Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Watch out -- here comes 3D SOUND! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Watch out -- here comes 3D SOUND!
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-15-2011 07:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought you had enough 3D? From the SMPTE announcement for the upcoming conference in Hollwood:

quote:
3D Audio: A New Dimension in Cinema Sound
Digital projection in cinema theatres has spurred a revival in 3D movies. Yet in two decades, there have been no significant innovations to make the aural experience as lifelike and immersive as 3D imagery. This presentation will detail a state-of-the-art audio solution that integrates the full 3D experience into existing technology and standards, can be placed within existing distribution architectures, and is compatible with all forms of multimedia.

Tom Bert & Brian Claypool (Barco, Belgium)

So, how can you have a "solution" without a problem? I don't know, have these guys at Barco been asleep under a rock for the last two decades? No improvement in the "aural experience"? They want to get more "immersive" than 7.1? Not to mention that the current system is capable of overhead and under the seats channels without doing anything except adding hardware.

Even with two channels, phase manipulation has been around for more than half a century and able to play around with "spreading" sound and "spacializing" sound artificially -- no doubt with 7 plus channels, doing that trickery can create some wild effects, but to what end? Sounds like that same "space-alizer" knob that you used to find on the cheap boom boxes, only now times 7 and with the 3D moniker slapped on it. [puke]

And as Bobby has said many times, if there is a problem, it isn't that audio can't be made to sound spectacular with the systems we have in place already, but that theatres are not attentive to it, don't maintain it and bottom line, don't seem to give a rats ass about it.

So will they add a 3D surcharge to this new 3D immersive sensation? Will there be studies to see if 3D sound is dangerous to the ears? Will the public soon tire of the 3D sound fad?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-15-2011 08:40 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, now I have a GoogolphonicŪ stereo system, the highest number of speakers before infinity. It's okay for a car stereo but I'd never put it in my house.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-15-2011 10:14 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the situation is pretty damned annoying. "3D Sound" seems like another excuse from bean counters to "grow revenue." In short, it sounds like a scheme to charge customers a premium for what movie studios and movie theaters should be delivering with the standard ticket price.

Production wise, 5.1 with dialog locked in the center is the typical standard. Studios seem to have very little desire to expand upon that. 7.1 is being used more on Blu-ray than it is in movie theaters just like what happened on DVD with DD 5.1 EX and DTS-ES 6.1. Something like a 10.2 mix would require a considerably greater amount of time and effort during post production. The global media parent company bean counters certainly couldn't like that since it would risk diluting those profit margins. Not to mention that such an elaborate mix would only be playable in a good movie theater. With the movie playing in theaters for only a month, why bother with all that extra effort? Mix it mind for home video and be done with it.

To give the dead horse another whack, digital 2D/3D projection is the primary selling point for theaters now. Even things like stadium seating may have a higher priority than sound system maintenance. Upgrades to the sound system? Nah. Not unless we can tack another $2 or $3 onto the ticket price!

With production/distribution and exhibition running as separate entities the perfect chicken vs. egg situation exists for keeping sound stuck where it is. Theater operators see no need to do any sound system upgrades because the distributors aren't providing any product to make it necessary. The distributors can say there's no need to mix anything in greater than 5.1 because few theaters can handle it.

Of course that chicken vs. egg problem can be easily solved with a few phone calls between studio and exhibition bosses. Such efforts had to be made with movie releases like Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Robocop, Dick Tracy, etc. where new formats or significant changes to existing formats were being introduced.

Now, if any big changes will be made to movie audio it might only happen at a premium price.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-15-2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what percent of the audience can tell, much less care?

There may be some cute effects in big special effects movies, but is it useful at all for movies that are based around people talking?

It will probably be cool the first time someone figures out how to make it sound like a bomb is going off 3 seats over from you, but just like visual 3D, it can't carry a movie.

Good clean sound first. Everything else is just volume.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2011 11:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehh. Everything is 3D these days. I saw an ad in the newspaper today for a 3D bra for cripesake. It's the biggest buzzword since digital.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2011 02:40 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure.

A while ago, I was in the Mr. Lincoln exhibit at Disneyland, and they passed out headphones that not only played ping-pong stereo left to right, but also made sound in front of you, *and in back of you*, and a 360 degree mix in between. There was even a short sequence where a character was whispering to you, and I swear I turned to see if they had swung some sort of speaker or other device just *over* my head, and a little off to one side.

Is that going to be it? Probably not. Will it be something gimmicky? Probably. Then again, they said the same thing about stereo.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-15-2011 03:13 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to be wearing headphones to get that effect.

It was during one of the Jurassic Park movies where the dinosaur ate a guy carrying a cell phone (satellite phone?) and was running around the jungle with the thing in its stomach while the phone was ringing. I was sitting in the back row of the theater wondering which asshole in the front row was letting his phone ring in the middle of the movie when I suddenly realized that it was a special effect in the soundtrack of the movie.

I was in that theater to do a tune up on the sound system. When I heard that effect, I stood up and quietly headed for the door. On my way out, I thought to myself, "My work here is done!"

That was over ten years ago. What great improvements in sound technology can they come up with that they haven't already invented?

Like I said, it sounds like Googolphonics all over again.

Jeff Kane
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Kane   Email Jeff Kane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just height info extrapolation. Dolby has been doing it in the home with Pro Logic IIz for about two years now? I've only heard two systems that used it and in one case we dropped out all the other channels just to verify all was working as intended! Underwhelming is an understatement.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2011 04:10 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will you need special glasses for your ears? Or would that be headphones? Think of it, people could be talking right next to you, and all you would hear is the movie. They could even add in some 24 frame pull down noise, so that you think that you are watching FILM. The next question: how would you do smell-o-vision sound?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 09-15-2011 04:22 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim.

That sounds like a binaural recording you were listening to. They can sound amazingly realistic, one famous recording of a barber cutting hair comes to mind.

quote: Martin McCaffery
Good clean sound first. Everything else is just volume.
That is T-Shirt worthy right there! Love it. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-15-2011 05:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D sound? What are they gonna do, mount speakers of the side and back walls? Utterly ridiculous.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-15-2011 08:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
like a binaural recording you were listening to.
Boy! That's an oldie coming out of the woodwork ...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-15-2011 11:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will this amazing new technology be able to compete with Q-Sound?

Like Q-Sound and other phase-shifting nonsense, you need to be positioned precisely in the sweet spot between two speakers for it to work properly. In one auditorium in the last theater I worked at, an assistant manager was cleaning the room when she stood in one certain spot, claiming it sounded crazy weird while listening to the non-sync music... but only in that spot or right behind or in front of it down the middle of the auditorium. I checked and either the left or right speaker was wired out of phase (don't remember which). Fixing it solved the issue. But my point is that once she moved to the right or left, the effect collapsed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-16-2011 11:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Q-Sound -- haven't heard that term in a while. I remember when it made its commercial debut on a CD, it was some Madonna album.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-16-2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and videogames in the 90's tried to use it a lot, for whatever reason. I never found it very effective.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: