Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney buys LucasFilm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Disney buys LucasFilm
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-30-2012 03:25 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I can't post in industry news [Wink]
http://blog.sfgate.com/bottomline/2012/10/30/disney-buys-lucasfilm-for-4-billion/
quote:
From The Walt Disney Company:

The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction worth $4.05 billion.

“It’s now time for me to pass ‘Star Wars’ on to a new generation of filmmakers,” said George Lucas, 100 percent owner, founder and chairman of Marin and San Francisco-based Lucasfilm.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, including its massively Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise.

Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.

Yes, but will Disney move to San Francisco — or maybe Marin — or will George Lucas move to Burbank?

Of maybe George Lucas will just go away!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-30-2012 05:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Disney-bashing is sure to be far and wide, but you have to admit they've done a wonderful job with the Star Wars universe in their theme parks. The new version of the "Star Tours" attraction in Hollywood Studios (WDW) is fantastic.

The bright side is, the Star Wars saga has nowhere to go but up, after the reception to the prequels.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-30-2012 05:39 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if the plans to release the originals in converted 3D is still going ahead. Disney/Pixar are very heavily invested in 3D so my guess is it will still happen.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a trap!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-30-2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, whom do I call to book Star Wars? Oh, wait, it's unavailable for booking. [Mad]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-30-2012 07:27 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Episode 4 is owned by Fox and most likely 5 and 6 but I am not sure about the three prequel 1, 2 & 3. The article states Fox will still control the STAR WAR films they own

-Claude

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2012 01:43 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that Fox didn't get it given the long time relationship. Now we get to look for all the Disney characters hidden in the backgrounds.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-31-2012 05:38 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Disney wanted to release all 6 Star Wars titles, they would just buy Fox....heh heh.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-31-2012 08:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't looked at the fine print in the film credits lately, but if I recall correctly Lucasfilm Ltd. owned the copyright to the Star Wars movies, thus really owning the movies. Fox owned the distribution rights in North America.

Perhaps Fox will get to distribute these upcoming Star Wars installments while Disney retains the copyright (and a good share of the box office pie) -kind of like what took place with The Avengers movie release (Paramount distributed while Disney really owned it).

With Disney gaining control of the Star Wars titles, I wonder if fans will eventually/finally get to buy original cuts of the movies in high definition.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-31-2012 08:44 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been my understanding for the last, let's say, forever, that Lucas owned the rights to Star Wars and would not allow the originals to be shown (even before he mucked with them) unless you were a close personal friend or something. Art/Rep houses have been locked out of them for years. I was also told by Fox some years ago that he had all the 35mm prints destroyed.

We don't know from the story, but I assume he maintains the copyright. How he's licensed it to Disney is the question, and will provide the answer as to wether the originals are re-released in any form.

Of course, Disney just moved its rep catalog over to Swank. It would be hilarious if Swank ended up in control of the original Star Wars films.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2012 09:38 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the big questions here in San Francisco is what this merger means to the
hundereds of employees at the LucasFilm facility here in The City.

News footage on TV last night showed all of the employees arriving back at the
LucasFilm campus after being taken somewhere off-site for the official merger announcement
and company-wide meeting. As was obvious from the pictures and as the news anchor
pointed out, none of them looked happy as they got off the busses.

Many just looked downward and shook their heads as they walked inside.

It's unknown at this time if some or all will loose their jobs or if Disney will shut
down the production facilities here in SF and move operations to Los Angeles.

Maybe they'll all wind up working at the Disney Museum, which is about a 10min walk
from the present Lucas building. Time will tell, I guess. But they didn't look happy.

Here's a picture I took of the main Lucas Bldg back in June:
 -

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-31-2012 09:49 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A New Hope..?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-31-2012 09:51 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another way to look at this is everything has come full circle and Pixar will end up running Lucasfilm.

Certainly Pixar makes better films than either Disney or Lucasfilm.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-31-2012 09:53 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^ Like.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will ILM continue to be the lead VFX company in the industry? Will it become another Dream Quest Images (look it up)? And will Howard the Duck become an animated series?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: