Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mystery item needs id

Author Topic: Mystery item needs id
Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2012 12:58 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently contacted by a graduate student who is attempting to identify a mystery item from the historic Fargo Theatre. Below is a link to some pictures of the item and the description they sent:

Mystery Item

quote:
The item measures about 7 inches or 19 cm and it is on two wooden squares, hinged together. The bottom is covered in felt (protecting whatever it sits on), and the topside has circular item attached. The circular item sits on top of the wood plank, where there is a metal disk (held in by a wing-nut on the back) then there is a sheet of a once malleable material covering the metal disk, followed by nails every quarter of an inch holding it down, then on top of that there is the brass bracket holding this all in place. The item can be propped at three different levels and also can lay flat. Some have suggested that it was some sort of lighting devise, but ultimately there have been no conclusions.
Any ideas what it might be?

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-12-2012 01:25 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears there is a mesh or screen overlaying the disk on the front. And I assume the circular hole on the inside is to accommodate the wing-nut when the device is folded closed. Since you say the bottom is covered in felt, I would assume the front part is intended to sit at something like a 30°-45° angle - propped up with the bar fitting into one of the 4 slots.

Difficult to imagine this being any kind of a lighting device since there is nowhere for light to filter through. I initially thought some kind of reflector, but that doesn't make sense if there is a screen over the metal disk on the front.

I wonder if it isn't meant to be some kind of wedge to hold something open.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it is some sort of sound effects box?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone should know that's the GENESIS DEVICE! [Smile]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-12-2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Everyone should know that's the GENESIS DEVICE!
 -

Yep... A blind man could see the similarities! [Razz]

Boxoffice window cover, maybe?

Lori Morris
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Lori Morris   Author's Homepage   Email Lori Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like an old fashion theatre seat cup holder arm rest ;D

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-12-2012 04:44 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like something somebody built in shop class and then challenged their teacher to guess what it was.

I hope they got an F.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2012 06:28 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was filed under H for penis streacher.

Seriously, however, it looks like some sort of lap desk, except for the wingnut. The bar fits into the grooves to give you the angle you want, but the wingnut tells me that something was mounted to it like a camera mount. Perhaps an old style camera mount, the hole being there so you can set it completely level?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: