Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is 'film' still synonomous with 'movie'? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Is 'film' still synonomous with 'movie'?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-24-2012 09:58 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the movie industry is going digital, is it still reasonable to call a movie a film? Is the term strictly linked to the media?

I have always thought of a 'film' as being a more artistic movie, where a 'movie' was more just the typical popcorn entertainment.

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2012 10:03 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought a distinction of that sort was just about perfect, but - considering the general quality of pictures these days - it's well to remember that a "film" can also mean the sticky layer of dried sludge on stagnant liquid (think of a 5-day-old cup of soda that hasn't been picked up yet).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-24-2012 10:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They need to stop using the term "film."

If they don't have film running through the camera they're shooting video. It doesn't matter if it's analog or digital, it's fucking video. But "video" doesn't have quite so much romance associated with it since it is synonymous with television shows (the news, soap operas, video-originated sit-coms, talk shows, etc.). So these guys say they're "filming digital" and call themselves "filmmakers." Douchebags.

Honestly, anyone saying they're "filming digital" makes them sound like an idiot. At least when the Smurfs used the term "smurf" for everything from eating to whacking it we didn't mind because they were little blue fantasy cartoon characters. I refuse to give anyone in Hollywood or any human beings elsewhere the same amount of slack over use of the word "digital" as I would a smurf for saying "smurf."

The term "digital" is an extremely broad term, it even goes well beyond stuff related to computers. For example, a clock which displays the time in numerals is technically a digital clock even if the numerals are those old, non-lit, gear driven, flippy kind of things. Your fingers are digits. A light switch on a wall can be called a "digital switch" since you use your fingers to manipulate it. If you're solving math problems you can say you're doing "digital calculations."

I can stomach the use of the term "movie" for a 2 hour feature shot with video cameras. But let's face it, it's a damned video. It sure as shit isn't film.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-25-2012 04:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about when people say stuff like "I'm going to film my cousin's wedding"? Hell, these days you can't even say "I'm going to videotape my cousin's wedding". I think the word "shoot" should be used in place of film when used as a verb.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-25-2012 05:07 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In light of the above comments, I propose to legislate heavy fines for any cinema who uses frames of film in their advertising material when they are running digital presentations.

Let them try and use a hard drive to inflame the movie-going passions in the public. [evil]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 10:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LucasFILM

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 11:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old habits die hard. I still refer to our "film booker" because I've been doing that for 33 years. If I was to start saying "movie booker" it would sound weird. And if I just say "booker" then people outside the business don't know what I'm talking about.

Most movies still start off with "A (name of director) Film" in the credits.

It's the same way a new group of songs by an artist is still called an "album" even though many people buy songs piecemeal these days.

I do usually refer to "shooting" when talking about videocams though. (I've tried to stop saying "taping.") I've always thought the term "filming" was kind of dumb anyway. You're not filming, you're putting images onto film.

We don't use a film image in any of our advertising, but there is a 'strip of film' image across the top banner of our website. But, I think that looks cool so I'm keeping it. I will get rid of it when video producers stop using fake scratches and specks to simulate "film."

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still "dial" the phone even though phones have not had dials for a few decades now...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 03:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Martin's post about the preservation of film, I can see filmmakers hanging on to the medium for such, thus the term will stay as a "film" to be shown on the screen no matter how it's presented.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-25-2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
I propose to legislate heavy fines for any cinema who uses frames of film in their advertising material when they are running digital presentations.

I agree. Nothing but 1s and 0s should be permitted or else they have to close down for 6 months (all digital screens).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cameraman is digitally "ingesting reality."

In the cinema, we are "downloading content."

Please note the above and delete any references to film, its style, or its quirks. Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-26-2012 01:20 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Most movies still start off with "A (name of director) Film" in the credits.

"A (name of director) File"

And of course there's --

"A New File by Academy Award Winning Director N N"
[Big Grin]

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't even get me started on "process and print" instructions for negative, when the client means process and transfer to tape or drive, not actual workprint film. I gave up asking about that one 10 years ago.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear reps from digital cinema companies (Barco, Doremi, etc.) still refer to it as "film"

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2012 03:24 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One definition of "film" is a "motion picture." The definition of "motion picture" does not care what media the images are recorded on. So YES, a movie is still a film.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/film
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/motion+picture

I asked a friend of mine who was going to film school this question once, and he agreed. They still make films, even if the media used to make them is not film. Two different, mutually exclusive definitions.

quote: Joe Redifer
How about when people say stuff like "I'm going to film my cousin's wedding"? Hell, these days you can't even say "I'm going to videotape my cousin's wedding". I think the word "shoot" should be used in place of film when used as a verb.
While the term "film" is not inaccurate here, I tend to agree. I also use "shoot" when referring to photographing.

quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
We still "dial" the phone even though phones have not had dials for a few decades now...
A valid point, sir! [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: