Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Memorable film(s) released on Nov. 16th...

Author Topic: Memorable film(s) released on Nov. 16th...
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 09:54 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Released on this day in 1977...

-

Released on this day in 1990...

-

Released on this day in 2001...

-

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-16-2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first Harry Potter movie featured one of the last Drew Struzan illustrated movie posters.

CETK is one of my favorite Spielberg movies and John Williams' scores. Some of the old newspaper ads drive me nuts with their misuse of the "Super Panavision" term.

Best moment in Home Alone: when the kid puts the tarantula on Daniel Stern's nose. I laughed pretty damn hard at that. Overall, the movie is rife with Roger Ebert's "fallacy of the predictable tree" problem. No tree is involved this time, but in reality it's extremely unlikely the bad guys would take a predictable path through so many traps. Despite that, the movie was a huge hit based on its charm and comedic moments.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 02:01 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Home Alone set a house record at the UA Southplains Cinema in Lubbock, the last movie to do so as I recall. I thought we would never be rid of that movie. We finally dropped it in May of 91 for Only The Lonely.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 03:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the opening day of Harry Potter very very well. I tore a lot of tickets that day. 8 out of 9 shows sold out at Movies 14 in Mishawaka!

AJG

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 04:01 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the opening of Harry Potter as well. I specifically remember building that print at about 11:00pm the Thursday before since the print wasn't delivered on time. I really remember having to "jerry-rig" the whole booth, 9 screens, to interlock the movie. The theater that I was at at the time really wanted to sell out big for the movie but only wanted one copy, which left me to setup a quick interlock fix. It was fun times though.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2011 08:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being volunteered to screen Harry Potter and kept nodding off about half way through it. I thought there was no way little kids were going to sit through a 2hr 45min movie. Boy did they prove me wrong! Oh well, this is still the only HP movie I've seen.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-16-2011 08:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of good memories of the giant crowds on these.

I saw Close Encounters for the first time at the Fox Theatre in Billings. At the time, it was THE cool place to see a movie. It was part of the Fox chain and had about 1400 seats. It's still in business, but is now a performing arts theatre. At least some of the film equipment is still in place - it had been converted to a platter house by the time it ended its movie theatre days.

We played Home Alone quite a bit off the break and still did amazing business with it. I still don't see why it was SO popular but anything that puts a lotta butts in the seats is my kind of movie! [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: