Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney's "The Lion King" in 3-D

Author Topic: Disney's "The Lion King" in 3-D
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-27-2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth -- we just got the trailer for the 3-D release of "The Lion King" and it looks very good. I was impressed. I now would like to watch it in 3-D. It'll be a new way to experience it. I thought sure it would look like a bunch of cardboard cutouts in front of a background but they've avoided that somehow.

Anyone else see this trailer in 3-D yet? What did you think?

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-27-2011 01:41 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it - I think it was in front of Cars or something. I wasn't terribly impressed. But then 2D material that is turned into 3D usually doesn't impress me all that much.

Daniel Cook
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2011 12:37 PM      Profile for Daniel Cook   Email Daniel Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We currently have this trailer playing in front of cars 2 i agree it looks very well done and it looks like they have actually gone to the effort to make it look good, rather than just re-releasing it with parts that have been re-rendered in 3D just to get more money.

It looks like they could possibly do this film justice but obviously we will have to wait and see i suppose but from what i have seen it look promising. [Big Grin]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-28-2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are getting better and better at 2D to 3D conversions; if nothing else, they certainly have the advantage of being able to tightly control the biggest pitfalls of 3D original material -- that of making sure convergence between shots is smooth and easy on the eyes, are not jarring or too extreme.

I certainly look forward to seeing this on. Did the trailers mention if there would be an IMAX 3D release?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2011 02:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it would be interesting how the public will turn towards a 1993 Disney classic being re-released for 3D viewing.

If successful, can we see a beginning of a trend for classic Disney films being rendered for 3D viewing?

(Will we be seeing Mickey Mouse doing his thing in 3D in "Fantasia"?)

-Monte

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2011 08:26 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snow White lost in the forest in 3D. Walt will be spinning again if this happens.

I saw the 3D preview yesterday for Lion King. Not impressed.

Peter Howard
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Peter Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, it's going to be on blu-ray DVD a little over a month after cinema release - at least in Australia anyway. Which is why I offered them a single session daily for 18 days, and they happily accepted.

Disney just want us to expose it for them, and thus save Disney some marketing bucks a month later.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-04-2011 02:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first two TOY STORY movies were converted to 3-D and shown in theatres but I never bothered to see them. THE LION KING has been one of my favorite Disney films and I would like to see it in 3-D at a theatre. I saw TANGLED in Real D last year and enjoyed the movie and was very impressed with the 3-D. For those of you who saw the LION KING trailer and liked it, how does the 3-D compare with TANGLED. I know the newer Disney movie was created in 3-D but is there much difference between the two as far as 3-D effects is concerned?

By the way, how was the TOY STORY 3-D for those of you who saw them?

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-04-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
how was the TOY STORY 3-D for those of you who saw them
They were decent in 3D, but nothing to write home about.

(I think that the "AVATAR-3D Syndrome" has really caused a major influence in the industry since that movie was definitely excellent in 3D)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2011 05:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I think "The Lion King" is going to be heavy on depth and light on "things jumping out at you." I will say that the scenes featuring Pride Rock are pretty cool in the trailer. I think the wildebeast chase scene is going to be cool.

I did hear today that it's going to be a digital-only release -- no 35mm, but they are going to do combo 3D/2D DCPs.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-04-2011 10:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda ironic that a film originally released in 35mm will not get released again in 35mm, but just for digital only ... and I have a wild guess just 3D release only due to it's limited engagement schedule.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2011 01:55 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seen the preview in front of Cars 2 and my wife and I really want to see it! We are Disney fanatics.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2011 02:54 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Toy Story in 3D, the format for me brings out the detail in the animation and shows off the skill with which Pixar create their films.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2011 03:08 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Kinda ironic that a film originally released in 35mm will not get released again in 35mm, but just for digital only ...
Most re-releases will be digital only. It allows a simultaneous nation/worldwide release (making enough 35mm prints would be too expensive).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: