Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Billings MT zoo considering large-screen addition

Author Topic: Billings MT zoo considering large-screen addition
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 01:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about putting this in Large Format but it seems more Yak-ish plus I thought it would get more discussion here.

The zoo in Billings has been in financial trouble for a long time and they are looking at ways to come out of the slump. Building a large-screen theatre is one of their options. I have "bolded" the theater-related parts of the story if you don't want to read the whole thing.

One thing that strikes me as funny is the "estimated" ticket prices quoted herein. $7 for an Imax-size movie? $4 for a planetarium show? Are these people living in 1970 or something?

Also I wonder -- is it possible to build a large-screen cinema and a planetarium (with concession stand) from the ground up for $3 to $4 million?

All of the existing theaters in Billings are Carmikes. They have one of the "Big D" auditoriums in town.

=================================================

BILLINGS ZOO LOOKS AT LARGE-SCREEN THEATER ADDITION

After months of research, a group of Montana State University Billings students has created a business plan intended to point ZooMontana toward a promising financial future.

It is another in what is expected to be many steps to improve the zoo, which has a history of financial problems that in March cost the facility its accreditation with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.

The loss of accreditation prompted wildlife officials to relocate the zoo’s three grizzly bear cubs. Another grizzly, Ozzie, is in the process of being moved. The zoo is still waiting for representatives from the Philadelphia Zoo to conduct a site visit and confirm that the zoo can keep its three tigers.

Interim Zoo Director Jeff Ewelt said he has started working on the budget for the next fiscal year. After going through the previous budget, Ewelt said, he found signs of some “irresponsible spending.”

That included the zoo paying benefits for some employees who had not been with the zoo for some time.

“We’re cleaning up the irresponsible spending and keeping tabs on where the money goes,” Ewelt said. “It’s important for me, and the public, to make sure they know where their money is going, and know their money is making a difference here and for the animals and their experience.”

To move forward, the zoo needed a long-term business plan. The zoo board turned to MSUB for help.

Students study zoo

Nicholas Cabrera, 30, was among a group of 11 students who studied ZooMontana and came up with the business plan as part of a summer course on business strategies.

“It was tough,” Cabrera said. “There is a lot of stuff to look into and we basically had to pick what the zoo wanted us to look into, then take the ball and run with it.”

The students’ proposal includes four scenarios: constructing a large-screen theater and planetarium, taking on fully sponsored projects, continuing day-to-day operations as is, and seeking public funding.

Board president Ian McDonald said the zoo will likely develop a marketing plan and concessions service first, while also bringing back popular events like ZooGrass, a bluegrass music festival.

After those steps are in place, the board would shift its focus to the long-term goals, he said.

Ewelt said he and the zoo board were leaning toward the first two scenarios for the long-term plan, which was presented to them on Monday night.

“If the theater did well, we could move into the future and put money into the organization and build new exhibits at that point as well,” Ewelt said.

The large-screen or IMAX-type theater would feature educational films and have built-in concessions. Ewelt said he would look into the possibility of showing major box office titles as well.

According to the MSUB business plan, the construction of the theater and planetarium complex would cost roughly $3 million.

The students estimated that 100,000 people would attend a movie at $7 a ticket and 50,000 would watch a planetarium show at $4 a ticket. Minus expenses, the facility would bring in $500,000 a year in revenue for the zoo and provide a source of income through slow winter months.

As for this coming winter, Ewelt said he isn’t too worried. The zoo still has funds remaining from money raised earlier this year.

The community gave $500,000 in donations and pledges to help save the zoo’s AZA accreditation. Some of those pledged donations have been made, despite the accreditation loss.

Ewelt said he hopes to start new winter programs to get people through the zoo gates.

“We are looking at different options of what to do in the wintertime, including more winter lights this year and things to do on the grounds as well,” Ewelt said. “We’re thinking of having a snowshoeing path through the grounds.”

Concessions advised

The student’s business plan suggests that the zoo procure concessions, which Ewelt said is in the works. The zoo hopes to have either a permanent structure or contract for concessions by next spring.

“Concessions would be a big deal out here,” Ewelt said.

None of the plans are a sure thing and all involve some risk, Cabrera said.

“It looks at the long term to get them positioned better,” he said of the business plan. “That’s what we came up with as far as to sustain operations and help them grow as a company.”

In addition to identifying the four scenarios, the students looked at the zoo’s strengths and weaknesses.

According to the students’ research, the zoo’s strengths include its location, experience of the staff, employee dedication, established relationships in the community, attractions and quality animal care.

Weaknesses included the lack of a strategic marketing plan, a tarnished public image and name, lack of sustainability, lack of capital revenue, reactive operations, lack of a business plan, unmaintained facilities, limited staff and a high turnover of leadership.

Ewelt said the zoo plans to get a marketing plan in place and focus on changing its image.

“There is a trust factor that isn’t there with this community and we want to fix that tarnished image,” Ewelt said.

To upgrade the facilities, the students’ research suggested major improvements to zoo grounds. The upgrades would cost between $460,000 and $760,000 and include the construction of new exhibits and a concessions area, as well as improvements to the grounds and facilities.

They estimated the improvements would increase revenue by $75,000 a year by attracting more visitors.

The zoo could also choose to undertake only minor improvements for between $50,000 and $150,000.

Community input

The students surveyed community members to determine what they want to see at ZooMontana.

The email survey generated 118 responses. Cabrera said they were aiming for 100 to 120 responses.

Most of the respondents were women.

“We created it on a website and distributed it via email, mostly through all the routes we had available to us as far as electronics,” Cabrera said.

Ewelt said he was surprised that 74 percent wanted to see both native and non-native species at ZooMontana, a zoo that primarily features animals from the northern hemisphere.

Additionally, the No. 1 animal most respondents wanted to see was a cougar, followed by fish in a hatchery, a bobcat and native birds.

“People certainly want a mixture of native and exotic animals,” Ewelt said. “Most importantly, they want to see more animals and have more to look at.”

Most who responded to the survey said they would consider visiting the zoo if it had more animals. The animals that draw the most people to the zoo are the tigers and bears.

Almost half of those surveyed were “very interested” in having an IMAX theater and planetarium.

Billings Gazette Article

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2011 01:21 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL - operating income of 55.6% ($500,000 profit on $900,000 total revenues???)

Guess they didn't account for any film rental, for starters...

The scariest thing is the business plan was developed by the "business-people" of tomorrow (college students), under the guise of, I would assume, a professional educator.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 02:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Spaeth
I would assume, a professional educator
...who doesn't know anything about the cinema business in itself.

Yet, haven't we've seen some of this before ....?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 04:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
". . . . . first start with a large fortune." Louis

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 04:30 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always amused by the irony of "entrepreneurship" and "business planning" courses being conducted by salaried teachers.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 04:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..as always, they need to do more research before committing in such an idea....which it sounds like these people "missed the boat" completely.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-06-2011 05:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only good idea I see there is continue on as now and get public support or funding. The Giant Screen and planetarium would literally kill them...

Mark

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2011 05:08 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, if they do build this, the planetarium is likely to be digital (possibly as well as the Imax).

I was on a course at Mallorca Observatory last year and they had "upgraded" their system to one using two (single chip) DLP projectors (each covering half the sky). The old mechanical(*) system was still there, but not in use.

(*)I know the DLP system has five orders of magnitude more moving parts, but they are hidden within the boxes.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-06-2011 05:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Hajducki
I know the DLP system has five orders of magnitude more moving parts
[Confused] they do? Interesting, unless you're talking about the mirrors on each DMD chip ....

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2011 11:14 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a large screen install in St-Felicien Canada. It was kind of crazy. It was a six hour drive from Quebec and in the middle of nowhere. I think the towns population was a couple thousand and only 2 people spoke english. When I was going through customs, the agent asked where I was going, when I told her St. Felicien, she just replied "oh, the zoo". The parking lot would fill up with tour buses every day. What freaked me out was leaving the building after midnight and walking through a pitch black parking lot and hearing all the strange noises.

Rick

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-08-2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with the others. The people who are proposing this don't understand the economics of running a big-screen movie theatre or a planetarium. Without serious sponsorship or donations or a guaranteed constant revenue stream from school groups, both ideas are losers (economically, at least; they might well be justified for educational reasons).

The Museum of Science in Boston recently re-did its planetarium. They have a new Zeiss star projector and a double Sony 4K SXRD projection system. The new setup is actually quite impressive. I'm not exactly sure how the Zeiss unit works, but it is looks similar to the old unit that it replaced (i.e. it isn't digital). Still, the cost for the renovation was in the millions, and that doesn't include the dome, which was already in place.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: