Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Memorable flick(s) released on Nov. 13th...

Author Topic: Memorable flick(s) released on Nov. 13th...
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Released on this day in 1991...

-

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2011 09:54 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great poster. It looks like it was folded into 4 sections as we received them from NSS (National Screen Service) in those years.

KEN

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-13-2011 11:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, definitely the NSS folds on there.

I'm not normally a chick-flick person but I did like this movie. It really cemented Disney back into the animation business. I'm looking forward to the reissue -- I don't really see where the 3-D will add anything (although the ballroom scene might be cool) but it will be fun to see it on the big screen.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2011 10:03 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very fortunate to have seen this in a 70mm presentation.

The middle of Belle's opening song is one of the most beautiful passages of song and lyric I've ever heard:

quote:
Oh, isn't this amazing?
It's my fav'rite part because you'll see
Here's where she meets Prince Charming
But she won't discover that it's him 'til chapter three

It is so sad that Howard Ashman died so young...I think he had a lot more great lyrics in him. His Sondheim-esque rhyming of "large" and "barge" in Gaston's song along with "bicuspid" and "maladjusted" in the Dentist song of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS was just genius.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-14-2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might do well in the 3D version...but I'm waiting for "Monsters, INC" for 3D.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-14-2011 03:16 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this film. I ran it as a double feature at the Pacific's Crest Theatre in Westwood in 1993 with "Aladdin". They booked "Beauty and the Beast" in 70MM and "Aladdin" 35mm SRD. [thumbsup]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2011 04:03 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to install two Megasystems 8/70s at two Muvico locations. I did the Orlando Pointe one first. I trained them and taught the main projectionist how to operate it and how it syncs to the sound system. I left a copy of "Olympic Glory" for them to train with. Then flew to Memphis to do the one at Peabody. They understood, pus I had the other tech from Megasystems with me, so we doubled teamed and were done in no time.

Then I get a call from Orlando, the sound kept going out of sync. So I flew home and drove to Orlando to check it out. The attached Kodak ad seemed to be in sync, and the disney logo seemed to be in sync. But when the first scene started it was about 2 seconds off. Then it would slowly drift out of sync. They kept blaming the equipment, but I told them it was acting like it had missing frames. They assured me there were no breaks and kept blaming the equipment. I finally started snooping around the room and found the boxes that the film came in. I forget how many rolls, but the projectionist left reference frames on the heads and tails. That explained the drifting during the film. Then I saw a piece of film sticking out of the trashcan under the projectionist desk. I pulled out about 10 pieces of the crinkled chewed up film and layed it on the floor. Their circuit tech was there, and I just said "you still think it's equipment? Then the projectionist came in and I pointed at the film to which he replied "Oh yeah, I forgot about that"

I had been on the phone with disney a few times during all this, and called to tell them the outcome. The asked if I would stay and put together a new print the next morning and make sure it was right. They delivered one early and I was showing the projectionist and tech how it was done. We used Strong high speed platters, and I was showing him how slow to go. There was a squeeky roller on the mut, I was almost done and the projectionist snuck up behind me with an oil can and by the time I saw him squirting it, it was too late. Oil splattered all over me and the print. I told the tech to get that asshole out of the booth, or I would kick his ass and throw him down the stairs.

I blotted the oil drops off the print and luckily there was no damage. Screened the film, reported to Disney and drove home in an oily shirt.

Rick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: