Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Stupid Twits

Author Topic: Stupid Twits
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-24-2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://perezhilton.com/2012-01-23-twitter-feed-removed-from-movie-theater-site-after-offensive-comments#.Tx8Ulq5drzw

Australian Movie Theater Removes Live Twitter Feed After (Surprise, Surprise!) Offensive Comments

People are unpredictable and as a result, so is Twitter!
An Australian movie theater chain introduced a live Twitter feed on their website in an effort to anger parents everywhere be cool and modern (or something like that), but the plan totally backfired.
We guess the company wanted to get feedback on the movies they were playing in real time, but didn't anticipate how immature the internet is. Here are a couple of tweets about The Descendants and War Horse that the theater displayed on the site:

"Shailene Woodley's cleavage deserves an Oscar nod for their work in The Descendants"
"Went to see The Descendants … George Clooney is so f—-ing hot"
"I get that the guy and horse from War Horse were best friends but do you think they were also friends with benefits?"

Critics called the tweets "totally inappropriate" and Cineplex Australia owner Leo Catalano quickly removed the feeds. "We want no part of it. It shouldn't be on there," he said.
We couldn't agree more, but would like like to know WHY he ever thought this was a good idea in the first place.
People aren't exactly known for biting their tongue when they are typing their thoughts into cyber space. In fact, when people have a computer screen and username to hide behind, most of them LOVE to say totally inappropriate, offensive and, sometimes, downright hateful things on the internet. Just check out the comments on this site! LOLz!
Next time this company tries to get more interactive, we recommend moderating a comment board if they have interest in keeping their site family friendly.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2012 07:13 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old-tech steam phone can produce strange questions: Is The Iron Lady a follow up to Iron Man?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-24-2012 07:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently working on a user review feature for our web sites. The submitted reviews will require a valid email so the person has to verify they submitted the review. Then the review will be sent on to management to approve. I wouldn't dream of allowing any kind of unmonitored user content.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-24-2012 10:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's tried to do some kind of promotion on Twitter and it backfired. They had to take it down after only 2 hours due to all the negative comments.

Social media is a free for all. People can say a lot of rude things on Twitter and Facebook. At least there are ways to filter out some of the static.

I like Facebook's new subscribe/unsubscribe feature. It turned out to be quite handy a few days ago. I was able to hide the status updates, comments and likes of an ex-girlfriend without actually having to un-friend her. I get to keep looking like I'm taking the high road by keeping her as a "friend" without having to see any of her stuff popping up in my news feed.

I used the unsubscribe option on a few others (mainly friends doing too much spamming). Took some pleasure in blocking Zynga's Farmville and Frontierville games.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2012 11:35 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At a Los Angeles Kings home game a couple years ago, my friend Richard and I noticed there was a scroll at the bottom the video screen that invites people to text a message to a certain number and you could see the message on the scroll. I texted "I love Dick" as a joke, although I really do love my best friend.

The message never showed on the scroll. I can guess why, and that's exactly what you need with these kinds of ideas: someone manning the incoming information, and weeding out the wheat from the chaff before it becomes public consumption.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: