Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shaw Brothers Film Festival

Author Topic: Shaw Brothers Film Festival
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2013 07:03 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 24 years I have been in the business, I've always wanted to do a Shaw Brothers Film Festival. I received permission from Celestial back when I was in Vegas, but the chain I worked for didn't allow me to run it (it may have been logistical, print handling stuff, I really don't remember).

Anyways, now that we live in a digital world and SOME of their titles are available on Blu-Ray, I was thinking about contacting Celestial again and attempting to book of few of the classic "Martial Arts" titles that they have:

"The 36th Chamber of Shaolin"
"The 5 Deadly Venoms"
"Chinese Super Ninjas" or "Five Element Ninjas"

are three titles that come to mind.

Anyone else have any ideas on titles? I can get the audience in the doors for the films, I was just trying to think of other titles. I don't believe that these titles are available in D.C.P. form (of course I could make them, but Blu-Ray would be fine).

Anyways - what do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2013 04:20 PM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Oily Maniac (1976). Crippled hero turns into an Grease Monster to fight the baddies. Highly underrated - reminded me of the Toxic Avenger.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-07-2013 06:33 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Shaw Brothers motion picture company used to have a theatre in Honolulu when thy leased the former International Theatre which used to be the first run venue for Daiei motion pictures from Japan. The theatre was a beautiful house and had seating for about 800. When the SHaw brothers took over the theatre, they mounted a huge logo which resembled Warner Brothers on the front facade of the building and it looked very impressive. Golden Harvest, another Hong move studio also had a first run venue here. Chinese martial arts pictures as well as other kinds of pictures were very popular here with our large Asian population.

-Claude

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2013 03:50 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran lot of their films in the late 70's to early 80's. The only think i remember was that it seemed like most of the were in SHAWSCOPE

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: