Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's your top 10 list of movies for 2011? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's your top 10 list of movies for 2011?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-28-2011 04:36 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Friends with Benefits
2. 50/50
3. Hanna
4. Source Code
5. Contagion
6. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
7. No Strings Attached
8. X-Men: First Class
9. The Adjustment Bureau
10. Dolphin Tale

I still have about 10 movies to see that could replace some of these.

If I listed movies I watched in 2011, the Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo would be #1.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2011 05:51 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

The Help
Hugo
My Week With Marilyn
Midnight in Paris
Girl With The Dragon Tatoo (American Version)
Drive Angry (This year's guilty pleasure!)
Captain America
Ides of March
The Debt
The Perfect Host

Best would be between Midnight in Paris and Hugo.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2011 10:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My top ten list can be divided into two parts: 1 - 5 are movies I really liked, while 6 - 10 are movies that were pretty good but I don't really care if I ever see them again.

I realize my #1 was a 2010 film but I didn't see it until 2011.

1 True Grit
2 Crazy Stupid Love
3 Water For Elephants
4 Rango
5 The King's Speech
6 Rio (probably wouldn't have made this list if not for the music -- I'm a Sergio Mendes fan)
7 Puss in Boots
8 Fast Five
9 Cars 2
10 Courageous

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-28-2011 11:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I watched enough movies made in 2011 to come up with a legitimate top ten list.

I rented a pretty decent number of movies on Blu-ray this year, but bought very few. Come to think of it none of the movies I bought on Blu-ray were released in 2011. Of the movies I rented not many made me wish I had seen them at the theater.

Anyway, I liked Crazy Stupid Love, Rango and Hanna. Uh, well there's three.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-28-2011 11:12 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I rented a pretty decent number of movies on Blu-ray this year
Where do you rent from? Blockbuster? We have almost no real rental stores in Ontario anymore, no more Blockbuster in Canada and very few kiosks. Its really difficult to rent a movie from a store.

Justin-Great thread....Best movie was Planet of the Apes.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2011 11:22 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In alphabetical order

Another Earth
Bridesmaids
Cave of Forgotten Dreams 3D
The Descendents
Le Havre
Hugo 3D
Moneyball
Super 8

But I admit there are a lot of movies I did not see yet.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2011 07:39 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order of likeingness:

1. Cave of Forgotten Dreams
2. The Descendants
3. Letters From the Big Man
4. Midnight in Paris
5. The Tree of Life
6. Drive
7. Rise of The Planet of The Apes
8. Contagion
9. The Ides of March
10. Trollhunter

and also: Paul, Beginners, The Artist, Meek's Cutoff, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Attack the Block, Hanna, Red State, Into the Abyss.

And how can I forget Rubber, arguably the best movie about a killer tire ever made.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2011 07:54 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. The Artist
2. Super 8
3. Midnight in Paris
4. The Muppets
5. Dragon Tattoo
6. Real Steel

Haven't seen much other than this. Didn't really care about the list of films this year

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-29-2011 11:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Where do you rent from?
We have a few different video stores in town. I mainly rent from Hastings Books Music & Video. They have a much better selection of movies than I can find in some Red Box or Blockbuster vending machine.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2011 01:03 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

1. Hugo
2. Drive
3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 2
5. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
6. Super 8
7. The Muppets
8. War Horse
9. Midnight in Paris
10. Rango

Still many to see, but sadly, this town never gets booked with stuff like the Artist or the Decedents until well into January/February.

AJG

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-29-2011 05:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HERE are at least ten movies I enjoyed this year among many others

1 THE DESCENDANTS

2. HUGO (3-D)

3. MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

4. WAR HORSE

5. TOWER HEIST

6. DOLPHIN TALE ( 3-D)

7 PUS IN BOOTS (3-D)

8. THE IDES OF MARCH

9 SUPER 8

10 WATER FOR ELEPHANTS

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-29-2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, probably something like this. With quotes from my original reviews.

1. The Help
("They somehow made a movie with a racial divide theme fun to watch.")

2. Midnight in Paris
("...a delicious guilty pleasure about a man finding himself.")

3. Thor
("Wow. Marvel made a chick flick.")

4. Captain America: The First Avenger
("A wimp transforms.")

5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Electric Boogaloo
("I couldn't wait to see this one...until I was actually watching it. Then I was sort of sad that it was coming to an end.")

6. The Descendants
("...a whole lot of bad ideas that actually turn out pretty well. This never would have happened in your life OR mine.")

7. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
("Even having seen it, I had to go to IMDB to find out what the actual plot was supposed to be.")

8. Young Adult
("The result is sort of a Bad Santa for women.")

9. Moneyball
("Then you get to the end and read the follow-up and you think "Wow. What a fucking idiot.")

10. Fast Five
("My favorite of the year so far, which is more of a sad statement on today's movie scene than anything.")

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2011 09:53 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

Hugo
The Debt
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Crazy, Stupid, Love
The Tree of Life
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P2
The Adjustment Bureau
Winnie the Pooh
Bridesmaids
Contagion

But I'm in a small market, so things like My Week With Marilyn and The Descendants will have to wait. Like Black Swan and True Grit were 2011 movies for me.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-29-2011 09:58 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Melanie Loggins was the last to post
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I am glad I am not the only one who like this movie.

quote: Melanie Loggins was the last to post
The Tree of Life
You are the first to mention this movie.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-30-2011 05:02 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Revising my list. We Bought a Zoo is easily my favorite movie of 2011.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: