Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Screen Paint

Author Topic: Screen Paint
Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question that I hope one of you guys will be able to provide an answer to... Some time back the subject of one of the strings was drive-in theatre construction... anyway the conversation drifted over to screen paint. I haven't been able to find the posting since but would be interested in knowing the number of the paint mentioned as I am going to have a new screen constructed later this month at my backyard venue. In past years when working at a couple of drive-ins we used Glidden, but the stores that carried Glidden are out of business or now offer other brands. Anyway, the posting said the label on the paint used by the contractors in painting their screen had come loose after exposure to the elements... underneath was a Sherwin-Williams label. Anyone remember that posting and what the Sherwin-Williams number was? I would like to use something reliable when we paint our new screen. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2012 04:54 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most drive-ins that I know of use Sherwin Williams A100 flat. It's their standard, off the shelf paint.

I have used A100 too but now prefer Behr Premium Ultra White primer and paint in one. It's pricey, but I think it's brighter and only just now, after 5 years, I need to touch up a couple of spots that have peeled.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2012 08:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard some Drive-In owners use actual reflective street paint for screen repainting.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2012 10:54 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was my post about my "OFFICIAL DRIVE-IN SCREEN PAINT".

Back in 2003 when we built our drive-in, we bought a 25 x 59 screen tower from a dealer in Ohio, and had their crews from Ohio come in and erect it on-site. When they were getting ready to leave after the screen was up, they left me a 5 gallon bucket of "XXXXX PRODUCTS OFFICIAL DRIVE-IN SCREEN PAINT". Being in a rush to get the place open we took all of the left over materials and hid them behind the concession stand until a time when I could actually do something with them. Several months later, I finally got around to cleaning up the pile of left-overs I had hidden behind the building. Since my 5 gallon pail of "XXXXX PRODUCTS OFFICIAL DRIVE-IN SCREEN PAINT" had been sitting out in the weather and rain, the label had started to peel off the bucket. Underneath the "OFFICIAL DRIVE-IN SCREEN PAINT" label was the label for Sherwin Williams A-100 flat latex wall paint.

We repainted both screens 3 years ago with Sherwin Williams A-100 flat latex, and have been very happy with the results. We will probably re-paint them both next season when we install digital projection, just to make sure we're getting the brightest possible image on the screen.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-10-2012 11:46 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably too expensive for a drive-in size screen, but there is a product called "Screen Goo" that supposedly works well for painted-on screens. I think that the primary market is for theatrical stage performances that use projected video. Has anyone used it for motion-picture screens and, if so, does it work?

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2012 09:19 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gents, for your insights. Obviously, Sherwin-Williams is the paint of choice for the drive-in industry now-a-days. The reflective street paint is definitely something to ponder,too. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2012 10:40 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also to consider...
Last year at the DITA meet in Dallas, the owner of the Galaxy Drive-in down in Ennis, Texas (host drive-in for the event) had developed a product called "Digikote" (may have totally misspelled it), but it was to my understanding a "top-coat" to put over the existing screen paint. Supposedly made the picture brighter. Didn't see it in action, but there were several folks there talking about it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-12-2012 11:30 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem in this industry is "just following." Sometimes the leader got the wrong paint.

Certainly easy enough to test.

1. Buy several 4 x 8 exterior plywood and prime paint them.

2. Paint each with a different test paint.

3. Leave out exposed to weather for 12 months or more.

4. Prop up at bottom of screen, slightly elevated.

5. Lower projector to illuminate all boards.

6. Pick brightest one.

Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-12-2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, are you smoking something? And if so, you need to share with the rest of us.

quote:
1. Buy several 4 x 8 exterior plywood and prime paint them.

2. Paint each with a different test paint.

3. Leave out exposed to weather for 12 months or more.

4. Prop up at bottom of screen, slightly elevated.

5. Lower projector to illuminate all boards.

6. Pick brightest one.

Wait a full year? Lower the projector? Hardly easy by anyone's definition. [Roll Eyes]

Tell ya what, since you think it is so easy, why don't YOU conduct that test and get back to us in a year or more with the results? [Big Grin]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-12-2012 01:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have done it in the distant (18 years) past. Ended up with Sherwin Williams XL-100. I would hope there is something better by now. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-12-2012 04:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like Louis' idea since it is quite effective...one only has to do the experiment very rarely to see what will really hold up.

One could always get sheets of "Scotchlite" and stick them to cover the entire screen! [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: