Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Inland Empire bus crash - 8 dead

Author Topic: Inland Empire bus crash - 8 dead
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-04-2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Story here: a bus on a day trip to Big Bear from Tijuana overturned in the foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains just east of Mentone, killing eight and injuring dozens.

Olivia and I have driven up and down that road for weekend walks in the mountains several times: it's some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen, but also some of the most difficult driving I've ever experienced. Hairpin bends, steep gradients, narrow lanes and adverse cambers make it very demanding even in a decently powered SUV and in perfect weather (e.g. broad daylight). Coming down that hill in the dark in winter in a bus is not something I'd ever want to do, frankly. The chances are that he was being tailgated as well, which wouldn't help: I almost always have been when driving that road (not being very experienced at driving an automatic transmission vehicle, on the right and in a left-hand drive vehicle, I was probably going more cautiously than the locals would).

Thoughts and prayers to the injured and the families of the deceased.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-09-2013 01:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all happening in the Inland Empire at the moment, and not in a good way, so it seems. The fugitive ex-policeman from Los Angeles shot two police officers in Riverside on Thursday, and was last seen in the San Bernardino Mountains, not that far from the scene of the bus accident. Olivia has relatives in Oak Glen, and so needless to say we're hoping that they catch him very quickly.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2013 02:19 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leo: I was raised in Pomona and lived in San Bernardino so I know where the Inland Empire is. But most of the guys reading this do not. So with your permission I will explain where it is. The Inland Empire is an area about 60 miles east of Los Angeles. The two main cities are Riverside and San Bernardino and there are a number of smaller cities. It's called "Inland" because it's farther inland from the Pacific Ocean than Los Angeles and its suburbs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: