Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What would you buy if you won the lottery?

Author Topic: What would you buy if you won the lottery?
Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 08:51 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or made it big.

Here's what I would want.

Capstan automated table

|  IP: Logged

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2011 12:13 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And of course an aquada, but I do live by the ocean, so water transport sometimes is a must. If I still lived in the Midwest, not so much.

Gibson Aquada

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how much I won.

If it was only a few million, I'd buy a home in Berkeley while my wife gets her law degree at Berkeley.

If it were a few hundred million, I'd build me my own movie theatre in my home town.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2011 08:35 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would spend some time figering out where I want to live, then find (or build) the right house to buy.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2011 12:05 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either buy a restored or restore an art deco single screener and program it for the benefit of the community. Then build a lovely home for my wife of 41 years with plenty of room for my ten grandchildren.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2011 03:43 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy some land and then build a big single screen theatre that only showed older movies. Constant height 70' wide screen with a curtain. Booming audio.

Raiders, Jaws, ET, Terminators, Alienses, Back to the Futureses. Wizard of Oz. Die Hard. Stuff that no one should see on the boob tube. I'd cycle through them all year long and then start over each year, mixing and matching along the way. And I'd dig up some private copies of the original versions of the Star Wars films.

I'd set aside half of my winnings to account for all the money it would lose over the years.

Oh, and I would also buy Joe to run the booth.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-24-2011 07:37 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pound of delicious cheese.

I mean, I bought four pounds yesterday...but then I'd have FIVE.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2011 10:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably find an old palace and re-open it to show classics that deserve to be shown there.

I'd invest the rest and live off the interest.

Oh, and I too might offer to buy Joe to run the cinema.

AJG

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-24-2011 11:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I've already committed to running Geoff's cinema. It would be in Colorado, after all. Also, it would be a new build where I could consult in its design. An "old palace" would have the projectors pointing nearly straight down. the hell with that. Instead of discussing with other projectionists whether I thread top-down or bottom-up, I'd have to discuss if I threaded left to right or right to left. [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-25-2011 03:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thread right to left in old palaces. Any other way is incorrect.

[Cool]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2011 11:13 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two chicks at one time.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2011 11:48 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope to have enough to pay off all debts for those family and friends near and dear to me. Buy housing for them as well, then build a cinema for myself on my land. If there was any left over, drop it in some investment accounts, and also send some to charities.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: