Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Lifeforce" in 70mm at the AFI/Silver

Author Topic: "Lifeforce" in 70mm at the AFI/Silver
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-25-2011 09:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend, the AFI/Silver will be presenting Lifeforce in 70mm as part of their '80s series.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2011 01:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Lifeforce trailer

Cannon Films? Really? They made something in 70mm?

That movie looks reeeeeeeaaaaaalllllly bad. The AFI chose this over Cabin Boy?

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 02:02 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Combine the animatronics technology and the trailer style of 1985 and you will find the film outdated indeed. But it was convincing at that time. A good film. And it has the beautiful Mathilda May at her debut.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 08:09 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> That movie looks reeeeeeeaaaaaalllllly bad.

Actually, this film is quite good and a lot of fun if you enjoy this genre. In fact, it is better than many recent zombie movies. It is loosely follows the plot of Dracula, in a science fiction setting. It features special effect by John Dykstra (Star Wars) and Don Trumbull (2001: A Space Odyssey), and excellent makeup work. This was the most expensive movie Cannon Films ever made, and it bankrupted them. It opened and closed in a week, and did not find an audience until it hit video.

The American version of the film was cut by about 15 minutes, and some scenes were re-ordered. I actually think it plays better than the British version that is now the only version available on DVD. Most of what was cut was extraneous dialog scenes unnecessarily explaining what had just happened or what may happen next. The original pan & scan LaserDisc was the last time the American version appeared on video. However, both version are enjoyable. The 35mm prints were Panavision and had an awesome Dolby A soundtrack.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 06:43 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
...as part of their '80s series
An '80s series sounds great. Just don't show that shitty print of Highlander I saw a couple weeks ago!

quote: Brad Miller
Cannon Films? Really? They made something in 70mm?
Yes, and Cobra, too. (Both films were produced, but not distributed, by Cannon.)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2011 07:27 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are not enuf eeeees in really to describe how bad this dog is. And I AM a fan of the genre, er... or genres -- the idiotic hodgepodge of vampires, zombies and sci-fi. I also am a fan of Peter Firth, not to mention Tobe Hooper and Patrick Stewart. The incongruity of these weird, desperate elements, none of which fit, makes for one reeeeeeeeeeeealy bad movie. I mean, a zombie movie with music by supreme elevator music composer Henry Mancini?!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-26-2011 07:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AFI/Silver runs '80s films every year so many of the more popular films have been run (and run again). I don't even remember "Lifeforce" as a movie...let alone in 70mm!

-Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-27-2011 01:22 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, and Cobra, too. (Both films were produced, but not distributed, by Cannon.)
Don't forget about Over the Top. The Cannon twin towers, Menachem Golan and Yoram Globus worked on that project, got Sammy Hagar to put together a semi-hit tune and got some 70mm prints made. I'll have to do some looking, but I'm think there may be another one or two other Cannon 70mm films out there. I could (and hope) I'm wrong about that.
[Razz]

quote:
I don't even remember "Lifeforce" as a movie...let alone in 70mm!
I do. At least in terms of doing 70mm ad research. I was living in Virginia in 1985 when it was originally released, so I don't remember seeing any 70mm logos in the newspapers then. But when I did see 70mm mentioned later my reaction was "they released THAT in 70mm!?" Kinda the same reaction I had to 70mm prints of Who's That Girl.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-28-2011 06:14 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AND it was directed by the same guy who directed POLTERGEIST!

No, not Spielberg...the one who got the credit. Tobe Hooper.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, did the AFI even stay open during the Irene hurricane?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-28-2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can watch the entire Lifeforce movie on Youtube, divided into 12 parts. Surely a much better presentation than the AFI/Silver could hope for.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 09:34 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh I could have sworn I made a comment on the film - I can officially say that the 70mm presentation of 'Lifeforce' at the Silver was the loudest film I've heard there. The movie was goofy as hell, but it was entertaining and with the fx and sound all reaching a tremendous crescendo at the noisey balls-to-the walls finale - wow! that was fun, not too mention the ringing in my ears.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-07-2011 04:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve never mentioned where the AFI/Silver is. Are we just all supposed to magically know? And is it the AFI or the Silver? Pick one!

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 05:18 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: Its in Silver Spring, MD. The good news is you can ride Metro from Reagan National with a transfer at Metro Center. So when are you coming?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: