Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What the hell did Bane just say? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What the hell did Bane just say?
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2011 05:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell did Bane just say?

quote:
'The Dark Knight Rises' Faces Big Problem: Audiences Can't Understand Villain
Sources say some at Warner Bros. want Christopher Nolan to change the sound mix in response to complaints that Bane's dialogue is hard to hear. But the filmmaker plans only to alter the sound slightly.

Audience interest in next summer’s The Dark Knight Rises is ramping up thanks to Imax screenings of an extended prologue before Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol and the debut online of the film’s trailer Monday.

But despite the warm reception to the footage, Warner Bros. is running into an unexpected problem, one which is causing some handwringing among executives and others who are working on the movie.

Some audience members are grumbling that they can’t understand what Bane, the main villain in the final installment of the Christopher Nolan-helmed trilogy, is saying. Bane is a bad guy whose super-strength comes from a drug that he continuously inhales. In the prologue, the character, played by British actor Tom Hardy, is seen with a mask that covers his nose and mouth; his speech is garbled and muffled.
“A fantastic action sequence hurt by the fact that you cannot understand the villain at all,” commented Erik Davis on Twitter. Others poked fun at the seven-minute prologue. “The Dark Knight Rises prologue was really great, especially when Bane spoke the soon-to-be-classic line: 'Mmrbl ffrmrff hmrbblfmm,'" wrote one fan.
Fan websites, whose approval is seen in Hollywood as key to building buzz for big superhero tentpole movies, also have not been kind to the sound in the prologue. “We've seen the Dark Knight Rises prologue -- and yes, Bane really does sound that bad,” wrote IO9. The male-oriented site What Would Tyler Durden Do published the prologue’s purported script pages to help shed light on the dialogue. The site’s comment on fan reaction to the footage: “Most people immediately said two things: ‘damn that was bad ass!’ and ‘I have no idea what the f*** was going on!’”

Sources close to the movie say Warner Bros. is very aware of the sound issue. One source working on the film says he is “scared to death” about “the Bane problem.” And with good reason. The last Batman film, 2008’s The Dark Knight, grossed more than $1 billion worldwide, and the studio doesn’t want anything to tamper with Rise’s chances for success.
Sources also say some at Warners would like Nolan to change the sound mix, but the filmmaker, whose autonomy is well-earned (his Inception earned the studio more than $800 million and eight Oscar nominations), has informed executives that he plans only to alter the sound slightly, not to rework it completely.
“Chris wants the audience to catch up and participate rather than push everything at them. He doesn't dumb things down," says one high-level exec, declining to be named. “You've got to pedal faster to keep up.”

Nolan said similar things to The Hollywood Reporter at the prologue’s unveiling during a press event Dec. 8, explaining that it was OK for a moviegoer not to understand what was said at times, as long as the overall idea was conveyed. The filmmaker is currently editing the movie and won't have a cut to show the studio for at least a couple pf months.
While Warners has supported Nolan’s wishes in the past, moviegoer complaints about the character could create pressure to make changes. Or the studio and Nolan can do nothing and hope that fan interest in The Dark Knight Rises outweighs any issues with understanding Bane's dialogue.

I saw the prologue in IMAX too, and wow was it tough to understand Bane. Anyone else have the same experience?

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-29-2011 05:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I believe you are the only one with this issue. Perhaps the question to ask would be "Did anyone actually understand him?" but then nobody would reply because I doubt what he said was actually coherent in any way.

The question to ask is "Why is it this way? How does this enhance the film?"

JSR

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2011 05:59 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not know what he was saying but felt It added a eerie feeling to it based on the insanity of what was going on in that airplane fuselage!
I trusted we were in good hands and I am sure Warner is smart enough to know to back off upsetting Mr Nolan.

The scene was incredible all the same.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-29-2011 06:18 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would this be a problem when nobody can understand what Batman has said in the last two movies?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-29-2011 06:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nolan knows dialog is his weak point (as well as editing) so he chooses to make it incoherent.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-29-2011 06:58 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can' wait to see what the close captioning system will do with the lines "<incomprensible moomphing!>

Hearing impaired people will, for once, not be at any disadvantage. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-29-2011 07:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Hadn't thought of that.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-29-2011 09:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the trailer again. He clearly says "When Gotham is... ashes, you have my permission to die". He's easier to understand than My Cocaine/Michael Cain. Can everyone else understand him in the trailer?

What's funny is that I first saw this trailer on the front of Mission Impossible 4 in Digital IMAX (the one I complained about having the super-shitty EQ) and I couldn't understand him for shit.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-29-2011 10:22 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He sounds fine in the trailer. What will happen is that the audience will get used to it and everyone will just shut up (like they should) every time Bane appears on the screen. No big deal!

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-03-2012 05:03 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX Projectionists Receive Note to Change Audio for ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Prologue, WB Denies It

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Imax projectionists have received a message to change the original The Dark Knight Rises Prologue audio track with a newer one. This was believed to be changed in order for IMAX movie goers to understand what Bane, the main villain, is saying. It’s said that the background noise has been turned down so that Bane can be more audible. Here’s what the note said:

“Dear IMAX Projectionist,

Please see enclosed a new STAC soundtrack for your Dark Knight Prologue married to Mission Impossible 4 presentation.

Since your dubber may not be calibrated to the specs requred for the best possible presentation of the Dark Knight Rises Prologue we have created a DTAC disc of the Prologue and the Mission Impossible 4 feature sound track combined.”

Source

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-03-2012 06:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure plenty of IMAX projectionists here can either confirm or debunk this. Well, IMAX projectionist?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-03-2012 10:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What will happen is that the audience will get used to it and everyone will just shut up (like they should) every time Bane appears on the screen. No big deal!
But the viewers will be too busy looking at their phones.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2012 05:52 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I'm pretty sure plenty of IMAX projectionists here can either confirm or debunk this. Well, IMAX projectionist?

Apparently there has been a combined DKR prologue/ M:I-GP disc sent to those theatres who use the DFPII for features ,which are loaded from DVD, and their 35mm dubber for trailers.
It is said that this because some dubbers aren't calibrated to reproduce the prologue as WB wanted it so the feature and trailer have been combined in to one soundtrack file so they can both be run from the DFPII.

There is still no confirmation as to whether the prologue mix has been changed on this version of the disc.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2012 07:53 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update on the supposed re-mix

Warner Bros Denies Tweaking Prologue Sound

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2012 10:46 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received the new disk on Christmas eve and it sounds much better then the orginal Dubber soundtrack did. Not sure if it was remixed or not but it does sound better.

I however have never had an issue with Bane, there were a few parts I didn't catch the first time but most of it I got on the first go around. Now I have zero issue understanding anything he says.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: