Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » If they made Airplane! today. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: If they made Airplane! today.
Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-13-2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question was posed to me last night. If they made Airplane! today -- which modern day actors would be best cast?

We aren't speaking about if the RE-MADE Airplane! - But if they made a shot for shot hommage to the original, who would be cast.

Another approach is if the original had never been made (and therefore few other film genre parodies) assuming a studio absolutely 100% ignored political correctness, could a similarly funny movie be made?

The only person I could think of for Elaine was Anne Hathaway, but only before we all knew who she was.

Ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2011 01:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something tells me LeBron or Kobe would be Roger Murdock. Jive Man: definitely Samuel L. Jackson. The rest? Gosh, that's a tough question. I'd imagine Steve Carrell would be somewhere, but I have no idea who....

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-13-2011 02:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Carell would be Stryker for sure. I don't know of anyone who could replace Leslie Nielsen though.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-14-2011 08:36 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Casting Carrell would go against the casting of the first "Airplane!", as all the primary roles in that film were played by actors who were at the time considered serious character actors.

That was part of the reason the movie was so fun. You didn't expect what you got from those actors. And they all played their roles as serious.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2011 11:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Al Pacino?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2011 12:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case Sam, perhaps Daniel Day-Lewis as Stryker?

Check out this list for a good start.

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2011 12:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
On that list of "the best actors of today", Kevin Bacon is #27 but Harrison Ford is #32?

Will Smith should play Stryker. That way he could say "awwww, hell no" several times.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-14-2011 12:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could see Steve Carell as that goofy guy at the airport who pulls the plug on the runway lights, etc.

David M. Leugers
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2011 11:53 PM      Profile for David M. Leugers   Email David M. Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alec Baldwin as Air Traffic Controller Steve McCroskey (Loyd Bridges)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-16-2011 12:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first I thought DiNero could play Stryker... But it dawned on me. There is no way in hell this movie could ever be remade and come out half as funny as the first one is. There IS just no way. I also believe that one of the reasons this movie is so good is because of the time period is was made in. 1979-80. Things were a lot different back then. Really, the first one IS absolutely perfect to this day. It would be the equivelent of attempting a remake of Casablanca and there are no present day actors that could fit into that movie.

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

Mark

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2011 12:30 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, don't you mean Johnny!

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2011 12:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I could see Steve Carell as that goofy guy at the airport who pulls the plug on the runway lights, etc.
Nah, Steven Toblowsky!

Groundhog Day

I couldn't find any clips from Sneakers where he plays Werner Brandes. (If anyone has not seen this movie, correct that immediately.)

No wait I've got one even better. Chris Elliott!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-16-2011 01:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing that added to Airplane is that it was on the heals of the (too) many Airport movies. So the whole subject matter was ready for spoofing. Add to that the good sense of schtick and having serious actors playing comedy in a dead-pan way...it was just a very good mix. Having Mrs Cleaver translating jive...just too funny!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember seeing Airplane for the first time, in Bozeman MT. I was with a group of three friends. When we got home, we all kept telling this other friend, Dennis (who hadn't been with us) the funny lines from the movie.

So a couple of weeks later it played at the Roxy, Dennis came to it ... and when it was over, he said "Well it was good, but you sons-of-bitches told me the whole movie ahead of time!" We just couldn't help it, it was SO funny you just had to quote lines to people.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2011 12:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see a new spoof of something...but I think writers have forgotten how to write a good one.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: