Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » BD to AVI ripper?

Author Topic: BD to AVI ripper?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-07-2011 07:41 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone suggest a software package that will enable me to rip a BD (Bluray) disc into a file format that lets me edit the footage in Adobe Premiere CS3?

Before anyone queries the legality of this, I want to edit clips to show to my students in a university, which is entirely legal under the educational use exemptions of British copyright law (Copyrights, Designs and Patents Act 1988, Section 34), as long as the resulting files stay in the classroom of a not-for-profit school, college or university.

For DVDs I use DVDFab to rip the disc to an unencrypted folder of DVD files, followed by Flask MPEG to fillet out a clip and convert it to a DV AVI file (PAL or NTSC, depending on the source disc), which I can then import into Premiere for editing, and finally render out as an H.264 file for embedding in a Powerpoint.

However, I cannot find any way of doing the same thing with a BD. DVDFab will let me rip it to an unencrypted folder (i.e. the same file structure as is on the source disc, only with the encyption removed and in a hard drive folder), but from there I cannot find any way of converting it to something that Premiere will accept for import. None of the options in DVDFab work (they all convert to a lossy compression format that Premiere doesn't like) and all I've been able to find through a Google search are packages that cost a significant amount and that may or may not work.

I'm not particularly bothered if the solution necessitates down-rezzing it to a standard def AVI, and I don't mind a paid-for solution, if I can be sure that it's going to do the job.

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: Brad - sorry, I thought I was in the Yak area when I created this. Please feel free to move it.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-07-2011 08:50 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible for BluRay, but it is easier and should be completely sufficient from DVD.

Most DVD rippers simply copy the Video_TS folder, which will contain VOB Files. These are essentially MPEG-2 files. You can rename the extension to mpeg or mpg and try if your editor recognizes it that way. The problem ist, that VOB files on DVD do not coincede by any means with main feature/chapter organization, they will contain menus, extras only separated by a 1GB filesize limit, so it might be tedious to extract specific parts of a full feature, or even necessary to join parts of two adjacent VOBs.

You can also download the free MPEG Streamclip - this will alow you to open VOBs directly, do simple edits (trim/in/out) and export to plain mpeg files without timeconsuming recompression. MPEG Streamclip will also open your ripped DVD Video_TS folders directly, and you can select audio tracks at will.

Should be all you need.

- Carsten

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-07-2011 11:33 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For BD, many are using mediabrowser to rip to mkv for playback from an HTPC or home media server. This is freeware for use on Windows 7 or Vista.

Another option for BD would be Slyfox's AnyDVD HD . Works with PowerDVD Ultra to provide BD playback on PCs.

I'm presently building a Blu-ray capable HTPC for myself and will be playing with both of these options over the next few weeks.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 01:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks folks. Carsten - I already have a way of ripping DVDs, and so that's not a problem. My issue is that I have a number of titles on BD for which I'd like to rip clips that I don't have on DVD. Therefore, I either need to buy things on both formats (not keen, for obvious reasons) or work out a way of ripping an editable clip from the BD.

I'll definitely have a look at Media Browser. A colleague suggested that what I'll probably need to do is to upgrade Premiere to CS5 or get Final Cut Pro, as they can accept .m2ts BD programme stream files directly for import. As I don't have a Mac, FCP is not an option, but I'll sound the boss out about a Premiere upgrade...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 04:34 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you will notice that things go much slower on BDs and are more complicated. from that viewpoint. It's not just another DVD. But you'll figure it out. The good thing about the MPEG-Streamclip approach is that no recompression is needed, hence very fast turnaround times and no fiddling with cryptic compression options and target capabilities.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: