Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Next Star Trek film: May 17, 2013, and in 3-D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Next Star Trek film: May 17, 2013, and in 3-D
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-02-2011 05:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a little surprised that a Star Trek movie will be in 3-D. But, at least sci-fi seems to lend itself to the format. How's everyone feel about this?

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-02-2011 06:23 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a person who enjoy 3-D movies if they are shot that way with an image quality like HUGO & AVATAR, it is great news. If the movie was photographed in 2-D and converted to 3-D, I will see it in 2-D.

-Claude

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-02-2011 06:28 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care how it was photographed, I will only see it in 2D.

And if they do that fucking camera flare thing in every scene again I'm gonna boycott the damn movie.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony stole my thought.. 3D LENS FLARES!!!

Here is an article about Star Trek from June 2009 American Cinematographer. They love lens flares. They were intentionally shining flashlights at the camera to get the lens flares.

http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/June2009/StarTrek/page1.php

From page two:
quote:
If the built-in lighting wasn’t providing the desired flare, the crew aimed Xenon flashlights at the lenses as the cameras rolled. “Our A- and B-camera operators, Colin Anderson and Phil Carr-Forster, would tell us if we needed to go a little farther in or out of the frame, or up or down, to get the ultimate flare,” recalls Prampin. “It was funny to watch — Dan and I were running around, ducking, jumping and hiding behind things just so we wouldn’t be seen by the cameras. The flashlights were so bright that there are probably several instances where Dan’s actually in the movie, but you can’t really tell!”

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2011 07:48 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's in 3D, I woun't be going to see it. It will just be a collection of goofy 3D effects.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2011 08:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that, actually. 3-D is maturing and the quality is improving. The gimmick factor is fading.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-29-2011 10:36 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The gimmick factor is fading.
Agreed.

Star Wars I and most important, Titanic in 3D will bring back some interest.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2012 03:23 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: I agree.

Tom: Star Wars will be gimmicky, but sincerely hope Titanic is done well. The Lion King proved it could be done.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-02-2012 03:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and just imagine how great the new 7.1 remix of Titanic will be where they spread out the dialogue evenly across all of the screen speakers and re-EQ so it sounds like a bad home surround system!!!

Hey, it worked for Lion King.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-02-2012 03:56 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may well depend on how much of a premium they slap on admission.

The 3D fad is fading, and I doubt that Titanic in 3 dimensions will do stellar box office - maybe 3 weeks or so.

The new Star Trek may tank as well considering the release date is over 15 months away and that the rate of 3D B.O percentages is dropping rapidly.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2012 12:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 3D is settling in at about 40 to 60% of the grosses, depending on the film. It's been fairly steady there for a while. "Lion King" did very well in 3-D -- in fact we had one family who came to one of our 2-D showings of it and decided not to stay when they found out it was 2-D. (Which was dumb, I thought...."Lion King" on the big screen is great no matter how many Ds are involved.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-02-2012 08:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure why Titanic needs to be 3D. Can't fathom what it would gain as an "experience".

I don't think Star Trek "2" will fail. Maybe it will fail in 3D, but seriously, who cares? But as a movie I hope it will be good and succeed. Once 3D gets around that whole needing glasses to see it thing, then I think it will be time to become a permanent addition. What's next, requiring customers to put on a special jacket with motors in it to "feel" the bass?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2012 08:56 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since it's not a post convert 3D feature - sure... why not, I'm game to see it!

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2012 09:04 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen how good the new Titanic trailers look? I have only seen a flat one on film and online but it sure looks great!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-02-2012 09:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Not sure why Titanic needs to be 3D.
One guess: to give Kate Winslet's chesticles some 3D volume.
[Razz]

Getting back to the original topic, if J.J. Abrams is shooting the next Star Trek installment in native 3D won't that present a problem for his fondness of the 35mm anamorphic visual style, particularly all those intentional lens flares? He calmed down a little with the anamorphic flares in Super 8, but still the look was more flare induced than any Spielberg movie made in the 1970's.

I assume Abrams will be using one of the leading 3D digital video camera rigs for this sequel. To the best of my knowledge all of those systems are built only with spherical lenses in mind. Those lenses don't yield the anamorphic look (football shaped bokeh, strong horizontal lens flares, odd telephoto style flattening of perspective). Further, the best spherical lenses have more coatings applied to reduce or eliminate lens flare.

Maybe they'll just add some flares in post production.
[evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: