Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sensitivity to dirt and scratching on BDs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sensitivity to dirt and scratching on BDs
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-10-2011 06:12 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have now had several occasions when both the BD drive in my computer and the player in the projection booth at work have frozen and stopped with a read error. The reason has always been fingerprint marks, dirt or scratches on the disc. On all but one occasion, cleaning the playing surface with some isopropanol and a lens cloth has solved the problem, and the one disc for which it didn't had a deep lateral scratch on it, which was beyond help.

It does strike me that BDs are more sensitive than DVDs to contamination on the playback surface. I've played DVDs in a similar condition, without bothering to clean them and with no problem. Given that the size of each data pit and thus the laser beam is so much smaller, that makes logical sense I guess: it takes a physically smaller and less dense bit of crap to prevent the laser beam from reaching and bouncing off the pit of a BD than a DVD.

It does make me wonder, though, whether, once arthouses start screening BDs on a regular basis as a cheap alternative to film prints (in the way that some already do with DVDs), if we aren't going to have quite a few disrupted shows.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-10-2011 11:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have already started to see that in one art location At that location all DVD and Blue Rays are transfered to a Hard Drive and played from there for the run

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2011 11:42 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a new one yesterday,I was trying to cue a blu-ray up and it played fine but would not respond to any commands such as stop!
It kept on playing,I had to unplug the Pioneer player to bring order to the Galaxy!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-10-2011 11:42 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More than likely Leo, or at least it will become a much more widespread practice to do check screenings/disc cleanings before shows. But with consumer discs, even a successful pre-screening doesn't guarantee that the next playback will be glitch-free. I imagine those screens that had reputations for showing dirty scratched prints in the film days will continue their crap media handling practices and have reputations for skipping and freezing and cancelled shows.

Yeah, the BD format is more sensitive to physical contamination. When the format was being developed, it was predicted that there would be such issues. One of the proposed solutions was to enclose the discs in caddies to minimize the exposure of the discs to contamination. But that method was ultimately deemed to be too cumbersome to use in a consumer format. In the end the BD format ended up with an extra scratch-resistant layer applied to the surface of the disc. Still, BDs are rather delicate things.

I like Gordon's observation. It's probably best for a professional operation to rip the BD to a hard drive and then do playback from the drive. I'm building my first HTPC and will be playing with doing such things for my future private screenings. Having the file on hard disc also gives one the chance to remove all the extra stuff that won't be needed/wanted during playback (extra soundtrack languages, subtitles, home video labels, etc.).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-10-2011 08:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you get around the "copy protection" when ripping a BD to a hard drive?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-10-2011 08:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this is what most people are using.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-10-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When playing movies on DVDs and BDs in a theatre, how do you get around from not showing copyright infringement warnings, menus and other things that are not part of the movie you are showing?

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-10-2011 11:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does ANY DVD HD copy the lossless audio tracks and/or convert them to full bitstream uncompressed audio?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-10-2011 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude - what we do is, start the movie, pause the player, and close the douser (the thing that keeps the light off the screen) before we let the audience in. The only "telltale" that it's a BR is the "play" symbol up in the left corner when we start the show.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2011 12:15 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do the same as Mike. I think it was 2 years back we ran a marathon of all the Potter films followed by a midnight premier of the latest one. What I did to keep the audience from seeing the menus FBI warning/etc each time I loaded a new disc was to time them all the weekend before so I could close the douser and switch the sound until the disc had reached the main menu. Since by default 'play feature' is usually selected when the disc menu pops up once enough time had elapsed plus a few seconds worth of buffer all I had to do was hit play, open the douser, and switch the sound.

Unfortunately all we had was a DVD player so the picture really looked terrible. If it had been Blu Ray I don't think the audience would have even realized we were playing a DVD.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-11-2011 12:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
At least you guys are trying for showmanship from consumer video formats. Way too many theaters I have seen just run through the menu and FBI warnings in front of the audience.

We had to do a bit of custom programming to get around these issues on the DCS, but the end result is that there is no "play" nonsense on the screen and the entire show is automated starting with previews/snipes on the DCP player and changes over to the bluray player.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-11-2011 12:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
How do you get around the "copy protection" when ripping a BD to a hard drive?
In addition to what Brad posted, there's also this

Paul Mayer

- posted 12-11-2011 02:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Does ANY DVD HD copy the lossless audio tracks and/or convert them to full bitstream uncompressed audio?
I'm pretty sure it does, but will find out for sure in the next couple of weeks. AnyDVD HD is what I'll be using for region code removal. I already use AnyDVD on my existing desktop (and on my former work laptop) and it has performed well. Slyfox has been really good about updating with the latest encryption schemes too.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-11-2011 04:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Does either of those programs actually permit you to strip the stupid previews, home video logos and the FBI threats like DVD Shrink does? How about subtitles and audio tracks you don't want? Can they "squeeze" it into a 25GB disc?

Paul Mayer

- posted 12-11-2011 06:21 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's my understanding, but it will be another couple of weeks before I get everything assembled enough to play with this on the new hardware and see what it really can do. As for getting the ripped version (minus all the extra crap) back onto another 25 or 50GB disc, that is what it is supposed to be able to do. We'll see.

For me, those edited/cleaned up files will end up on the 2TB storage drive within the HTPC. At some point down the road I guess I will be burning some of those files to writable BDs as backups.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: