Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Reports of shooting at Batman Premier. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18 

Author Topic: Reports of shooting at Batman Premier.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2012 03:54 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
web page

quote:
Gun attack at Batman film premiere in Denver
There are reports of casualties after a shooting incident at a Batman film premiere in the US city of Denver.

Police said 30 to 40 people had been injured in the incident, Colorado state's 850 KOA radio reported.

Witnesses said someone wearing a gas mask opened fire and set off some kind of device, perhaps a tear gas bomb.

Reuters news agency quoted a local reporter saying 10 people had died, but this is unconfirmed

|  IP: Logged

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 03:59 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I trained some of the projectionists there a few years ago. Very very sad and I hope these people burn in hell. This paints such a horrible picture of Colorado. As if the school shootings that have happened in the past weren't bad enough.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 04:06 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you happen to be online as I type this, Live coverage on the web:

http://www.9news.com/video/9newsonline.aspx

Currently, 14 dead (10 in the theatre and 4 at local area hospitals) and up to 50 people injured according to police.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-20-2012 04:48 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century 16 at Aurora Town Center. Auditorium 9, which is probably one of the big houses.

Police are looking at the suspect's apartment. My brother has an apartment three miles from this theatre.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 07:54 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to the live streaming feed from KOA radio in
Devnver since I first heard of this around 1am pacific time.

They just mentioned that theaters in France, where the movie
was supposed to open today, have postphoned it for now.

(It wasn't clear from the news report if it was ALL theatres
in France or just one particular chain)

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 08:13 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sadly it's being noted that 12 (not 10 or the initial 14) have died in this tragedy.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 08:25 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, 10 is what I first heard/saw, 14 came from a police official right before I typed it. I certainly hope that it's a lower number than that when all is said and done.

This is a really sad event.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 08:31 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those poor patrons. I'm so sorry for the victims and the theatre staff. This could ruin that theatre.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 09:04 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a horrible tragedy. A 3-month old was shot according to news reports. Why was a three-month old baby at a midnight screening let alone in a movie theater at all? Already the extremists on both sides are starting to squawk. Can't that wait a bit?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2012 10:03 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Ribbens
Well, 10 is what I first heard/saw, 14 came from a police official right before I typed it. I certainly hope that it's a lower number than that when all is said and done.

This is a really sad event.

Sadly, it looks like if anything it could even be higher; there are still several people in critical condition.

What timezone is this in? it was about 10:00 here when I first read about it. I think that's either 4 or 5 hours after it happened, and the reports were still pretty confused at that time.

No indication of any reason for it yet, as far as I am aware.

I'm sure our thoughts are with those involved, and their families.

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 10:33 AM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GMT/UTC - 07:00
DST is in effect though

Current Time Zone offset: GMT/UTC - 6:00

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 10:57 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am deeply saddened by these events. It is something that has always been a threat for us, for sporting events, concerts or anywhere large numbers are gathered sitting watching something. You become a sitting duck.

My prayers are with the victims and their families.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-20-2012 12:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a horrible, needless tragedy. The selfish punk who did this ought to be chained behind a pickup and dragged along I-25 from Denver to Pueblo. But our bill of rights prevents cruel and unusual punishment, so the perpetrator will end up spending the rest of his life in prison (on the taxpayers' dime) or euthanized like a family pet.

I just don't understand what possesses some people to commit violent acts like this. Maybe the dude is a sociopath who just wanted to see what it was like to murder and maim a bunch of people. Maybe he was making a political statement (whatever that might be). Maybe someone hurt his feelings. Maybe he feels disenfranchised and wants to "get back at the system." In any case, resorting to violence like this is just stupid and pointless. His act didn't solve any problems. It only created a lot of new problems for the victims and their families.

Earlier this week here in Lawton a guy shot his girlfriend to death and wounded her brother in front of a bowling alley around 11pm that evening. They were leaving the bowling alley, got into a bad argument and then the bullets started flying. The shooter drove to his grandmother's house and committed suicide in the driveway. Just plain stupid.

Most of us have experienced being bullied and outcast at least in one point or another in our lives. We've worked crappy jobs and done without. Most of us have experienced spirit-crushing heartbreak. Personally I'm dealing with my second episode of heartbreak this year. There's no getting even for any of that stuff. We all just have to move on.

These few dingbats who shoot up a restaurant or theater get a lot of press and a lot of hand-wringing from people saying how society needs to change to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Sure, the world is cruel and has no shortage of assholes. The problem is the rest of us have already been dealing with that by pulling up our big boy britches and coping with our various situations like adults.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's too bad the cops didn't take out that shooter in the parking lot. It would have saved the taxpayers of Colorado millions of dollars in legal & incarceration costs. And it would have given the vultures in the infotainment media one less thing to talk about.

Dean Brock
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Dean Brock   Email Dean Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a tragedy. I think it's safe to say most of us will never have to deal with this kind of scenario, but what if?

Anybody want to weigh in on what the staff could have done to prevent or minimize casualties?

I'm thinking top priority would be to alert the police and evacuate the theater. What would you do, throw the fire alarm?

Think it would be better to leave the house lights down in the auditorium with the shooter?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2012 12:51 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The man broke in an exit how can staff anticipate that? How the hell do you kick in an exit door? Metal frame, opens out, cinder block building. How do you lessen what he is doing in the theater, Gas canisters thrown in the room, a rifle, a shotgun and two hand guns. Are you going to ask him to stop? Are you armed? When would you know the gunshots are real and not part of the show. No staff member should be asked to go in to that situation. It would not be bravery to rush in. If a person isn't trained for something like that it is just stupid to do anything. Want a discussion on what they could have done they could have died and to suggest a better out come with staff rushing in shows a lack of thought on the part of someone suggesting it was somehow avoidable. He didn't come in the theater through the front door. You can only call the cops (which they did) and make an announcement over the sound systems to evacuate the theater, which again they did. In short they did all they could and do not ask them to do more. I realize you weren't suggesting they go in but I guarantee you someone is thinking that. The staff did as they should.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: