Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Watches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Watches
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 05:54 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real Tag Heuer vs. fake Rolex, which would you wear? I've been wearing the Tag and just found the Rolex when cleaning my dads room. Up close, it's a fake (a good fake), I think. The Tag is bigger and last month I had it cleaned at a jewelry shop ($100 bucks just for that). The Rolex is thinner, but it has that "crown" on the face of it. I've just been into watches lately. Last month it was "pinky" rings, soon I'll probably re-pierce my ear and wear a dangly cross, or pierce both and sell a watch and get 2 diamonds. I haven't cut my hair in about a year. Mid life crisis?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-30-2011 10:34 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the Rolex second hand move smoothly or in jumps like most every thing else? The Heuer being real would have more snob appeal, though an acquaintance who has a sizeable collection says that these days there are some older Timexes that are sought after.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 11:13 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, The Rolex "jumps". Like I said it's a fake,but....It's a Rolex. As far as "snob appeal", the Tag stands out and the "Rolex" is slimmer and you have to get in close to see the logo. Too bad I left my Swatch in China. I bought it during a layover in Germany and ended up getting my dad the same watch on my next trip.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-30-2011 11:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working in "rough and ready" situations, I buy the "Wally-World", 10 buck specials.

Something happens to them..no cry over spilt milk - get another one.

-Monte

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-30-2011 12:00 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think anyone actually wears a watch any more. Cell phone == pocket watch. I have at least two watches, maybe three, and haven't actually worn one for years.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 12:14 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wear a watch every day, its a Fossil. I have 4 of them. I'd go with the Tag Richard, and probably pass on the ear piercing if it was me. But hey, to each his own.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 12:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skip both and buy an Omega. [Smile]

AJG

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 03:14 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of those $40 fake Rolexes once, only mine was an exceptionally good fake. The second hand beat 4 times to the second while a real one (I'm told) beats 5 times. I'd get lots of wild looks when I would tell people my brother-in-law gave it to me for Christmas.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-30-2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Frank noted, younger people don't wear watches anymore, except as bling. Me? I still wear one even though these days I always have at least one cell phone with me (one for personal use, and when I am given a company phone, one for work). But I find that glancing at a watch is much quicker/easier than pulling out the cell phone to get the time. Old habit I'm sure.

I have two watches - my daily beater is one of those Casio "WaveCeptors". It listens and syncs to WWV or JJY five times a night so it keeps very good time. It also has solar cells embedded in its face, so it never needs either winding or replacement of its battery. It displays two time zones which are selectable with just a couple of button pushes. Great for when you're traveling as much as I was these last couple of years. I've had it for some five years now and it runs perfectly.

My dress/bling watch is a Longines replica of their Hour Angle Watch - the one that Charles Lindbergh commissioned after he flew the first solo flight across the Atlantic in 1927. It has a good ol' mechanical escapement movement (though the replica has a modern self-winding movement). Beautiful watch! I've owned it since 1990 and wish I had more suitable opportunities to wear it.

For Richard, I'll second the vote to go with the Tag. I remember back in the late '80s in SoCal there was a wave of shootings and muggings where Rolex wearers were the target. It'd be a pity to get shot/mugged/robbed over a cheap $100 knockoff watch. [Big Grin]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-30-2011 07:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to wear a real Rolex when I used to fancy those things but as I got older and wiser, I thought wearing such a watch was pretentious and sold it for just about what I had paid for it. The watch I am wearing now is a SKAGEN, a Swedish watch I bought from Costco for about seventy five dollars and is very nice. It has a gray stainless band with a black face and keeps perfect time. I like the watch very much.

-Claude

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 08:18 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of the $25 Casio watches that sets itself to the NBS. I have had it for many years, and it still keeps better time than any over priced Rolex. After all, what is a watch for? To tell you the time.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-30-2011 08:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with whatever keeps the best time.

I normally wear a battery-operated Seiko that that I have worn for about fifteen years. I have replaced the battery and band several times each, but the movement keeps on ticking (no pun intended; it does not actually tick audibly). It looks nice, but it is not "valuable" and thus not a target for theft.

I also have a nicer-looking Citizen for "dress" wear. My Seiko is generally accurate to within :30 to :60 every month.

As much as I admire the craftsmanship of mechanical movements, the quartz models seem to keep better time.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-30-2011 09:46 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
I have one of the $25 Casio watches that sets itself to the NBS. I have had it for many years, and it still keeps better time than any over priced Rolex. After all, what is a watch for? To tell you the time.
That (Casio Waveceptor) was my weapon of choice as well until I stopped wearing a watch in favor of just using my phone.

Still works. Sits in my office desk drawer, beeping at the top of the hour.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 10:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still young and I wear my ESQ every day. You're right though, I don't see it that much among my peers.

AJG

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2011 09:25 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still wear my Bulova Accutron tuning fork watch. It was my parents high school graduation gift in 1954. Batteries are hard to retrofit but it still keeps great time.

KEN

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: