Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MGM HD presents West Side Story (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MGM HD presents West Side Story
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-04-2011 02:00 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

MGM HD Presents West Side Story

Price Range: $35.00-$75.00

Wed, Sep. 7, 2011 - SOLD OUT
7:30PM

Thu, Sep. 8, 2011
7:30PM

Celebrate the 50th anniversary of this iconic film and winner of ten Academy Awards, including Best Picture. The New York Philharmonic plays Leonard Bernstein’s electrifying score and memorable songs with lyrics by Stephen Sondheim live, while the newly re-mastered film is shown in glorious high definition on the big screen with the original vocals and dialog intact. This classic romantic tragedy, one of the greatest achievements in the history of movie musicals, features breath-taking choreography by Jerome Robbins and a masterful book by Arthur Laurents.

I'd love to see this performance, but unfortunately I'll be busy up in the Minneapolis area doing a Marcus digital conversion.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 12:12 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both performances are sold out.

I wonder if it is digital projection?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 01:48 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> Location: Avery Fisher Hall (New York City)

This is a live performance hall at Lincoln Center. While the Walter Reade Theatre at Lincoln Center is equipped for 35mm and 70mm, Avery Fisher is not. I would assume 1080p video.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 09-04-2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was is interesting is that over here in Toronto, we just had an engagement of West Side Story in 70MM

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-04-2011 05:24 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
shown in glorious high definition
I've heard of "glorious Technicolor" and "glorious 70mm" and "glorious ToddAO," but glorous BluRay....for theatrical presentation of a film that was shot in 70mm? Can these bullshitters even look at themselves in the mirror in the morning, let along into the eyes of their wives or children?

No doubt this is nothing but a publicity promotion for the BluRay release supposedly happening sometime in October (it's about time), which is fine -- for HOME VIDEO, but at Lincoln Center in New York CITY, they couldn't even muster up authoring a 4K digital print? Cheap bastards.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2011 06:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Them high price tix buyers ain't gonna like it sitting close to the screen - being such a blurry presentation down there ..

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they really wanted to do this right, they could get the 70mm print and make up a new set of DTS disks without the music tracks...just the dialog and effects track.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 03:17 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. How incongruous -- the spectacular sound of the great New York Philharmonic contrasted with a home video image on a theatre-size screen.

Here, let me say it again...maybe it won't sound as bad as when I first read it:

MGM HD Presents West Side Story

Price Range: $35.00-$75.00

Nope. Still makes me up-chuck lunch.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 06:03 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not surprised... Paramount just told me they are junking all their 70mm prints in Canada. That includes Titanic a year before the 100th anniversary of the sinking. Also all the Star Trek films, Untouchables the list goes on... in this digital age they don't want to store this large heavy analog stuff. Sad stuff.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 07:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The digital projection aspect of this isn't the only one that worries me. The film was never conceived or intended to be shown with live music. Significant artistic decisions went into the recording and mixing of the music, in relation to the other components of the final mix (dialogue, dead track, SFX etc). These are going to be lost with a live orchestra playing, presumably in passages when the film soundtrack is muted (or are they going to play back the voice channel in the singing bits only, and have the orchestra try to play in sync?). Furthermore, orchestral playing styles and even the technology and materials in some of the instruments are completely different now to what they were then. If you listen to a recording of, say, Fritz Reiner conducting a Beethoven symphony in the '60s and then Gustavo Dudamel doing so now, you'll find it a totally different experience - and I'm not just talking about the recording and playback technology, but the style of the performance as well.

Of course I'm not so much of an anal purist as to claim that it's wrong for them to be doing this at all, but essentially what we've got here is a new dramatic performance inspired by the film as distinct from a reproduction of the film itself, on virtually every technical and artistic level.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 09:40 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sure it's a unique presentation of the film, but no 70mm print engagement in the Big Apple?? wow, what an insult, glad I saw said print at the AFI Silver.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-07-2011 09:48 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
The film was never conceived or intended to be shown with live music. Significant artistic decisions went into the recording and mixing of the music, in relation to the other components of the final mix (dialogue, dead track, SFX etc). These are going to be lost with a live orchestra playing, presumably in passages when the film soundtrack is muted (or are they going to play back the voice channel in the singing bits only, and have the orchestra try to play in sync?).
I would hope this version will have a special "minus music" mix with a click-track cue for the orchestra. I can't think of any other way for them to establish/maintain sync.

And by "minus music" I mean ONLY the ORCHESTRA would be dialed out. (The vocals would be preserved.)

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 09:51 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well, this is probably good enough for the digital generation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3HnS_W2zA4E

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2011 09:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in regards to Manny's comment: granted they are newer films and music removal is possible, the orchestra/film presentation of 'The Fellowship of the Rings' 'The Two Towers' (at Wolf Trap) were generally in sync with what was occurring on screen.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 02:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did it in 2002 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles with ET during the film's 20th anniversary with John Williams conducting the Los Philhamonic. The segment showing Maestro Williams conducting the orchestra during the showing was included in the special boxed set edition of the movie on DVD and I have it.

- Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: