Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Couple arrested and charged with a felony for sneaking into a movie

Author Topic: Couple arrested and charged with a felony for sneaking into a movie
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2013 08:21 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Article

quote: The Smoking Gun

FEBRUARY 26--Meet Lendsey and Delilha Harbin

The married couple went to the movies Saturday night at a multiplex in Portage, Indiana, where they watched “Snitch,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. When the action flick ended, the Harbins exited theater #13 and headed into theater #15, where the zombie film “Warm Bodies” was about to start.

The Harbins, however, had not purchased $6.75 tickets to the second movie, which resulted in the duo’s arrest for felony theft, according to a Portage Police Department report.

Two off-duty cops working security at the Portage 16 IMAX were standing outside theater #13 as “Snitch” was letting out. One officer reported alerting to Lendsey Harbin, 49, due to his “very colorful clothing, white vest, white dress pants, and a bright red shirt.” The second cop advised that he thought the Harbins had previously “attempted to sneak into movies without paying for the tickets.”

After the cops could not locate the Harbins in the hallway, they canvassed surrounding theaters and found the couple waiting for “Warm Bodies” to begin. After previews had ended and the movie started, the officers approached the Harbins and requested they exit the theater.

When asked for their ticket stubs, the Harbins came up empty. “I know we done wrong,” said Delilha Harbin, 40. The pair reportedly “advised they had snuck into movies at this movie complex 3 to 4 other times.” The Harbins, who live in nearby Gary, Indiana, also claimed they “were at a funeral all day and just were not thinking correctly.”

The duo was “taken into custody without incident” and transported to the Porter County jail, where they were booked on the felony count and later released on their own recognizance.

Felony charges over $6.75? Wow, you people are tough in Indiana...

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-28-2013 08:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That does seem rather extreme.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that they shouldn't have been apprehended and charged (loss of revenue from people sneaking into theatres is a major problem, or at least it was when I worked in them), but a punishment on that scale is surely going to undermine confidence in the law. It reminds me of the incident a few months ago when someone here was fined £2,000 and given a suspended jail sentence for putting non-recyclable items in her recycling bin, and then the following day a thug was given no more than a probation order for kicking a stranger's head in and leaving him needing multiple surgeries on the street one night. The view was expressed in the forum site of my local paper that the police would far rather arrest compliant, soft targets such as the recycling lady than violent criminals, the apprehension of which might put their own safety at risk.

Note of explanation for British readers: The distinction between a misdemeanour and a felony in US law is roughly equivalent to that between a summary (trial by magistrate) and an indictable (by jury) offence here, except that in most US states, a felony conviction has other legal consequences that a criminal record in Britain doesn't, including loss of the right to vote (for life) and to work in certain jobs (e.g. law and medicine).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-28-2013 09:03 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like BS to me. If it really was a felony, why were they ROR?

I think Deputy Fife trumped up the charges.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2013 10:53 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good lawyer will dispense with this in a heartbeat. And what's this business that they were found "sneaking" into a second theatre? They didn't have to SNEAK in because theatres, at least here in NYC, make no effort whatsoever to stop people from doing just that.

If a theatre were really being finacially hurt by screen hoppers, all they would need to do is put a ticket-taker at each theatre entrance, or they would have traffic designs that would corral patrons into a specific theatre a the point of ticket-taking. Or use smart tickets that would set off an alarm if someone with a ticket for one theatre tried to enter any another.

I once was told by a manager that as far as he was concerned, the longer a patron stays in the theatre, the better. If they "sneak" into a second movie they are likely to buy more concessions. He said the theatre keeps 98% of concession profits and only 20% of the ticket sale. Do the math. His concession per capita goes up the longer the patron stays in that theatre.

I don't even think I have ever seen a sign posted anywhere in a chain theatre saying that screen hopping was not permitted or even illegal. There has always been very visible anti-copyrighting communication from screen trailers to posted 1-sheets, but a decided lack of communicating that screen hopping is illegal. I've seen signage posted in many department stores announcing that shoplifting is illegal and will be prosecuted, but never such postings about screen hopping in theatres. A good defense lawyer could use that laissez-faire stance by the theatres to his client's advantage.

The felony charge of course is bogus; I would think even a misdemeanor would be excessive. Slap a few thousand dollars fine on them should send the message home loud and clear.

The last thought, just from what you want patrons to experience in your theatre, I would never pull someone out of the theatre once the show started for anything except if they were disturbing others. To cause a scene like that is very disturbing to everyone in that room and guarantee it would leave those patrons with a negative impression of thae theare, especially since they have no idea why the cops are dragging them out of their seats.

I would always wait for the show to be over and then do what is necessary as quietly and unobtrusively as possible, probably get them into an office to make the arrest. In this case they were arrested without incident, but supposed they made a scene; suppose the woman started crying or yelling or resisting? You could wind up traumatizing your patrons. Aside from it be disruptive to everyone watching the movie, people find that kind of thing very disturbing when they thought they were just going out for a relazing evening. Sure the couple was apprehended, but you always have to balance it against what cost. What to you gain, what do you loose. And the theatre didn't get their lost ticket sales back by the arrest.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's better than dying in police custody after trying to watch a second movie:

LINK

FREDERICK, Md. (AP/ABC7) - State and Frederick County officials are investigating the death of an intellectually disabled man who had a medical emergency when he was handcuffed by deputies at a movie theater in Frederick.

The Frederick County Sheriff's Office says deputies were called after 26-year-old Robert Saylor of New Market refused to leave the theater on Saturday.

Saylor's mother, Patti Saylor, said her son was with a health aide when he left their home last Saturday night to see the movie "Zero Dark Thirty."

When the movie ended he wanted to see it again and refused to leave. Three sheriff's deputies, working a detail at the theater, were called in to handle the situation.

Authorities say he was handcuffed and was resisting the deputies' attempts to remove him when he had a medical emergency. The office says the deputies removed the handcuffs and took him to a hospital, where he died.

Cpl. Jennifer Bailey, a sheriff's office spokeswoman, tells The Frederick News-Post that Saylor had Down syndrome. She says the office delayed releasing information about his death at his family's request. An autopsy is being conducted.

Patti is fighting to understand how a brush with the law ended in her son's death.

"He just loved unconditionally every body," Saylor said.

Patti said her son had no pre-existing medical conditions, and she can't understand how he died after being taken into police custody.

"He has never had anyone put their hands on him in his life. He would not have been doing anything threatening to anybody," she added.

With a heavy heart, his mother waits for the medical examiner's report.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-28-2013 11:34 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank--I don't disagree with you on principle, but most multiplex-style tickets do say on the back something to the effect of "valid only for the date, time, title, and auditorium indicated" and "patrons should retain tickets as proof of purchase." That seems like it should be enough to demonstrate that theatres do not want people to move from one screen to another, just as multi-screen drive-ins have policies about not switching screens for the second feature.

The felony thing is insane, though. The manager should have given the customers the choice of paying for a ticket for the second show or leaving. If they refused, he should have then called the cops and had them arrested for trespassing. Getting the customers charged with a felony just makes the industry look bad, and also devalues the legal system generally. In any case, this isn't theft. Nothing was stolen (at least according to the article). Trespassing, yes, but not theft.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-28-2013 11:51 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charge them with a felony and plead out on a misdemeanor, skip the whole messy and expensive trial. Pretty much how the justice system works in this country.

Though, I have to agree this is total overkill.

White vest and red shirt at a funeral?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-28-2013 12:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie theaters shouldn't have to tolerate customers sneaking from one auditorium to the next, be it someone trying to see two movies for the price of one ticket or underage kids trying to sneak from one movie to see an R-rated movie in another auditorium.

However, charging a couple with a felony is bat shit insane.

I'm wondering what it's going to cost taxpayers in the legal process of prosecuting these people with a felony. I guarantee the cost is a hell of a lot more than the price of two movie tickets. But that's our legal system for you. Tough on crime but laughably stupid on handling it too.

One has to figure in the consequence of giving someone a felony conviction over an unpaid movie ticket. Once someone has a felony on their record LOTS of employment opportunities are gone for life. And odds of that person resorting to more serious crime increase.

And then there's the damage this sort of action does to the theater's reputation. I wouldn't want to visit a movie theater if the chance was there I could be arrested and convicted of a felony if I somehow lost my ticket stub and couldn't prove I paid to see the movie I was watching. Who needs any of that crap?

quote: Dennis Benjamin
State and Frederick County officials are investigating the death of an intellectually disabled man who had a medical emergency when he was handcuffed by deputies at a movie theater in Frederick.
The police officers in this case are either morons or perverted sadists. Not to pick on people with Downs Syndrome, but it is pretty damned easy to tell if they are affected by it. So either these officers were beyond dumb and couldn't pick up on the physical attributes and verbal response of someone with Downs Syndrome or they just took the opportunity to be absolute cruel bastards to a mentally challenged guy. There's plenty of good cops out there, but police departments all over this country have their former school yard bullies and power trip psychos too. That young man's death puts a nasty stain over the reputation of the Frederick, MD police dept.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: