Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RIP Salma "Sally" Sawaya

Author Topic: RIP Salma "Sally" Sawaya
Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2011 10:50 PM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Salma “Sally” L. Sawaya, owner and operator of the Fox Theater in Trinidad, Colorado from February of 1959 until her death, passed away on November 19th, 2011 at the age of 92. Her lifelong work in our beloved theater business as well as her dedication to preserving the beautiful, truly one-of-a-kind Fox will be forever appreciated and never forgotten. Sally and her late sister, Marie Sawaya were also local beauty queens who contributed greatly to the fashion business.

The sibling trio, John, Marie and Salma Sawaya purchased the Fox on February 19th, 1959 from Fox Inter-Mountain, which still operates although is presently (and temporarily) closed in observance of Sally's death. They also built the Peak Drive In theater in Trinidad in 1949, which may be the first drive in in Colorado. The Peak got a new screen in 1986 after the old one blew down. The Peak closed for regular business in 1988 (due to John's death) but remains well maintained and in immaculate condition and has operated on a sporadic basis. The Sawayas were in the theater business since 1939 and also owned the long-defunct Strand and Rialto theaters in town.

John passed away October 19th, 1987 (06/28/1924-10/19/1987), Marie passed away only two years ago on November 1st, 2009 (11/28/1922-11/01/2009) and with Sally's recent passing, the curtain has closed in this remarkable trio's 70+ year career in show business.

It always breaks my heart when the "old-timers" in our beloved business pass away. I have looked up to them since childhood as they were the real pioneers of the business and were there during "the golden age".

Rest well, Ms. Sawaya

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2011 12:32 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew them Tony but for me it is always a sad note to have a pioneer die. I'm afraid the distributors are also killing off the theatre business as we used to know it too. RIP Sally.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: