Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Memorable films released on August 12th... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Memorable films released on August 12th...
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 02:21 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The Wizard Of Oz (1939).

Also released on 8/12...
Wings (1927)
Cujo (1983)
The Last Temptation Of Christ (1988)
Tucker: The Man And His Dream (1988)
Young Guns (1988)

Please share your memories of seeing or working with any of these films.

|  IP: Logged

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 02:51 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE WIZARD OF OZ : I only saw it on TV. First time when I was a child and it had fascinated me. Only later when I saw it a second time on a newer TV set did I realize that the largest part of the film was in color... [Razz]

TUCKER : the first film I saw in a THX theater. It was the Kinepolis in Brussels and was in 70mm.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-12-2011 03:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall the insane sell-outs from Last Temptation of Christ for certain. There was a number of protests and what they weren't smart enough to realize was that they were convincing people that they needed to see the movie because of the controversy.

I just locked the booth door and waited for the next changeover.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 03:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1971: I did run an IB print of "Wizard of OZ" for one week - it was some sort of special showing of sorts.
Last reel had the B/W sequence spliced in at the end of the Technicolor segment ..

1987: ran an Eastman copy, but B/W segments were on B/W stock..

5 Reels

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 06:02 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran Wizard in 1970 for special kids matinees. Opening B&W was spliced in. Color footage started just before the first changeover as Dorothy approaches the door. I have some screen shots somewhere. The color was amazing.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 06:46 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing Oz in a local theater sometime in the mid-late 50's. Kids matinee. Anyway, I'm sure the B&W footage was true black and white. Now, the versions I see on TV have the B&W portion sepia toned. It makes me wonder how was it originally released in 1939? And, yes, I believe the first C/O occurs just as she approaches the door of her house.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall from an early 1950 reissue the opening and closing were sepia tone.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 01:14 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the original release reel 1 and the end of reel 5 were B&W, processed for sepia tone. The balance was Technicolor.
Once the MGM lab started printing it around the 1970s, they left the B&W sections just plain B&W, which looked awful, especially in the transitions to and from color.
In about 1985 that was changed, and these sections were printed on color stock, timed to be sepia color. Everything after that had the accurate use of sepia, as in the original release.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 03:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, WB released it in 1999 in a 1.85:1 reduction printing with the full frame reduced in a 1.85: letterbox frame.

Like what New Line did with "Gone with the Wind" in 1998 - printed it on IB stock, squeezed the full frame image down to full 2.00/1 so one used the anamorphic lens to play it back full frame on the screen..

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 03:05 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With that 1999 re-release, there was a small number of dye transfer, full-frame prints produced. Most went to the larger cities, but I was able to track one down in Indianapolis. It was a very nice print that was shown properly. I asked the manager how they ended up with that print, and he told me they did very very well with children's films and hoped this would do well.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 03:22 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were the only theatre in the State of Alabama to show Last Temptation. We were condemned by the mayor, the city council and a butt load of churches that knew nothing about it except the petition full of lies by Donald Wildmon (Donald threatened to sue me for calling him a liar in the press. I told him to go ahead, but he never did). The Governor actually held a rally directed against me personally. Our insurance company cancelled for fear the good christians would blow us up (we got cheaper insurance). We didn't get to run it until January 88, so had months of controversy buildup.
Finally came time to show it, the protestors showed up (with misspelled signs), but they only lasted the first night. Ran it for two weeks and at the time it was the best attended movie we'd ever had. People were coming from out of state to see it. Some people just came to the boxoffice window, threw in some money and said things like "I don't want to see it, but I don't want anyone telling me I can't."
The censor types never bothered us again.
We get about a page and a half in this book that came out for the 20th anniversary (although we are not in the index)
http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Under-Siege-Scorsese-Religious/dp/0813125170/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313180413&sr=1-3

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 04:51 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found one:

-

Screen shot from the long gone KB Baronet.
1/4 second at F 2.3 explains the slight blur.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2011 11:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...they sure knew how to make wonderful matt paintings back then ...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-13-2011 12:04 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1939 was a great year for films because it was the year both THE WIZARD OF OZ and GONE WITH THE WIND was released as well as several others. . It was also the year I was born! I was only a baby and could not have seen the first showings of the two movies. Although there were several theatrical showings of GWTW when I was older, I never saw it until 1961 when I viewed the movie at the long demolished California Theatre in Santa Barbara. For some reason, I have ever never seen THE WIZARD OF OZ in a theatre. I have seen GWTW a couple of times in a theatre including that dreadful 70mm road show presentation.

I haveboth movies in Blu Ray and they are gorgeous.

-Claude

Frank Bruno
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2011 02:10 AM      Profile for Frank Bruno   Email Frank Bruno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin-
for what it's worth now, it's really cool that your theater still showed the film, and so emphatically defended it (or your right to show it or for an audience to see it.)

I might actually see if I can get ahold of a copy of that book.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: