Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fixing damaged jpg's and videos

Author Topic: Fixing damaged jpg's and videos
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2011 04:39 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to recover a bunch of photos from a partial overwritten backup drive. Most of these photos are ok and open up. The videos will not open with any program that I have installed. I just did a recover on another drive and found my old Iphoto library, and I opened package contents, and everything is there... except nothing will open. A google search brings up tons of recovery software options but very few if any "fix" programs. Can anyone recommend a program to use?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-10-2011 04:44 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
imagemagick can do some amazing stuff.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-11-2011 11:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much do you care about this stuff? If it is extremely valuable and worth spending money to recover, then stop right now and call a data recovery service. Expect to spend a four-digit sum to have them look at your hardware and expect no guarantees of success. Anything you do now could cause more harm than good.

If this stuff is noncritical but nice to have, then I second the recommendation of the Imagemagick tools. Alternatively, send me a sample file and I will take a look at it.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 07:59 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just downloaded imagemagick, but it seems like it's a bit complicated to install. I'll read up on it and try to figure it out. None of it's critical, although it's a shame to lose the past 5-6 years worth of photos [Frown] I was able to recover some of them with Data Rescue 3, but I'm guessing since the Iphoto library was in a container, Data Rescue was unable to process the files. Scott, I'll email you a few of them thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: