Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wells Fargo Bank- SCAM alert

Author Topic: Wells Fargo Bank- SCAM alert
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a 1-866 number call today where it was a recorded message mentioning that my debit card has suddenly been placed under limited use .. supposed to call that number up to place the card back to use - prob be given them the card number and exp date..

Please be aware..

thx-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 04:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you make sure the phone number in question doesn't actually belong to that bank?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 04:20 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: The bank would never call and ask you to call back and give your information. If they did call you, they would ask you about specific transactions after having you verify your ID by giving the last 4 of your SSN and one or two other pieces of info - but usually not your account numbers.

Caller ID info could say it is the bank, but that information can be spoofed.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2011 05:07 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rule of thumb: I never give any information unless I originate the call and the called number is known to me to be authentic.

Lately I have been getting more phishing attempts on PayPal. I forward each to spoof<at>paypal<dot>com.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 05:16 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
The bank would never call and ask you to call back and give your information. If they did call you, they would ask you about specific transactions after having you verify your ID by giving the last 4 of your SSN and one or two other pieces of info - but usually not your account numbers.
I'm well aware of this. But you'll notice that Monte was saying that they're probably fishing for the info, meaning that he doesn't know for sure.

I wasn't suggesting calling the number and giving them the info. I was suggesting looking up the phone number and seeing if it was legitimate.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 05:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Caller ID came up "unknown" on my cel.

My wife got the basic message in her cel mailbox with the caller ID number with a Jamacia area code.

Told her it definitely was a spoof call.

Also, if I would have called that number back that was in here phone, the area code is an international number and the party on the other end would have soaked up long distance fees on her celphone bill - in as much gathering up card info..

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2011 06:26 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email today - in my junk folder - that supposedly my Paypal account had been limited and I was to contact them about that.

It seemed to me that these sort of scams have been dormant for awhile but like anything else it eventually gets recycled.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 08:34 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one that almost got me was from DHL or UPS requesting info. I do business all the time and get tracking info on incoming goods, but this one is subtle.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 10:16 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most email clients allow you to "View Message Source" or "View All Headers". You can see where the message actually originated from that way. It's easy to spoof the "From" heading in an email message but it's impossible to spoof the tracking information (unless the bad guys actually have root access to your mailserver, which is reasonably unlikely).

DHL isn't going to send you a pickup notification via a yahoo mailserver.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 12:40 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get spam from DHL and NYC uniformed traffic ticket all the time. Always has an attachment and is sent to many addresses similar to mine.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-30-2011 10:38 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Wells Fargo thing is, in fact, a scam. It's been getting news coverage here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: