Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hurricane Irene: Bracing for Impact? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hurricane Irene: Bracing for Impact?
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 05:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering what sort of precautions anyone on the east coast is taking for the coming storm.

Stay safe everyone.

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 05:18 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from making sure we had dinner and fuel for the generator not much else. We will barely get anything from her in Charleston SC.

Hopefully those its its path will make out well. Looks like its getting weaker by the hour.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-26-2011 05:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Generator will be well stocked for gas. Being on well water means no electricity, no water. We are also a designated black out community. In the case of the prediction of bad weather, we are designated to lose power in the hopes that others might keep it. Hence, everyone in our area has generators.

-Steve

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-26-2011 05:51 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hollywood Reporter

quote:
Box Office Report: Hurricane Irene Advances, Shutting First East Coast Theaters

Clearview Cinemas is shutting all of its 57 theaters along the Philadelphia-New York corridor this weekend; Hollywood expects the domestic box office to take a sizeable hit because of massive storm.

Clearview Cinemas is shutting all of its 57 theaters — which stretch from Philadelphia to New York City — on Saturday and Sunday because of Hurricane Irene.

“Out of concern for the safety of our guests and staff, all Clearview Cinemas will be closed on Saturday August 27th and Sunday August 28th. We plan to reopen on Monday August 29th. Wishing you and your family a very safe weekend,” read a statement on the circuit’s website.

So far, Clearview is the first exhibitor to announced its theaters are going dark because of the massive storm, but both AMC Entertainment and Regal Entertainment — which operate numerous multiplexes in New York City and other East Coast hubs — are monitoring the situation carefully.

As a precaution, government officials in New York City and Philadelphia are shutting down public transportation on Saturday, making it difficult for employees of movie theaters and retail stores to get to work.

Clearview Cinemas has three locations in New York City.

The domestic box office is is expected to take a substantial hit because of Irene. According to anecdotal reports, movie-going has already slowed down in New York City, even though the effects of the storm won’t be felt until Saturday.

PHOTOS: 15 Movies That Made The Grade: A+ CinemaScore Posse

That’s bad news for the three new films opening this weekend -- the Luc Besson-produced action pic Colombiana, starring Zoe Saldana and distributed by TriStar; The Weinstein Co.’s R-rated ensemble comedy Our Idiot Brother headlining Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel and Emily Mortimer; and the Guillermo del Toro-produced horror movie Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, distributed by FilmDistrict and starring Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce.

By some estimates, box office revenues could be down 10 to 20 percent.

Notwithstanding the storm, all three films — which are tracking modestly -- could have a tough time toppling DreamWorks and Participant Media’s late-summer box office hit The Help from the No. 1 spot.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 06:50 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back to school just outside of Philly, all activities for Sunday have been canceled, and our trip into town, originally scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, has been moved up to tomorrow morning so we can get it in. I'm going with a group in 1 hour to grab some supplies.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2011 07:56 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the last two weeks we have been moving 25 staffers and all our equipment -- phones switches, servers, computers, files, furnature, etc. -- out of our office suite in one wing of our George Gershiwn and Sam Levenson Theatres. The building to be demolished to make way for a new facility. This week I've been spending 12 - 16 hour days configuring network servers and digital phones in our new digs -- a TRAILER.

I sit here in a TRAILER, contemplating 100 mph winds taking this thing airborn. I can't imagine that the roof is going to stay attached, or that the three trailers which were all bolted together, will stay bolted. When I asked the foreman if this thing would survive the storm, he paused and said, "This is built to code." Funny, that wasn't the question. He did suggest no one stay in it until the storm is over.

I am wrapping our servers in plastic. If we are lucky, all that will happen will be windows may break and we will get rain flooding the place. Hopefully the plastic wraps may protect them. What is REALLY unfortunate is that about 100 feet away from the trailer is a city block worth of plywood panels surrounding the theatre demolition site. I picture these things taking off like big sails and while the trailer itself might hold against the wind, I doubt it will survive 8'x12' plywood projectiles being hurled at it at who knows how many mph will.

I am leaving now. It will be interesting to know what I come back to find on Monday.

Everyone keep safe this weekend.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-27-2011 12:27 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stay safe to Frank, Steve and to everyone facing this thing. You have the support of a great community here.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-27-2011 01:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in first grade my dad was stationed at Camp Lejune, NC near Jacksonville, NC. That place is probably going to be pretty badly hammered by this storm. We spent numerous weekends at Onslow Beach. Fun memories. There's no way I would want to be there right now at this moment. Probably lethal or near so to be in that spot now.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-27-2011 02:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Full image of earth taken this morning shows how huge hurricane Irene is.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-27-2011 11:55 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about some irreverent humor?

What Washington DC needs, more than anything, right now, is a good BLOW JOB!

[Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-27-2011 08:59 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it should have been named Hurricane Monica?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-27-2011 11:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they name hurricanes pussy names like Irene? Name that shit Murderton 3000 or some such and fuckers will evacuate like they are supposed to.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 08-27-2011 11:20 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-27-2011 11:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The proper name is Murderton XD-3D. Damnit Joe, you of all people should know this.

Since I'm not in the area to witness Irene first hand, I'll just wait for the movie (or one of its sequels). You know it will happen.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-29-2011 07:01 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
In the case of the prediction of bad weather, we are designated to lose power in the hopes that others might keep it.
What does that mean exactly? If they take your power down, do trees not fall on power lines elsewhere? Or do they just come and strip parts from your area to fix everyone else and then bring you guys back up last, or what?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: