Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Clint Eastwood vs. Steven Spielberg (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Clint Eastwood vs. Steven Spielberg
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-08-2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clint Eastwood vs. Steven Spielberg

I have been wondering about this for a while now, I wanted to ask the board this question on who will go down as the greater director in the history of cinema. While it is very easy to conclude that Steven Spielberg is the more influential persona, just using box office grosses and simply “name brand” influence does not tell the whole story.

For one, while Steven Spielberg movies completely out-gross Clint Eastwood movies, Clint Eastwood movies tend to cost less, and are not tent pole “summer” type blockbuster style films such as Eastwood’s more character/story centered films. It should also be mentioned that Eastwood has almost no interest in producing films that he does not star or direct in so Spielberg’s non achievements should be factored out, just like Eastwood’s non directed acting achievements.

So I was looking at the numbers.

Both started directing in the early 70’s, Eastwood has directed 31 films vs. Spielberg who has directed 24 films

Both have earned the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
Eastwood won four Oscars vs Spielberg who 3 Oscars

Both have worked directed some of the biggest stars

Both own their own production companies

There is no doubt of Steven Spielberg’s wealth compared to Eastwood

Eastwood almost always uses the same crew while Spielberg does as well

Both have a signature style in the way the they make their films

It is argued that later Eastwood work is better than later Spielberg work, while it is clear that early Spielberg work is better than early Eastwood work.

So what does everyone on the board think?

I am not asking who is more influential in Hollywood (it is clear that Spielberg is), I am asking who is the better director seeing that both started around the same time and continued to direct.

Who will go down as the greater director once these two stop directing movies?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can tell you is that I will happily go see anything that Eastwood comes out with. On the other hand, I've developed such a distaste for Spielberg and his stylistic tropes that I don't even go to things that he executive produces anymore, much less directs. I don't even watch the TV shows he's involved in. Falling Skies, Terra Nova, it's all the same damned cookie-cutter nonsense.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Eastwood will be best remembered as an actor. He deserves more respect than he gets (from the public) as a director. I think if you were to poll 1000 people and ask them what Clint Eastwood does for a living, at least 80% of them would say "actor" and not even know that he's a director as well.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 05:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...a bit of an unfair comparison since Eastwood started out in TV episodes, then moved on to big screen to continue his acting career.

Thus, Eastwood is an actor who turned director (and still acts .. "Gran Torino" to remember..), whereas Spielberg never acted - just always been behind the camera.

Thus, your call on this one since there is really no absolute answer since each man has their own traits and qualities - unfair to compare.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally I will watch anything by either director without knowing anything more about the movie.

In general, Eastwood's pictures tend to be small in scope and depend on story and character. He's famous for being an actor's director. One of the interesting points I've heard on this is he starts a shot by saying "when you're ready" rather than "Action".

Spielberg's movies tend to be a mixed bag of epic stories and entertaining popcorn films. When he's at his best, Spielberg's movies are among the greatest ever made.

With Spielberg the issue goes beyond his directing and producing credits. Spielberg's legacy is tied to his technical contributions to the industry as much as his artistic contributions. Along with George Lucas, Spielberg has been one of the driving forced behind technical innovations for more than 30 years.

From a preference standpoint, I probably prefer Eastwood's movies.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 07:31 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they both worked together (Spielberg producing and Eastwood directing), we got Hereafter, which in my opinion was an absolute piece of garbage.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 10:25 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eastwood.

David M. Leugers
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 11:34 PM      Profile for David M. Leugers   Email David M. Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the overall public would pick Speilberg because of the big budget films he made, while the "cinephiles" would go for Eastwood. If I was stuck on a desert island and could have all the films of one director to view for the rest of my life, I would pick Eastwood hands down. "Saving Private Ryan" was the best thing Speilberg ever made and I would hate to no longer see it, but I can do without all the repetition of themes and style we have seen from him most of the time.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 09:44 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Monte. It's not really a fair comparison. Both directors have their respective good and bad qualities, but the types of movies they make, for the most, are different types of movies. I think because of this one can't really compare them.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-09-2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew McBride
Both directors have their respective good and bad qualities, but the types of movies they make, for the most, are different types of movies. I think because of this one can't really compare them.
I think that you can compare them, the type of movie does not really matter. Matthew, overall who do you think will be remembered as the better director?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-09-2011 04:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...that question will have to wait until they are long gone.. like, C.B. DeMille, H. Hawks, John Ford, John Huston, et.al., to give out that final answer.

Right now, they're in a dead heat with great movies under their belt - some more to one than the other, but both aren't dead yet.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 04:34 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, you stole the words right out of my mouth, or in this case the text right off my keyboard. [Smile]

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 05:09 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO...apples and oranges

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-09-2011 05:47 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And pears, grapes, bananas.

Monte mentions some very good names. Here's more. Carol Reed, Orson Welles, Preston Sturges, Billy Wilder, etc, just to mention English language films.

All made great films and some so so films.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-09-2011 09:02 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
Billy Wilder
Sam- Would you consider Clint Eastwood in the same league, above, or below?

quote: Monte L Fullmer
...a bit of an unfair comparison since Eastwood started out in TV episodes, then moved on to big screen to continue his acting career.
Spielberg started directing for TV movies (at least that is what IMDB states), so I guess it balances out.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
Right now, they're in a dead heat with great movies under their belt
Would agree that late Eastwood directed movies are better than later Spielberg directed movies? There is no question that Eastwood directed films fail to compare to early Spielberg work.

I think its befitting that Eastwood presented the Oscar to Spielberg a year after he won for Unforgiven.

Spielberg Oscar

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: