Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » anyone do any roofing/construction?

Author Topic: anyone do any roofing/construction?
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2011 10:42 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents house needs a new roof and I am thinking about doing it. They just got an estimate and the roofing was about $13,000. I know that the roof needs stripped and some decking replaced above the garage. It has been about 25 years since I helped with a roof, I mostly just hauled shingles up a ladder and then hammered for a couple days... got a good tan [thumbsup]

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers?

Here's the quote:

ROOFING
• Remove old roofing and haul away
• Replace rotted decking
• Frame in back porch area with rafters and new decking
• Install felt paper and drip edge
• Install vent boots
• Install necessary ventilation
• Flash wall where siding meets shingles
• Install GAF Timberline HD dimensional lifetime shingles
$12,890.00
GUTTERS
• Remove existing gutters and haul away
• Install new 6 inch white commercial seamless gutters and downspouts back in place
$2,450.00
SIDING
• Remove existing aluminum siding on gables
• Replace any rotted wood siding
• Install 1/4 inch insulation board
• Install .042 thick vinyl lap siding around entire house
• NOTE: We will have to fur out concrete walls with wood to install siding
$18,120.00
WINDOWS
• Install (3) windows provided by the customer in existing openings
$1,500.00

TOTAL PROPOSED PRICE $ 3 4 , 9 6 0.00

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-02-2011 11:12 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Find an Amish contractor to do it.

We just put a new roof on our house. It's a 30'x40' single peak roof with three dormers and a porch.

The roof was leaking and shingles were starting to come loose.

We called the usual contractors in our area and their estimates all came in at around $10,000. Finally, I got a recommendation for an Amish contractor and his price was just a little over $4,000 by the time he was finished.

The guy did excellent work. He and his men were on the property by 7:00 a.m. and they were on the roof and working by 7:30 a.m. They worked until 11:00 a.m. then took a lunch break. They were back on the roof by 12:00 and worked until 4:00. They cleaned up and went home by 4:30.

They were all extremely polite. No cussing. No smoking.
Straight dealing, the price that was written down on paper was the price we paid. When they were done, the yard was clean. I had to pick up no more than a handful of scraps. That was only because the stuff fell under the bushes. There was not a single nail to be found anywhere.

If you haven't done business with the Amish, you might find it a bit difficult to get used to. They don't use phones very much. You might have a hard time getting hold of the guy. When they do use the phone, it is strictly business. Most Amish prefer to do business face to face.

Be prepared to pay in cash. Typically half up front and half upon completion.

Everything is done on a handshake. What they say they'll do is what they'll do but be careful. They'll do exactly what they promise, no more, no less. Any good contractor, Amish or English, will put his proposal in writing.

We were a little hesitant, at first, but I don't think we could have gotten a better roof for the price we paid, anywhere.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: