays through your speakers. Including Hulu.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

However, it is real-time capture, not download capture.
i.e. Whatever it is you want to capture must be played through from beginning to end during the capture operation.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2011 11:21 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's already somewhat built into mac. Quicktime>File>New Screen Recording. The downsides is that it's not window focusable, but I guess you could crop in movie editor of your choice. Also its 15fps. Eh, it's already there though.

FWIW you can download youtube videos with keepvid.com or similar.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2011 12:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quicktime can do screen captures but DRM and certain codecs can break it.

Snapz Pro will capture anything that appears on the screen, DRM or not. It is also window and border select croppable.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-07-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've nailed tons of video with downloadhelper - even sites outside of YouTube...

..then I convert them to AVI's to make DVD's with ... or, with an audio program to extract the audio from those .flv files to made audio CD's.

Multimedia fan I am. - Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2011 03:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
www.zamzar.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-08-2011 04:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, we had SnapzPro at work and I was never really impressed with it. The framerate noticeably stuttered. I think Screenflow is better. The framerate is still variable but far more seamless. When there is a change, it always keeps up. If you have something playing at 30fps, that's what it captures at, no dropped frames. If nothing moves, it is at 1fps, at least that has been my experience. Always uncompressed (though you can edit it right in the app itself before you save it and compress it to whatever you want). I've used it to capture gameplay from MAME and many of those games are already using a lot of the computer's horsepower. Might choke on an iMac or iLaptop, though. But it seems to work well on non-iComputers like my Mac Pro.

Ambrosia's Wiretap Pro, however, is excellent.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-08-2011 04:58 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really easy one is http://keepvid.com/

It allows a link in your favorites bar of your browser and if you're watching something on youtube, you just click it and it opens and gives you resolution options to capture it with.

Good stuff.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-08-2011 08:40 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, the reason I use Snapz Pro is because it will capture anything that appears on the screen. It takes its data directly from the video source (video RAM?) and won't be fooled by DRM or funky codecs.

I have not seen it drop frames or anything but I also have an 8-core Mac Pro so that might be the reason why.

The next time I have to capture video from the screen I'll take a look at ScreenFlow.

I have WireTap but I have not thought of using it to capture video from the screen so I'll have to give that a look-see, as well.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-08-2011 03:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wiretap is only for audio.

ScreeFlow also captures anything that appears on the screen and any sound that the computer makes. I remember some article about Mac screen capture apps and they rated them all on features and whatnot. Damn, I wish I could find that link. But I think SnapZpro came in second.

EDIT: I don't think this was it, but it's a good look at Mac capture apps anyway.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2011 09:11 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to really like keepvid but it quit working for me.

MPEG STREAMCLIP does a good job on Youtube.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-09-2011 02:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MPEG Streamclip is awesome, but it always errors out on Youtube videos and never grabs any for me. It's almost like it is expecting old-school Youtube with the one resolution instead of the various multi-resolutions it offers these days from 240p to 1080p.

EDIT: Nevermind, they seemed to have fixed it in 1.9.3b5

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2011 09:59 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne, keepvid changed they way it worked, it now relies on a java applet which you must allow to run.

edit: On mac so no one writes viruses for me. YMMV

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: