Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rodney Hughley, 1961-2011

Author Topic: Rodney Hughley, 1961-2011
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-07-2011 03:44 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my friend, Rodney Hughley, owner of Encore Technical Services, in Lexington, KY. Evidently, Rodney suffered a heart attack yesterday (10/6) and did not recover. He was 50.

Rodney and I grew up in the business, on nearly identical paths. We both had befriended and were mentored by master projectionists, across town from one another in Lexington, in 1974. Through a stroke of fate, we ran into each other at the Circle 25 Drive-In one evening, when his mentor took him to visit that booth - in which I was learning from *my* mentor. Rodney and I became fast friends. I remember how much my mother liked him. They made one another laugh. Rodney became a part of our family. He was best man at my wedding. There are so many stories I could tell of our high school years; running around, road trips on a whim to different theatres, having fun, and occasionally getting into trouble... LOL!

Rodney had an entrepreneurial spirit. I remember when we were kids, he converted his parent's garage into the "Lexington Children's Theatre," where he ran 16mm prints for the neighborhood kids. He started his first official business, a janitorial service, while still in his teens (Fayette Janitorial Maintenance - I will never forget), which eventually grew to employ several hundred people and service clients in several states. Many businesses followed over the years; news distribution, nightclubs, other service industries. While running his businesses, however, he always kept close to his first love: the projection booth. 15 years ago, he started a company servicing projection booths. Running so fast, however, he was under much stress.

I will miss him dearly.

Services pending. Kerr Brothers Funeral Home

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-07-2011 08:59 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear this - 50 is just too soon. RIP Rodney.

Glad to see a post from you again Tim.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2011 10:03 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad indeed. RIP young man.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-07-2011 10:53 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very sad to hear. I last saw Rodney a couple of weeks ago. He and his family always visited the theater. R.I.P. Rodney!

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2011 09:43 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. Rodney. He was a dude that could always make you laugh, and an overall cool guy. He will be missed.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-09-2011 11:56 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please excuse me, Rodney was only 48. I apologize for such a glaring mistake.

Visitation and services are tentatively being held at our old stomping grounds: the Kentucky Theatre, 214 E. Main, Lexington, KY, on Wednesday 10/12, from noon until 3pm.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-09-2011 05:03 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condolences go out to Rodney's family and to you for your loss, Tim.

And please consider putting more of Rodney's legacy in writing. I really was inspired by what you wrote in this post.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 07:43 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rodney S. Hughley, Sr.
Funeral Time: Wednesday, October 12th at 2:00PM
HUGHLEY, Rodney S. Sr., 48, of Lexington, passed away October 6, 2011. An entrepreneur and visionary, Rodney set the stage for a successful career in the theatre and entertainment industries over 35 years ago when he started working at the Kentucky Theatre at age 13. As a projectionist, Rodney was a vital member of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local Union. He ran movies and serviced equipment throughout the country for several of the major theatre chains including Cinemark and National Theaters before launching, Encore Entertainment Group. In addition, Rodney also shared a avid love of music, arts & entertainment with his wife, Angelia, and together they produced a wide variety of concerts and events throughout the region for over 20 years. Rodney was a member of the Mount Gilead Baptist Church and a Bryan Station Alumni. He is survived by his devoted wife, best friend & partner in love & life whom he shared almost 24 inseparable years with, Angelia Hughley; his parents, Louis Sr. and Warlener Hughley; one daughter, Gabrielle Hughley; five sons, Roman, Josh, Mario, Marcus and Rodney Jr. Hughley (Shameca “Nicki”) of Nashville; two sisters, Rochelle Morgan (Kevin) of Louisville and Deborah Ann Bond (Alvin) of Charlotte, NC; two brothers, Rev. Louis E. Hughley Jr. of Louisville and Gerry Lee Hughley (Vickie) of Cincinnati; a host of aunts, nieces, nephews, and cousins; and a very special group of treasured people including; Greg & Cheryl Williams, Bradley & Rose Tilford, Debra & Ashley Hughley, Fred Mills, Raymond Mitchell & the Kentucky Theatre Family, Randall Ross, Sammie Wallace, Glen Watkins, Kirk Blackburn & the Encore Technical Family. He is preceded in death by a sister, Betty Hughley, grandmother, Rhoda Allen; and sister-in-law, Sherry Hughley. A Celebration of Life will be at 2:00 pm Wednesday, October 12th, at The Kentucky Theatre, 214 E. Main St., with burial to follow in the Lexington Cemetery. Visitation will be from 11 am until 2 pm at the theatre with services immediately following. Memorial contributions suggested to The Hocker Family Scholarship Fund c/o Mt. Gilead Baptist Church, 3501 Jack’s Creek Pike, Lexington, KY 40515.

http://www.kerrbrothersfuneralhome.com/obituaries.php?view=detail&id=6780

Kelly Skaggs
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 08:11 PM      Profile for Kelly Skaggs   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Skaggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to hear this. Rodney was a great guy. He taught me a lot working for Cinemark in the early 90's and again working for National Amusement doing the Milford 16 install in Cincinnati.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: