Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's the deal with rental cars?

Author Topic: What's the deal with rental cars?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-28-2011 03:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last month we went to Florida for vacation with another couple and their daughter. We were in charge of renting the car. Since there were 5 of us altogether we decided to get a minivan.

I prefer to use National when we go to Florida because of two things -- you can pick out whatever car you want, and they're really conveniently located at the airport. Plus they're always super-nice to deal with.

I booked the car in August. After looking at quite a few different online sites (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) and also National's own site, the cost for a mini-van for 8 days was over $700. I'd never rented a minivan before -- usually it's under $300 for a midsize car from National at Orlando -- but, I figured, it's a resort area, it's in the airport, etc. so I went ahead and booked it.

Later on, my friend Keith asked me how much the rental had been. When I told him, he went crazy and said they had found a minivan from National on line the day before for around $200. I figured he was pulling my chain (which he is known to do) so I got on my computer and checked it out....and I did even better: Found the same kind of van we were already driving, available the next day, for 8 days, for $177.

So we called National and registered a gripe. In the end they gave us $350 off, but we still wound up paying about double what their stupid online quote was. Their explanation was that "the van was booked when the rates were higher." (Busy time of year and all that.)

So I chalked it up to experience. But now I'm curious, so I've been going on National's site every now and then and looking up prices for 8 days of minivan, and they're consistently over $600 or $700 again. I have yet to see the sub-$200 price...maybe it was a mistake or something?

I'd be interested to hear other car rental stories, tips, pitfalls etc.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-28-2011 03:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They work the same as airline fares.

In FL I use Enterprise. Off airport, cheap, and they let you out at the door you need (like valet.) I know it's counterintuitive, but off airport is cheaper, faster, and easier.

Also, airports charge fees that you don't have off premises.

This is especially true in Europe. Louis

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-28-2011 04:50 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a rental booked this year for a week and a day or something, when my return flight was changed by the airline because they suddenly decided they didn't need to fly here on Saturdays anymore. So they automatically re-booked me to return Friday.

So I went to the rental car website to modify the rental.

Suddenly, the weekly rate I had been booked at previously had dropped by $300. Plus I didn't have the extra day to pay for.

So...thanks for saving me all that money, I guess.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-29-2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had good luck with Priceline's name-your-price service for rental cars. Since one mid-size car is approximately equivalent to any other mid-size car, I see little disadvantage to going this route. I would hesitate to use them for airline tickets (due to the inability to select departure times and routing), but cars (and hotels) are fairly straightforward if your needs are not specific. That said, you may get a better deal elsewhere if your destination has a shortage of rental cars, and it is not a good option if your plans are flexible (as reservation dates cannot be changed, at least not when I last checked).

I have also had good luck with Enterprise off-airport locations.

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2011 11:06 PM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note for any non-US members visiting the US to use the USA based websites for the Car rental company of their choice...
I visit family yearly in Peoria Il, (nice place to visit once, just not yearly forever), and found that booking from the Australian based websites of Budget, Avis, and Thrifty can cost up to 3x more than booking from the same companies US website. Example from may this year for a 22 day booking was $2800.00 plus insurance via Budget Australia, versus $1200.00 plus insurance from their US site.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-30-2011 01:01 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Glen Rich
Just a note for any non-US members visiting the US to use the USA based websites for the Car rental company of their choice...
Unless you're a silver level or above member of a frequent flyer scheme that has a tie-up with one of the big car rental chains, in which case it can be a lot cheaper going through them. I've found that doing this with mine (KLM) it's normally possible to knock 10-20% off with Hertz than it with them or anyone else just getting a quote 'cold' direct from the rental companies' websites.

On the airport/off airport thing, my experience is that you only make a saving if you both collect from and return to an off-airport location. When I visit my girlfriend who lives near San Bernadino, I've found that there is no significant difference in price between flying into Ontario, she picks me up, then I collect a rental car from Hertz's San Bernadino location the following day and returning it direct to ONT, say, a week later; and just picking it up and returning it at the airport. However, if you both pick up from and return to the SB depot, it can be up to $50 a week cheaper. Normally that's not an option as my return flights leave ONT stupidly early, and if I asked my other half to take me to the airport at 4am our relationship would soon be over! But on the last trip I got a midday-ish departure on a Sunday, and therefore not having to rent or return at an airport location certainly did save money.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-30-2011 03:02 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All US Hertz locations are company stores not franchises so they are more forgiving about dropping off at a different locations within an area.

Enterprise is the worst in this regard in my experience and they are all franchises AFAIK.

They charged me $45 for dropping the car off at San Diego airport after renting it at a hotel 7 miles away 6 hours later. Last time I rented with them.

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 03:46 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After viewing their disgusting "business pro"tv commercials with that sob with one nostril elevated, I would rent from anyone but "National.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: