Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ghostbusters coming out again...wtf? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ghostbusters coming out again...wtf?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2011 02:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my question would be, "why?" Is there that much demand to see that movie again? Or is this just to drum-up publicity for the long-rumored sequel?

One cool thing, this week's TrailMix has a trailer for it. It's a reprint of a classic trailer, not a "jazzed up" version created last week. None of that "They're back on the big screen! Where they belong! For the first time in xx years!" crap. Just a very simple "Back in theatres October 2011" on the end card.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-23-2011 03:56 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received an email from my Sony rep today about this. The plan is to do a single once a week showing for three consecutive Thursdays in October. The movie will be available in digital only to approximately 500 theatres.

Here's the text of the email:

quote:
Fyi:Get ready for mass hysteria! This October, Sony Pictures Repertory celebrates the original movie Ghostbusters, its franchise, and its fans by bringing the quintessential modern classic back to theatres for a special limited engagement of one showtime one night a week. Starting on Thursday, October 13 and continuing every following Thursday in October 2011, fans together will be able to see their favorite paranormal psychologists back on the big screen as they save the world from ghosts, ghouls, and Mr. Stay Puft.

Ghostbusters will show in approximately 500 theatres across the U.S. on October 13, 20, and 27, one showtime each day, in 2K digital with 5.1 surround sound.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
strange Sony didn't go the 4K route for this - personally I find the bluray a grainy mess, but someone pointed out that it was intentionally filmed that way.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh joy they will do millions in ad's and everyone will think it will be at their local theater. Then they get mad at the local manager (that would be me) for not having when it is only in 500 theaters across the nation. I so look forward that!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-23-2011 04:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are doing things like this because there aren't many (any?) good current movies coming out.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 05:00 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
They are doing things like this because there aren't many (any?) good current movies coming out.
how very true.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-23-2011 05:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
because there aren't many (any?) good current movies coming out
Have you seen the remainer of the lineup coming out for the rest of the year? "J.Edgar" - may have some legs to it ... but for the others.....take your pick.

quote: Jonathan Goeldner
a grainy mess
..even the original 1984 pre-release, one minute teasers were horribly grainy...

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 08:25 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So will they show Mr. Hover in his dress?

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 10:25 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But will it be in 3D????

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 11:02 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who you gonna call? The Ghost Busters that's who!

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2011 11:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
500 screens? Gosh I hope I don't have to travel too far to see this but I certainly will.

"Are you, Alice, menstruating?"

"What's THAT got to do with it?"

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."

AJG

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-24-2011 07:10 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should book this in 70mm. The prints are grain-city, but the sound is great.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 09-24-2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares. The younger gen won't want to see it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-24-2011 12:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know....I told my employees about the reissue and they were all, "Are we getting it!?" excited. Might be kind of fun...too bad they're only doing 500 screens. I like how they're reissuing it without really stepping on the "current" product.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-24-2011 01:40 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fav lines from the movie:

"Everything was under control until the power was shut off by dickless here."

(Mayor): "Is this true?"

"Yes sir, this man has no dick."

[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: