Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Steve Jobs, 1955-2011 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Steve Jobs, 1955-2011
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2011 07:13 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

quote:
Steve Jobs Dies: Apple Chief Created Personal Computer, iPad, iPod, iPhone

By NED POTTER (@NedPotterABC) and COLLEEN CURRY
Oct. 5, 2011

Steve Jobs, the mastermind behind Apple's iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac and iTunes, has died, Apple said. Jobs was 56.

Apple did not reveal where Jobs died or from what cause -- though he has endured a battle with pancreatic cancer in recent years.

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today," read a statement by Apple's board of directors. "Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve. His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts."

The homepage of Apple's website this evening switched to a full-page image of Jobs with the text, "Steve Jobs 1955-2011."

Clicking on the image revealed the additional text: "Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple."

Jobs co-founded Apple Computer in 1976 and, with his childhood friend Steve Wozniak, marketed what was considered the world's first personal computer, the Apple II.

Shortly after learning of Jobs' death, Wozniak told ABC News, "I'm shocked and disturbed."

Industry watchers called him a master innovator -- perhaps on a par with Thomas Edison -- changing the worlds of computing, recorded music and communications.

In 2004, he beat back an unusual form of pancreatic cancer, and in 2009 he was forced to get a liver transplant. After several years of failing health, Jobs announced on Aug. 24, 2011 that he was stepping down as Apple's chief executive.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know," Jobs wrote in his letter of resignation. "Unfortunately, that day has come."

One of the world's most famous CEOs, Jobs remained stubbornly private about his personal life, refusing interviews and shielding his wife and their children from public view.

"He's never been a media person," said industry analyst Tim Bajarin, president of Creative Strategies, after Jobs resigned. "He's granted interviews in the context of product launches, when it benefits Apple, but you never see him talk about himself."

The highlights of Jobs's career trajectory are well-known: a prodigy who dropped out of Reed College in Oregon and, at 21, started Apple with Wozniak in his parents' garage. He was a multimillionaire by 25, appeared on the cover of Time magazine at 26, and was ousted at Apple at age 30, in 1984.

In the years that followed, he went into other businesses, founding NeXT computers and, in 1986, buying the computer graphics arm of Lucasfilm, Ltd., which became Pixar Animation Studios.

He was described as an exacting and sometimes fearsome leader, ordering up and rejecting multiple versions of new products until the final version was just right. He said the design and aesthetics of a device were as important as the hardware and software inside.

In 1996, Apple, which had struggled without Jobs, brought him back by buying NeXT. He became CEO in 1997 and put the company on a remarkable upward path.

By 2001 the commercial music industry was on its knees because digital recordings, copied and shared online for free, made it unnecessary for millions of people to buy compact discs.

Jobs took advantage with the iPod -- essentially a pocket-sized computer hard drive with elegantly simple controls and a set of white earbuds so that one could listen to the hours of music one saved on it. He set up the iTunes online music store, and persuaded major recording labels to sell songs for 99 cents each. No longer did people have to go out and buy a CD if they liked one song from it. They bought a digital file and stored it in their iPod.

In 2007, he transformed the cell phone. Apple's iPhone, with its iconic touch screen, was a handheld computer, music player, messaging device, digital wallet and -- almost incidentally -- cell phone. Major competitors, such as BlackBerry, Nokia and Motorola, struggled after it appeared.

By 2010, Apple's new iPad began to cannibalize its original business, the personal computer. The iPad was a sleek tablet computer with a touch screen and almost no physical buttons. It could be used for almost anything software designers could conceive, from watching movies to taking pictures to leafing through a virtual book.

Personal Life

Jobs kept a close cadre of friends, Bajarin said, including John Lasseter of Pixar and Larry Ellison of Oracle, but beyond that, shared very little of his personal life with anyone.

But that personal life -- he was given up at birth for adoption, had an illegitimate child, was romantically linked with movie stars -- was full of intrigue for his fan base and Apple consumers.

Jobs and his wife, Laurene Powell, were married in a small ceremony in Yosemite National Park in 1991, lived in Woodside, Calif., and had three children: Reed Paul, Erin Sienna and Eve.

He admitted that when he was 23, he had a child out of wedlock with his high school girlfriend, Chris Ann Brennan. Their daughter, Lisa Brennan Jobs, was born in 1978.

He had a biological sister, Mona Simpson, the author of such well-known books as "Anywhere But Here." But he did not meet Simpson until they were adults and he was seeking out his birth parents. Simpson later wrote a book based on their relationship. She called it "A Regular Guy."

Fortune magazine reported that Jobs denied paternity of Lisa for years, at one point swearing in a court document that he was infertile and could not have children. According to the report, Chris Ann Brennan collected welfare for a time to support the child until Jobs later acknowledged Lisa as his daughter.

There were other personal details that emerged over the years, as well.

At Reed, Jobs became romantically involved with the singer Joan Baez, according to Elizabeth Holmes, a friend and classmate. In "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs," Holmes tells biographer Alan Deutschman that Jobs broke up with his serious girlfriend to "begin an affair with the charismatic singer-activist." Holmes confirmed the details to ABC News.

Jobs' Health and Apple's Health

Enigmatic and charismatic, Jobs said little about himself. But then his body began to fail him.

In 2004, he was forced to say publicly he had a rare form of pancreatic cancer. In 2009, it was revealed that he had quietly gone to a Memphis hospital for a liver transplant.

He took three medical leaves from Apple. He did not share details.

In 2009, sources said, members of Apple's board of directors had to persuade him to disclose more about his health as "a fiduciary issue," interwoven with the health of the company.

He was listed in March as 109th on the Forbes list of the world's billionaires, with a net worth of about $8.3 billion. After selling Pixar animation studios to The Walt Disney Company in 2006, he became a Disney board member and the company's largest shareholder. Disney is the parent company of ABC News.

Analysts said Apple performed well during Jobs' absence, partly because he was available for big decisions and partly because his chief lieutenant, Tim Cook, was the hands-on manager even when Jobs was there.

The company has a history of bouncing back. In January 2009, after he announced his second medical leave, Apple stock dropped to $78.20 per share. But it quickly recovered and became one of the most successful stocks on Wall Street. On one day in the summer of 2011, with the stock hitting the $400 level, Apple briefly passed ExxonMobil as the world's most valuable company.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-05-2011 09:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly have my own issues with Steve Jobs' own vision on how to shape personal computing, but his passing is most definitely a very sad thing for the entire computing industry. Steve Jobs was one of the very few people in that industry who had a real vision or sense of direction in where he wanted to push personal computing. Unlike most computing industry executives Jobs had a finger on the "big picture" idea of things.

Nevertheless, the news of his passing has all the talking heads in the media repeating all the same old lies, giving Apple credit for things that other companies really did. I was having a drink with some friends when the news of Jobs' death broke. They started going off on how Apple was the company behind all the revolution in computer graphics. How so? I asked. Apple just provided the platform, one of which Jobs was pushed away from in the mid 1980's. Adobe and Aldus really deserved the credit for creating the desktop publishing revolution. But Apple has typically been given the credit despite the fact Apple did not invent Postscript, PageMaker or Photoshop.

The "i" line of products was a master stroke of sorts for Jobs -for the amount of money it would make for Apple and its investors. Apple rode a wave through the 2000's unprecedented for most companies.

The obvious question now is whether any executive currently working at Apple have a vision anywhere near as specific and clear as that of Steve Jobs. Already some questions are being raised in the creative professional market with the pooch screw that has been Final Cut X. What is Apple going to do to solidify its core market base and do more to attract other (Windows) users to the Mac platform?

From my own selfish perspective I really do not like it that Sprint will start selling its own offshoot of the iPhone this fall (the iPhone 4S). The truly unlimited data plan I have enjoyed with my Android phone will probably become a thing of the past before year's end.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-2011 02:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing Jobs to Edison is absolutely ridiculous. Not even close.

Case in point, Edison is the reason every one of us is here! Only a fraction of the group is here due to Jobs, and at that if Jobs had not been a part of Apple to give it the style that made the company so prosperous, those people would be here anyway on another platform.

What is accurate to say is that if Jobs had not been a part of Apple, Apple would be nothing today. After all Jobs' vision is why when I click on most websites, a picture for example, I have to wait for the box to slide into the frame, the frame to grow larger, and then the picture slowly fade in...as opposed to just displaying the picture immediately. Personally I cannot stand it when "style" gets in the way of productivity, but the success of Apple clearly proves that is what sells and Jobs' vision was dead on target. Full credit must be given to the man for knowing his audience.

I'm betting Apple will not survive in the long haul without him. Apple's future efforts will be no more stylish than Microsoft and other's poor attempts at copying it. Just wait and watch.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-06-2011 03:08 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edison was behind The Lumiere Brothers regards to the projected image and behind Eugene Lauste in regards optical sound on film.

The French are the true inventors of our industry.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2011 04:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing Jobs to Edison is entirely relevant. Both are believed to have "invented" much more than they actually did. Both were assholes (actually Edison was probably an even bigger conniving asshole... he was also a movie pirate). Nikola Tesla is so under appreciated. Read up on him. Edison doesn't deserve the amount of respect he gets. Some... but certainly not all or even most.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-06-2011 05:17 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with inventions is that there is often more than one person working on an idea at a given time. And the first to be successful is not always the one who gets credit?

Have you ever heard of Lyman Gilmore? He may have flown an airplane 18 months before the Wright Brothers. But he isn't even a footnote in the history of aviation. The only reason I know about him is because I went to the school that now sits on his old airfield.

The question of whether Jobs - or Bill Gates or any modern innovator - should be compared to Edison is more academic than anything else. What can not be denied is their life's work has had a profound impact on the world we live in today. Much the same way that Edison, Ford, Fulton, Whitney, and others impacted their world in their day.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-06-2011 05:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Case in point, Edison is the reason every one of us is here! Only a fraction of the group is here due to Jobs...
To be fair, we are a rather self-selecting group. If this was a Final Cut Pro users' forum, you could possibly reverse that statement (except that the latter would still find Edison's legacy in consumer power supply and electric lighting useful).

quote: Brad Miller
Personally I cannot stand it when "style" gets in the way of productivity, but the success of Apple clearly proves that is what sells and Jobs' vision was dead on target. Full credit must be given to the man for knowing his audience.
There I agree totally. His real achievement was making IT products relevant to people who aren't interested in looking under the bonnet, or understanding the mathematics or electronics of computing. The first (and only, for any significant time) Apple product I used was an Apple II in primary (junior) school, and even then I remember that the applications were designed to be as user-friendly as possible. My father, an IT industry journalist, had an Osborne CP/M machine at the time, and I still remember the difference between the two. The Osborne was monochrome, had no graphics of any description (apart from the ones you could create with combinations of ASCII characters), you had to learn the command line syntax to do anything, and Dad had me programming in MBASIC and Pascal.

Likewise, the kind of people who rave about their Macs and their iPads now would not touch a home-built PC running Linux with a barge pole, and vice-versa. They're different uses of the technology for different people with different objectives.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2011 07:15 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case in point, Edison is the reason every one of us is here! Only a fraction of the group is here due to Jobs...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be fair, we are a rather self-selecting group. If this was a Final Cut Pro users' forum, you could possibly reverse that statement (except that the latter would still find Edison's legacy in consumer power supply and electric lighting useful).

And then there would be those contrarians who would suggest that Edison's direct current model was impossibly cumbersome and instead give credit to the Westinghouse/Tesla alternating current system for really getting things going. So many steps and people all leading up to where we are now.

I do agree that Edison's greatest invention was his legend, but if he (or his assistant, W.K.L. Dickson) wasn't the first to project movies, his Patents Company probably was most instrumental in laying the foundation for the motion picture business, however unscrupulous it operated back then.

Naturally, when someone like Jobs dies, people do go overboard with effusive praise. My favorite commentary was a photo posted on facebook of a couple of the Wall Street protestors rallying against Capitalism...using an Ipad.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2011 07:25 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the "Apples for Students" program? Truly a stroke of marketing genius; kind of on par with AT&T giving Unix to UC Berkeley in the 70s(?). My daughter was in elementary school at the time. Now she is in grad school and guess what, she uses a Mac.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-06-2011 07:46 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Thomas Edison, I think that dude was a little bat shit crazy. I mean c'mon, electrocuting Topsy the elephant as a public display of the dangers of alternating current? Direct current is far more dangerous. I'd like to reanimate the asshole just so I could punch him square in the face. Tesla's idea of electricity is THE standard now.

There were some similarities between Edison and Jobs in the way they went after competitors both in the marketplace and in the court rooms.

With Jobs' passing, I wonder if this means you'll eventually be able to buy a Mac with a Blu-ray burner as original factory equipment.

Steve Jobs definitely made a significant impact to the American marketplace. But contrary to the way the press is painting it, he's not the only American to do so. I haven't heard anybody mention people like Eli Whitney or Henry Ford. Shit, we covered a bunch of this stuff in grade school history class. Did the folks in the press forget all about the industrial revolution?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-06-2011 08:32 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a good pop history of Edison/Tesla/Westinghouse read "Empires of Light". Edison was a pig, Tesla crazy and Westinghouse surprisingly decent.

I guess we can say if it wasn't for Edison there would be no Hollywood, as one of the main reasons for heading to LA was to get as far away from Edison as possible.

As a Mac user, it does what I want. I started out on tape punch and BASIC, onto CPM's and Fortran, onto DOS. Once I got a Mac I never went back. Ok, I did teach people Windows in the early days. Still, I've always found my Mac's worth the added expense. So here's to Steve Jobs, ya brilliant prick.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-06-2011 09:52 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I really don't like with the way the media is slathering on the love for Steve Jobs in light of his passing: painting Jobs as if he saved the music industry.

The iPod certainly caused some big changes to take place in the music industry, but I for one do NOT consider those changes to be for the better.

The iPod added more incentive for music engineers to reduce audio quality via tricks like compression. Current electronics software and hardware is providing the capability for audio to reach quality levels unheard of before. And much of that capability is being wasted.

The iPod also did more to undermine the "long player" album format, placing more emphasis on singles. Instead of visiting a local record store lots of people are just visiting the iTunes store online instead. Lots of record stores have closed, many of them "mom and pop" shops, thanks in part to the iTunes store. The success of iTunes had led to other online music and movie buying stores. Amazon has a music store similar to iTunes and easily accessible on any Android phone. Throw in what Netflix is doing. Convenience may be nice, but physical media is far better. And it does more to keep local retail businesses in business. Apple sure as hell won't pay any taxes to help fund your local school district, but a street corner record store could.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-06-2011 10:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
For a good pop history of Edison/Tesla/Westinghouse read "Empires of Light". Edison was a pig, Tesla crazy and Westinghouse surprisingly decent.
Mark Essig's Edison and the Electric Chair makes for compelling, if somewhat gruesome reading as well, with all the batshit craziness you can eat. He was encouraging the development of an AC-powered Old Sparky as a kind of reverse advert for Westinghouse as early as the late 1880s, and Topsy's eventual demise in 1903 was effectively the culmination of that campaign.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2011 12:35 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you just listen to yourselves for a moment? Steve Jobs hasn't even been dead for a whole day and we're already saying, "Well, he wasn't that great." And what gives us the credibility to rip on Steve Jobs? His success is obvious to the whole world. My success isn't nearly as visible. Now isn't the time for me to try to convince anyone that I'm smarter/happier/nicer/more sane than Steve Jobs, Thomas Edison, etc. Get over yourselves. [Roll Eyes]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-06-2011 12:41 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the complaints are more about the coverage than the person.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: